From no DLA to PIP

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was wondering if the outcome  makes any difference to the fact one is applying for PIP  from DLA  that has been invited to by the DWP   to one that is just applying for PIP with never having the DLA in the first place.  Or does it make no difference at all. I ask because both my son and my grand daughter failed to get the PIP and both had no previous DLA to start with. Son had lots of medical backup and grand daughter suffering badly from MS  who had lots of backup got 1 point! Its been said by members of my family she never got it because she has been struggling to go to work and this  would have contradicted a  lot she put on her PIP form.  My son lost out though again to the assessor stating he drove himself there and he never and that he could walk upright with no difficulty, he walked in bent over to one side, when he rang to say about the lies he was just told we arnt changing anything, go to court!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan.

My son was in receipt if DLA and changed to PIP with no problems. Until he was diagnosed with MS last November. They cut his benefit to basic rate after his assessor lied . We out in an MR and it has been said yesterday when I rang for an update. The decision maker now has all medical evidence and he'll receive his new decision within 2 weeks. So really makes no difference whether you were on DLA before it depends on what the assessor put in their report. Which 9 out of 10 times goes again people. You have to fight for what you are entitled to. Hope it goes will for both your son + granddaughter.

• Posted

Thanks, its to late now, he sent off for his new cars tax yesterday as it was due to expire and he had to inform them he now no longer qualified for free road tax. So had to send in a cheque for half the amount as getting the standard rate qualified him half road tax to be paid.
  • Posted

It makes no difference at all. PIP is about how your conditions affect you daily not about a diagnosis. DLA mobility was 50 metres, PIP is 20 metres. This has hit a lot of DLA claimants hard because they qualified for DLA but no longer for the PIP descriptors for Enhanced Mobility. I can't see how your son driving himself to the assessment went against him i've heard of many people driving theirself. I was asked if i drive during my assessment twice. My answer was yes, i drive an automatic but i mostly just take my daughter too and from school which was true. It never went against me. When asking for MR you need to point out the descriptors that apply to you and NOT argue or point out the lies that were told (yes i know lies are often told) This isn't really what the DM is interested in. People should keep it straight to the point and prove those descriptors apply to them.

• Posted

Denise i see your point and no it doesn't sound good to ring them and say they lied does it, Yes best to argue against the descriptors and only that!  

• Posted

I think it's likely that working would be held against your grand daughter.  Has she received the assessor's report?  My report said "She works" as part of the justification for giving me zero points for several activities.  I don't believe that working contradicted what I had claimed but the assessor did.

• Posted

Oh Scally not good, you get nothing for trying to earn a living do you and helping yourself.  What folk supposed to do then, quit their job and hope they get the PIP !
    • Posted

I don't think they should be allowed to use work against someone without asking for more detail.  Fine if you say you can't walk and then it turns out you're a traffic warden walking round town for miles each day - that would be a contradiction.  Stating "She works" without elaborating as to why she thinks it means I don't have problems doesn't seem right.

I'm lucky that I got points on other activities where work wasn't relevant so I did get an award but I was disgusted at some of the comments, particularly  "She works", as it's supposed to be an in work benefit so working shouldn't be relevant unless it is a clear contradiction. 

• Posted

Scally i do agree, problem is my grand daughter had MS and beleive me she really struggles,  but....her job is ,was a hair dresser so all looked contadictory i guess.   She has now had to give up her job as she simply couldnt do it anymore due to coordination, vision and weakness problems, Now problem swallowing poor girl, she is applying again for PIP  but im concerned that who helped her fill in her form did it in a very quick space of time. Its true to say 'she works' in itself shouldnt be assumed all is well then, she should have  said why she felt this went against your descriptors. Any way whats work got to do with how your illness afects you,weather its at home or at work they are supposed to be going about how your ilness or disabiltie affects you.   

• Posted

I think that its not so much that you work, its all to do with what work you do, if you sit at a desk all day then obviously you want be standing all day and your walking could be restricted, being able to stand while you do someone's hair and potter about the salon means your mobility is fairly good (i was a hairdresser so i know its a hard slog on legs and feet) that would definitely screw you for the mobility part, then if you can manage toiletries etc and your hands are fairly dexterous to be able to do cutting perming etc then its not going to help your care needs.

Sorry being blunt but that's how PIP effects your claim.

Also the fact that you put in a claim and when its rejected you give up work is not going to help your MR or future claim.

Please get some good help filling out the forms and make sure you send in plenty of medical reports to help your claim, as everyone will tell you PIP is not about specific disease's its how hard it makes your daily life.

You could have say Muscular Dystrophy but not be entitled because your still able to walk and care for yourself.

• Posted

I get what your saying hear, so maybe she should have said how hard it was for her to try and function in the saloon,Im sure she would have Done. Yes she managed but with great difficulty, yet i read it shouldnt make any different whether your working or not, so confusing, hears what i read

PIP helps towards some of the extra costs arising from a long term ill-health condition or disability and is based on how a person's condition affects them, not the condition they have. It is not means-tested or subject to tax and it is payable to people who are both in and out of work.

• Posted

Oh that's an absolutely horrendous situation to be in make sure he does appeal their decision and that they have cameras situated around waiting areas and after you've been to your assessment they watch you leaving i feel so sorry for you and your family and it rubbish that they won't entertain they're claim properly because they didn't claim DLA i would definitely appeal the very best of luck.

• Posted

Oh that's an absolutely horrendous situation to be in make sure he does appeal their decision and that they have cameras situated around waiting areas and after you've been to your assessment they watch you leaving i feel so sorry for you and your family and it rubbish that they won't entertain they're claim properly because they didn't claim DLA i would definitely appeal the very best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.