From setraline to Citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, Iv just come of setraline to start Citalopram, just wondered it anyone else has done this ? I’m so nervous about side effects e.c.t

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shelby.   I was on sertraline for 4 years.  Came off 9 months ago, thought I could manage without meds, crashed back down and I took my first citalopram yesterday.  you and I are in the same boat luv. I am getting ready for day 2, trying not to focus and just keep swimming lol.   Don’t be scared just take the plunge, the way I see it, I already felt sick and dizzy and anxious and crap anyway, good luck, we can do this together smile xx 
  • Posted

Hi. Firstly I think you need to accept there will be side effects but acknowledge that it's the meds not you. Have support around you someone to talk to or message on here. I found this place was great for advice and letting me know that everything I felt was normal and it would get better. I thi k the more you know what to expect the less worrying it is. If I told you to expect to feel sick you could rationalise that the meds are making you feel that way and not anything else. Secondly not everyone feels the side effects. You may get them mild. The common ones are fatigue headache nausea and insomnia. I also would yawn a lot and my jaw would jitter. I did find my anxiety got worse after about 2 weeks but again that is very normal. It shows the drugs are getting into your system and doing what they need to do. I would definitely recommend staying in touch with your Drs. My gp was brilliant. He gave me a low short course of diazepam when I was really bad and it helped no end. He weaned me off of them very quickly and safley too. Also allow yourself timeyo feel better. Don't expect too much. If you need to lay on the sofa for the day just do it. It takes time for these pills to really work but they do. Good luck

• Posted

How long did you take the diazepam? I increased my dose 3 weeks ago and had a increase in anxiety this week. My dr has told me to take ativan and I have a day, but I don't want to become dependant.

• Posted

Take your Ativan when ever necessary...you won't become addicted..if it ain't that bad don't take it...if you have and addictive personality I wouldn't take it..

• Posted

I've never had an addiction before so I guess I would't become addicted lol

• Posted

I was on sertraline 40mg for about 5 weeks but switched to Cit 20mg after that. I was having terrible dry mouth and insomnia. I had a lot of side effects on Sertraline the 1st 2-3 weeks (anxiety, headaches, lots of yawning, muscle tightening, insomnia, tiredness, dry mouth) and was nervous I'd have to deal with that all over again when I switched but did not. Still have dry mouth and tired but that's getting a little better. My anxiety and overall mood is much better. Good luck!

• Posted

citrolopram has less side effects than the other medication you were on.
    • Posted

I think it's more stimulating than citalopram which would make it quite difficult for an anxiety sufferer at first. Citalopram is hard enough at first!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.