From Fluoxetine 20mg Venflaxaine 37.5mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,have been on Fluoxetine 20mg for over three weeks with only bad side effects and no changes for better so went to see the gp today who put me on 37.5mg Venflaxaine ,didn't explain anything really just said to come back if it doesn't work. Being in fluoxetine made me put on weight,I was hungry all the time. Now I've been reading about this drug I'm petrified,everyone seems to be gaining weight which I don't think I could manage as it's really putting me down even more.. Can anyone advise me on this please,I have three young children and I'm on my own so can't be moping about on the sofa and have no one to help if this is going to make this stupid depression worse.. Any help is much appreciated..

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear memee,

I'd say you've made the right choice to return to your doctor-  I was fully 6 months before I got over the 'moping' and began to feel an uplift from the Venlafaxine. The benefits were, I thought, really worth it for about 18 months to 2 years, but then began to decline.

• Posted

If you can try and, see you gp as, soon as possible to discuss this with them. It's a weird drug to me! It hasn't made me feel any better with my depression and anxiety that I've had since i was 19 I'm now 40....I've been on many an antidepressant and none have helped, I've been on ssri ones, and the next level up, all that is left is the older medication like amitriptyline to try but until I've seen a phyciatrist she would like me to have a break.

• Posted

Hi there. I've been on venlfaxine for over 12 years. Recently my generic was discontinued and substituted with another that didn't work. So I weaned off and went to Lexapro for 10 weeks. Felt worse. So I'm back on the venlfaxine but this time, name brand Effexor XR 75 mg.

I can honestly tell you that I have felt my best self on it. This medication addresses two areas... Depression and anxiety. It is an SSNI. Lexapro is an SSRI. these classes of drugs work on the brain differently. Typically the venlfaxine with takes up to 4-6 weeks to work. And 37.5 is a low starter dose. I do have extreme anxiety, and 75 mg works fine for me! No anxiety. So I know it does work.

As far as weight gain, I started my anxiety around the time I totally destroyed my knee. After 6 surgeries and a knee replacement last year, the level of inactivity caused my to gain weight. So I can't say that the medicine did that. Either way, I'd rather have weight gain than to live in an anxious state!Good luck to you and let know how you do!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.