From Birth Control Pill to HRT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies

Has anyone else been put on BC pill for their peri symptoms and then changed over to HRT?

I was prescribed the pill about a year ago for mood stabilization when I went into bad depression.

I'm wanting to transition from the pill to HRT and wanted to hear how other ladies made the switch. Did you stop BC one day and start HRT the next? Or did you give yourself a break from the pill before starting HRT? And if it helped relieve your symptoms?

Truth be told I'm SO scared to do this. I don't know if the pill has helped since I have so many symptoms still. And I don't want to get back into the deep depression I was in. I'm so unfunctional this past year I need to try something else but at the same time so fearful of bad side effects and making things worse.

My symptoms are depression, anxiety, off balance/woozy/dizzy feelings, mood swings, wobbly legs, alway feeling like I'm going to pass out, feeling weepy, neck tilting to side, irritability, overwhelmed easily, fatigue, can't concentrate, severe brain fog, general feeling of malaise, sleep issues, feeling hot while sleeping.

cc

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm suprised to hear of anyone being prescribed the Pill or HRT as a mood stabilizer. They are not primarily for this. I asked my Dr about HRT and was told its for bad hot flushes, fatigue, vaginal atrophy and if they think youre at risk of osteopenia or osteopirosis. 

I was prescribed Fluoxetine, (prozac), about a year ago to help with bad depression and anxiety. My mind was constantly full of morbid thoughts, every morning felt like doomsday.

I feel totally different now, - just calm and level, and not bogged down by bad thoughts at all.  Dont know if its mainly down to hormonal changes or the prozac or both.  

I would have thought anti-depressants would be more appropriate from what you say you are feeling.

• Posted

I did try a handful of ad's too and I couldn't tolerate even small doses. It made me feel worse and had that zombie feeling and like I had a hangover everyday. It felt like I was being poisoned literally. My appetite went away. I lost 25 lbs in 4 months. I just am sensitive to them.

The reasoning behind BC pill was to regulate hormones throughout the month to keep moods stable.

I'm 47 with monthly periods, at least they were naturally before I began the pill 10 months ago. I'm wondering if there could have been changes in the time I've been on BC pill. That's why I'm wondering if I should take break between stopping BC pill and starting HRT to see what my periods are like naturally.

• Posted

If your'e still getting regular periods there is no particular reason to go on HRT.  Its not generally recommended until you are at least a year without periods.

Best to talk to youre doctor because I believe the BC pill can help some womens moods, but has a negative effect on others.

• Posted

My hope is that it will help with all the peri symptoms I'm having.
  • Posted

I have all of those symptoms and more I get the breast bone pain when I have hot flashes then it starts the panic attack these feeling are terrible I was put on a patch but all it did was make things worse
    • Posted

Hi Misty

What patch and dose did you use?

I'm reading up and some say just progesterone is the way to go in peri because our estrogen is erratic and sometimes goes higher. (Estrogen dominance).

• Posted

It was a combo patch she put me on I had terrible pains all over so I called and they took me off now I'm on estroven off the shelf I'm good for several days then bang the chest discomfort ekg upper and lower done waiting for results of the echo doctor said that chances are normal I'm just tired of feeling like crap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.