frightened about abdominal pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm a little concerned about some discomfort I am experiencing in my lower right abdomen. 2 weeks ago I was feeling tired and had a slight pain in my lower right abdomen. The pain gradually got worse and by 8.30pm a few hours after dinner I felt nausous. The pain radiated throughout my whole abdomen and around to my back by the time I went to bed at 10.30pm. The next couple of days I felt much better and no longer nausous but I still had discomfort in my lower right abdomen. I have also felt like I have had trapped wind ever since and I very rarely break wind. The only relief I get is when I go to the bathroom and that is usually diarrhea. The last 4 days my appetite has returned and the discomfort is lessening but I'm frightened to eat in case it causes me to get wind or pain again. I have been extremely anxious over the last 6-8 months due to work and life pressures. I am booked in to see my GP this afternoon but I am terrified of doctors/hospitals etc. I'm wondering if this sounds like IBS or something more sinister such as cancer or my appendix

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Need to keep a diary and see which foods give you abdominal discomfort. And then start eliminating foods that do.
  • Posted

Sounds like IBS;  monitor what you eat. Health anxiety pre and post IBS diagnosis is very common. Irritable bowel can be triggered six months after a stressful event.  I am terrified of doctors and hospitals too and this increased my panic when I had to go back and forth to my GP on s weekly basis for three and a half months.  I was eventually diagnosed with IBS,
  • Posted

Have you had appendictis ruled out, it could be that or grumbling appendix!
  • Posted

Your appendix wouldn't really cause pain that comes and goes in my experience.  When I had appendicitis, it started out feeling like bad heartburn and then moved down into my lower right side, increasing in intensity until I couldn't do anything except lay in a fetal position.  There was no relief from it at any point until it was out (after it had ruptured, unfortunately).  From what I've been told by doctors over the years, cancer rarely causes pain (aside from brain tumors, which normally cause blinding headaches), so I wouldn't stress yourself out about that.

What you're dealing with sounds more like dietary/IBS issues.  Try eliminating dairy for a few days and eating a very bland diet.  Avoid alcohol and caffeine.  See if that helps.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.