From 40 mg Citalopram to 37.5 Venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I started citalopram on January 28, 2017 at 10 mg after going to the ER twice for panic attacks and depression. In the end of March 2017, I moved up to 20 mg. In October 2017, I moved up to 40 mg after feeling depressed, suffering panic attacks and feeling dissociated. I felt better until this month. Now I am tired everyday, my head is cloudy, my feelings are nonexistent, my social anxiety is heightened, and I have been depressed for a week straight, enough that I stayed home from work because I couldn't get out of bed.

I requested an appointment with my doctor to discuss my antidepressant. Before we could meet he sent venlafaxine into the pharmacy for me. 

The pharmacist told me that he thinks that my doctor sent it in because I bumped up three times in a year and I'm still feeling depressed.

I am planning on meeting with my GP next week to discuss how to switch because some recommend a sudden switch and some recommend a taper so I guess I am asking more about what to expect with the venlafaxine.

How did it compare to citalopram if you switched or are switching?

How was the switch?

Did venlafaxine help your depression and your anxiety?

Side effects? Sexual side effects?

Would you recommend venlafaxine?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have taken venlafaxine and mirtazapine since July 2015 and I am doing great. I know antidepressants can take a few weeks to reach their optimal effect, and I have never switched from one med to another or tapered off any meds. Good luck.
  • Posted

I've been on 75mg for just over a month. headaches were my main side effect, I also felt hungrier. I don't feel it's made me feel any better so am seeing my guy on Wednesday to discuss increasing. citalopram ruined my sex drive. It hasn't returned. I'm not sure if it ever will.

• Posted

Hi veronica. I took citalopram for 7 years until they stopped working for be. Switched to sertraline and had horrendous side effects. I was on 100mg. Doc changed me to venaflaxine 37.5mg. I had to stop the sertraline and wait 2 days then start the venaflaxine.

So far no horrendous side effects some insomnia. My anxiety isn't great but then I don't expect it to be on 37.5 as not a therapitic dose for anxiety. Increased to 75mg on Thursday so will see how it goes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.