From Seroxat to Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

:? Just got back from doctors after finally coming to terms that Seroxat just doesn't seem to be working for me anymore..... Have been on for about 2 years and over Christmas noticed that all my old symptoms were back... Exhaustion, Apathy, Sadness, Anger, Confusion, Headaches and just generally feeling seriously crappy... I put on 56Ibs on Seroxat and now cannot bear to look at myself in the mirror. Am 39 and do not want to be fat and forty!! Doctor perscribed Mirtazapine but have now found out that Mirtazapine can cause weight gain...need this like a hole in the head as can't afford to put anymore weight on!!! Any comments or help would be gratefully received, am desperate here, couldn't face work this morning as have just no energy.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

In response to the last posting, i myself am on Mitrazapine, have been now for about a year, I have noticed a slight wait gain, but nothing to much, the hunger that i feel, i generally stave off with fresh fruit or raw veg as oppose to chocolate and crisps.

You will feel genarally lethargic with Mitrazapine, in fact you will prob sleep most of the first week, but you will get there. Just remeber it dosent matter what size you are, its who you are, and take that from a guy in his early 30's.. So keep your chin up and smile, it will get better again

• Posted

Birdy,

Try not to think about it to much

I was on Seroxat and I switched to Mirtazapine and It worked really well for me.

The first week I was like a zombie but after a while it got into my system and I felt so much better.

I've been on Mirtazapine for about a 1 year and i was really paranoid as I was 32 and putting on weight as a side effect. I was constantly hungry and was craving sweet things.

With will power I cut out all the bad thig and replaced them with Fruit, Nuts & Raw Veg.

I started to jog & swim and with will power got myself to a better weight than I was before.

I'm heavier than I want to be but I'm happy which is the most important thing !

One thing you must remember is that it is usually pier pressure for us to look good. What is good for you might not be good for somebody else.

Take the positives from every situation and try to live each day.

Who cares about age !

[i:ddab07d28c][b:ddab07d28c]The Only Thing In Life Is Living [/b:ddab07d28c][/i:ddab07d28c]

Take Care & Good Luck

Craigyb

• Posted

please do not be fooled mirtazpine can cause weight gain because you might have cravings to eat sugary foods. I have put on a stone during the past year about ten pounds due to the mirtazapine. I have also had a hysterectomy. If you eat too much you will put on weight at least in the first few months.
  • Posted

:shock: Thanks so much for all the help guys.....day 3 and yep your sooooo right am sleeping like a log....continually! The veritgo feeling is a bit of a nightmare though, cant focus, drive, concentrate, its a real pain but hopefully, as you said, this should get better. No anxiety though so thats great. This is such a good place to talk about depression 'cos nobody really understands how it feels and I feel so guilty at constantly bending my hubbies ear about this, I feel like its always ME ME ME! He's great though, never complains. Have been reading about some peoples dreams....wow mine are amazing...dreampt I was Harry Potter last night... nuts! I will take on board your tips on loads of fresh fruit and veg, am trying to eat healthly and NO BOOZE!! Oh the strain, but I no I will have to do it to get better!!!

Thankyou again

Birdy xxxx

• Posted

Hi Birdy,

Glad to see you read our views and it makes u feel better, im glad u feeling a bit better, and there is no anxiety..

I know what u mean, i feel like i am constantly moaning to my other half as well, and its great to come on here and talk about Mitrazapine.

The dozy days soon pass and go into a haze, and ure memory lapses and forgets them ha ha, I was telling a friend about the effects of the tabs, and he told me i could sell them for £2 each and make a fortune lol..

Think the dreams are amazing, I was flying thru the air the other night with Rita from Corrie as we were going to open a new sunbed shop in Spain ????? confused lol lol

Hope to hear back from other peeps soon xx

Robert

• Posted

Hi

I'm fairly new on this site and have just started on the med, I feel absolutely knocked out. All I do is sleep, sleep, sleep. Oh and eat lots! My dreams have been really vivid and random. When I was awake the other night I was laying in bed feeling really tired and saw a butterfly flying around the room, I blinked a couple of times and it disappeared! Obviously a figure of my imagination. Is good to here I'm not alone in my feelings x

• Posted

I know this might sound flippant, but I am on meds and I decided last week to diet and really do some exercise. My pot has gone and I felt great! Swimming is a fantastic exercise. Do you think you'd be able to cut down on sugary foods and substitute what you'd consider a normal meal for a salad? It only takes a few less calories a day (with some exercise) to start losing weight. I know, cos I did it with a little willpower.

Best wishes,

Chris

• Posted

Hi, have been reading all your experiences of taking mirtazapine and i have trouble with the cravings for sweet things too ,chocolate,chocolate and more chocolate lol which is something i rarely ate ! It's kind of like a pregnancy craving not like i would like some chocolate but i HAVE to have it .I am doing some exercise so that i don't gain too much weight , i have gained 4lb in 4 weeks which isn't too bad .

I started this medication 4 weeks ago and the first week i had great sleep which i still have and real weird dreams , i found i couldn't sit down for about 5 days and my house was spotless , but this week i feel i have to push myself to do anything and feel really low ! I'm hoping this will pass. Has anyone else felt like they were going back the way ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.