From meat to vegan.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, A few of my family members have become Vegan over the last few months and say their health has vastly improved. So, I was wondering if other Vegans on here feel their health has improved by ditching meat, dairy etc?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

What kind of improvements they mentioned?

Did they also compare any blood tests?

Did they have any illnesses?

Best Regards,

Przemek

• Posted

LuckPenny1, I normally eat a restricted diet, gluten free, organic and wild caught fish. From time to time I will go off the diet, when when off for too often I get a flare, working off of one currently. Along with jumping up my Prednisone, I do a 28 Vegan cleanse. My normal diet does include any dairy of chicken and eggs, all of which I enjoy. I think I could happy live on pasta, cheese and eggs. When on the 28 day cleanse, I am never satisfied always want something else. They say us Americans don't eat to live, we live to eat and I guess I qualify. Increased Prednisone from 5 mg to 20, stabilized the inflammation started reducing in four day 5 mg steps, currently on 10 mg and PMR Pain Free. Thinking positive, staying active with a smile! 🙂

• Posted

Hi luckypenny,

I 've been veggie about 35 years and nearly vegan for 20 ish? I never really liked meat.

What health benefits are you meaning? I would say I've had a pretty healthy life up to a car crash in 2012 when I ended up with cfs/me which affects my energy levels.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi LuckyPenny1,

Funnily enough, I just posted a discussion on the IBS group on Patient about recently becoming a vegan. I've been a vegan for about 6 months now and my lifelong IBS (I'm 29 now) has almost completely been cured. I didn't go vegan for this reason, but if someone had told me that going vegan would cure it, I would have tried it just for that.

Although I have CFS and have done for about 11 years, I have seen a small improvement in my mental and physical ability since becoming a vegan. Oddly enough, I also feel like my joints are a bit less stiff, which is nice.

• Posted

I will admit I'm not a vegan but, I respect the vegan lifestyle per people I know that are vegans tend to look more Healthy because of their diet.

• Posted

I had someone who worked for me who was vegan and she was constantly ill. I think it what works for you. I also read that during January, veganuary, the amount of meat purchased did not change from normal, so possibly some people are cheating. There are a lot of greasy spoons who are trying to make Vegan food the same as non Vegan which are probably just as unhealthy as the normal food they offer. I did do a detox once which was vegan and I felt fantastic. I then carried on and started to feel quite ill. I found I needed milk products and eggs too.

• Posted

I'd say you're making two different points here. People can indeed cheat as much as they want with veganuary, but it is still better than not eating meat and dairy. And two, you need to be a vegan for more than one month to see a more permanent difference.

• Posted

That was my problem. It was fine for me for around four weeks and I felt fantastic but when I carried possibly two or three months on that is when I found I really needed milk and eggs.

• Posted

I see. When you say you "needed" milk and eggs, what did you replace them with? Did you have plant milks with with added calcium and eat extra protein to compensate for the eggs?

• Posted

Eggs are a superfood and should be excluded only in certain medical conditions.

• Posted

I can't remember exactly. I remember I had beans and plant based foods. I did not have tea or coffee. I just craved protein. I don't eat red meat but I think I really needed it after that trial at Vegan.

• Posted

How is that a justification for eating eggs?

If eating a human finger once a week was a superfood, would you still eat that every day?

• Posted

I don't like coffee, so there's no issue for me there, but I love tea, so I still drink lots of that with oat milk. Sounds like you just needed more protein to me. Have you tried the new meat replacement products like Naturali and Beyond burgers? My personal favourite meat replacement brand is the one that sells in Iceland: No bull sausages and burgers. The Vivera steaks are also high in protein and taste lush. I still use protein powder after doing weights, just a vegan one with all the amino acids required, and have been building muscle nicely with that.

• Posted

I am afraid I am totally against replacement type foods, I prefer the original or not at all. I hear that Greggs is doing well on its vegan sausage roll though. I never buy low fat, low sugar, lo whatever, as I am always suspicious on what they have had done to it!

As I hated red meat as a child I am not sure I would like replacement burgers, sausages etc. Now I am an adult I am able to not eat red meat and can be fussy.

