Frightened of being sick :'( *crying*

Posted , 33 users are following.

Ive had this massive phobia of every morning I wake up hoping I dont vomit, I cant get this out of my head. I take alka seltzers every time I feel the slightest bit of nausea... I over think this and then it makes me anxious... I am on sertraline and this does work for my anxiety... however this is a fear I have had for years.. I cant seem to convince myself that I will be fine and Ive no reason to feel nauseous or vomit. I drink peppermint green tea.. I have peppermint mints.. (obviously) and Im terrified by this... Is there anything anyone can suggest?

I even wake up during the night terrified Ill be sick. Its really getting to me, Im careful with what I eat.. Im quite a healthy person its just all in my head and Ive no reason why!?

Please help sad this is the first time I have ever admitted to this problem. I often think if I go toilet then its good that means that my digestive system is going down and not up! please help guys and girls... please sad sad

Id like to mention my sertraline has no affect on this as I felt like this before being prescribed my sertraline.

x

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know how you feel, I'm petrified of being sick, but I consistently feel sick do some bizarre reason and I don't know what to do. Whenever someone I know feels sick I will instantly isolate myself and then panick that I'm going to contract somthing.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

• Posted

I know EXACTLY how you feel.  I'm constantly fearful of others around me, and since its flu season I FREAK OUT.  Somebody in my gym class threw up today on the floor during floor hockey, and I was instantly triggered.  Aside of that, this morning my MOM was throwing up.  I felt sick all day because of this, and I tried to avoid my mom all day.   I got irritated if she went into my room to do laundry, or if she was going to feed me because I was scared that I would consume or breathe in the germs.  I even pushed her away if she came too close.  I want a flu shot but I'm also constantly worrying about if I'm going to be allergic to the vaccine.  (I've heard stories about allergic reactions to flu shots).  I'm allergic to a lot of things, such as dogs, mosquitos, tree nuts, and dairy.  I'm always fearful of what I eat at resturaunts and even school because I'm scared I'm going to have an allergic reaction.  My reactions aren't little, either.  I could DIE from a cashew.. and other nuts make me throw up and make my throat close.  I'm SEVERELY scared of throwing up, even feeling the slightest verge of nauseousness makes me panic.  My mom attempted to convince me that she felt better as the day went on, but I'm not convinced easily.  I have acid reflux, (known as GERD), and this also constantly affects me.  I also have severe depression, anxiety, OCD, and ADHD which affects my every day life.  There was even a point where I just wanted to end it all.. but I didn't.. I'd never have the nerve to.  I'm currently visiting a therapist, but she isn't doing much help.  I HATE going out in public (especially school) because I'm worried that even the slightest cough on my shoulder will make me sick.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to cure this phobia, but here are some things that helped:

-Medicine for nauseousness such as Pepto Bismol, Dramamine, or an acid reducer.

-Meditation.

-Avoiding contact with videos containing (or related to) throwing up or being sick.

Get well soon!  (:

-Kylie

• Posted

I work in a hospital and I am also scared of vomiting, so you can imagine my anxiety when we had a gastro outbreak! Honestly for me, being around sick people in a hospital setting has helped me, though exposure is definitely too much for some. What I find helps is washing my hands for 15-20 seconds in warm-hot water *frequently* throughout the day, especially before eating - this may seem like common sense but most people do not wash their hands enough! It really helps me calm down my daily anxiety about contracting a pathogen since I know that my hands are clean. 

Also, the flu shot won't prevent gastroenteritis ("stomach flu"wink; it protects against influenza, which is a respiratory infection (still no fun though). So don't worry too much about not having been immunized against the seasonal flu. I still recommend it, but make sure to discuss your allergies with your GP first smile

Another thing that helps, especially at night, is guided meditation and deep breathing. This really calms me down and pushes out those overbearing thoughts and helps me sleep. 

Finally, try to find something like a safety blanket. Mine is gum or mints and a water bottle. I can very quickly ease nausea caused by anxiety by chewing peppermint flavoured gum and taking sips of water, so try to find something that centres your focus and pushes that dreaded nausea away.

You aren't alone! Even healthcare providers get these awful feelings smile

• Posted

Hi, I am a bit late to this but I have the exact same thing... I've had emetophobia for 12 years and it rules my life. I would love to discuss this with some people if they would like too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.