• Posted

Hi, I became vegan last year and I feel massively healthy. As it's entirely for ethical reasons, I have had a few wobbles where I've ended up buying dairy products, and I've really noticed the difference because of that - in fact, I had started to get arthritis in my hands, it came back when I started eating dairy again, and stopped completely when I became vegan properly!!!! Also, I recommend watching a documentary called What The Health on Netflix, you will see that many illnesses are actually caused by dairy products & meat!!

• Posted

Another hurraoptimistic vegan.

No everyone is the same. Maybe you can't tolerate something in diary.

Please find this :

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Please find ketopaleo diet treatment for Gilbert Syndrome. (as my link was moderated)

• Posted

Hi Przemek,

What is hurraoptimistic vegan? and why does it feel like an insult? Nicola is saying it is helpful to her , your post seems to want to belittle her experience.

Beverley

• Posted

I definitely need meat protein after my disastrous trial of vegan. I had a thought, my blood type is supposed to be for the meat eaters, type O positive, I thought it was a load of rubbish but perhaps it is correct. Perhaps we should eat based on our blood type. I do only eat animals I will kill myself though.

• Posted

Hi Ptolemy,

I'm O positive and never liked meat from a child and haven't eaten it for thirty odd years.

So it def doesn't apply to me.

Beverley

• Posted

oh good I never really believed the idea on blood groups and the food you should eat, but when I found I needed meat having gone vegan I thought the idea may be correct. I must admit I have not eaten red meat for forty years as I hated it as a child then discovered that as an adult I could stop eating things I did not like. I do eat fish and fowl though.

• Posted

Hi,

Nicola says that dairy isn't good for her - maybe just lactose. She shouldn't avoiding good quality meat and eggs.

Yep, new vegan lifestyle is just annoying as it become fashionable.

There is no clear logical reasons to resign from meat (good quality, eco) and eggs for most people.

• Posted

Ah, so you are annoyed that people are making choices in their own lives and it became fashionable and you would prefer the fashion to stay as it were food wise. Get you now.

Beverley

• Posted

Actually, there are tons of reasons to resign from meat + eggs - masses of evidence that meat is one of the main causes for cancer - dairy blocks our arteries + causes heart attacks - not surprising as it is from another species' milk that was never designed for us. Doctors + nutritionists will tell you if you watch the documentary What The Health on Netflix. Not to mention the horrendous cruelty involved in all meat + dairy production, even 'free range' eggs the male chicks are literally ground up alive, it is hard to believe but I've seen it myself. Huge UK company Lush just announced this week that they have removed eggs from their products as the male chicks are killed in 'methods too brutal' to even put on their website, this is what they were referring to. I have also seen a bullock literally pleading for his life as he was going to be shot by a slaughterman, which one would think would be a 'humane'killing. All animals are sentient, intelligent beings, and the truths of their production for food are horrendous. I will sign off from this thread or we could go on forever back + forth but I hope some of you will watch the documentary and think about your health even if not the suffering of the animals.

• Posted

No, they are making choices BECAUSE it become fashionable. Not taking health risk into account.

• Posted

That is quite the claim Przemek to mind read thousands of people and see it as not an individuals choice.

I will agree to differ with you as you seem to be heavily set against non meat eaters for some reason and as one of the many you seem against, no point in discussing it further with you.

• Posted

So what if it is fashionable? Some people might go vegan because it is the single most effective way to reduce your carbon footprint (better for the environment) or they might do it for animal welfare reasons etc.

Sounds to me like you're one of those people who just wants to continue belittling vegans/vegetarians so you can continue to enjoy your meat consumption without having to feel guilty or re-evaluate your life choices.

• Posted

Hi,

"meat is one of the main causes for cancer - dairy blocks our arteries + causes heart attack"

Yep, some researches show link between meat and cancer but it increases risk of caner development by a small factor. Probably benefits from eating good quality, eco meat and eggs a few times per week exceeds a little bit increased cancer risk.

Dairy is more known to cause intolerance effects, adults should consume dairy in restricted portions or even exclude it.

"All animals are sentient, intelligent beings, and the truths of their production for food are horrendous.'"

This is politic, philosophy, religion or fanaticism. Choose whatever you want.

I mean meat, eggs from eco-farms.

What sources of information concerning health-diet are for Netflix movie you advise?

• Posted

Hi,

"Some people might go vegan because it is the single most effective way to reduce your carbon footprint"

This is politic, philosophy, religion or fanaticism. Choose whatever you want.

Reducing CO2 emission by excluding for example eggs from diet which are sometimes called a "superfood" due to nutritions and vitamin they cointain? This is the most dumbest reason for going on restriction diet. Yeah, I will take health risk to reduce CO2 😃

Other ways to reduce emission should be primary.

"you can continue to enjoy your meat consumption without having to feel guilty or re-evaluate your life choices."

I'm sorry I'm alive 😛

I have not designed this world unfortunately.

I will dead some day and you'll be happy if you value animal health more than mine 😉

• Posted

There you go again... getting all defensive trying to come up with counter arguments... The discussion question says 'So, I was wondering if other Vegans on here feel their health has improved by ditching meat, dairy etc?' We're simply answering the asker's question. Clearly you can't as you haven't removed meat and dairy from your diet, so I don't even know why you're here.

By the way, it isn't politics, philosophy, religion or fanaticism. It's factual. Over 50% of the world's deforestation is caused by the meat industry. I think you just need to do some research before blaming everything on that, like you did to my post on here and also nicola's before.

• Posted

So what we should do to deal with deforestation? Stop eating meat and eggs, everyone?

That's the solution for the problem?

Yeah, the discussion question with Netflix movie advertisement.

health diverse diet can be very helpful but it musn't be vegan. Diet should be individual. Vegan for some, carni for others, mixed for most probably.

• Posted

Correct, becoming a vegan is the best way to stop deforestation.

As I said before, this discussion is about the health benefits of becoming a vegan. I have had health benefits from becoming a vegan as have others that have posted on this discussion. If a vegan diet proves to be the healthiest diet choice, then people should become vegan regardless of the ethical or environmental impacts.

• Posted

Please note for some people vegan diet is a health risk.

Before they start it they should do a research, and take it carefully.

In my opinion only when strong medical reason is present, for example kidney issue.

There is no any ethical impact. The world is as it is.

Did you heard of evolution?

Thank god our ancestors hadn't been hesitating to kill animals for dinner.

But now we have these mass production farm. They aren't good.

As I said, fighting with CO2 emission and deforestation by going on restriction diet is the most stupid I have ever heard. We should seek other ways.

• Posted

I loved eggs, cheese, pepperoni, etc, went on a diet cut them out felt good, backsliding with a few beers, cheese, eggs, pizza; guess what a flare. Back on the diet, back on the skis feeling great. I do eat a piece of grass fed organic steak once and while and wild caught fish. But gluten free, no grains all organic, cannot knock it. And my wife is migraine free after 11 years. 🙂

• Posted

Did you cut them out all at once?

Or maybe first eggs, then meat, then pizza?

• Posted

My wife and I changed diets about 2 years ago, first 28 day cleanse, then the diet. I cheated and then a bad flare. I do not think it was just one thing that caused the flare, but a series.

• Posted

How is a vegan diet a risk to health for any meat eater? The only research required is to make sure you're still getting all the nutrients and vitamins you need. As a vegan you take supplements in pill/tablet form. As a meat eater, you get the supplements from the animals you eat because they are artificially injected with the supplements. There has been research now that proves that going vegan can not only improve kidney issues and diabetes etc., but actually reverse them. No meat diet has ever done this.

'Ethical: relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.'

The ethical impact for animals is that a lot of people (clearly not you) are aware of all the animals that suffer and feel pain. The environment ethics is the fact that meat farming is the single largest contributer to the world's deforestation. You can't of heard a lot then if a change of diet is the stupidest thing you've ever heard. If all people switched to being vegan, then deforestation would drop by 50%. (How is that a bad thing?)

I have heard of evolution yes; it includes the discovery that humans don't need animal meat to survive, they only need protein, which can be produced without animals, at a cheaper rate and have less of an environmental impact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.