From sitting to standing...

Posted , 20 users are following.

Do you find it difficult? Every time I have to stand up from sitting on a sofa, chair, car I have to sum up all my energy and I must hold on to something...It's not particularly painful, it' s just hard, difficult to achieve...I need to concentrate and I have to take my time. I also need more space than usual. Once I am up, I can make a couple of steps, still quite unsure, like a 13 months old baby...but after this I can walk fast and for quite  along time, with no problem.I would be interested to know if it's the same for you...I am on week 10 from my hip replacement.

7 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have started stretching when I get out of car to give myself a few moments to get my act together.
    • Posted

Dear Maggie,

I am stretching as well before attempting to come up...It' s also a mental exercise, you have to collect your inner strengh in order to expand the strengh into your muscles...If you know what I mean!

• Posted

Yes, yes, yes!  What is the deal? At 11 weeks post,  I would say those first few steps after sitting are my biggest issue now.  It is not so much stiffness as it is pain. I just don't understand how once I get going I am fine and can walk a great distance without pain, but have a lot of pain those first few steps.  What gives?  You would think it would be the other way around.  I am sorry others are having the same issue but am relieved it is not just me.
    • Posted

Dear Jujube,

I cannot say it's pain in the hip, or leg or thigh...it's the whole body being stiff and extremely heavy...like moving a sleeping elefant (I am not obese...) Yes, I am amazed that after a couple of steps I can walk for miles.

• Posted

Hi

im 8 weeks and walk without a stick unless I am out for a long time and then I take a stick 

like you if I have been sitting I can get up but have to collect myself for a few second, walk badly for about 3 strides then I'm ok. 

I know what you mean about predictive text on here I have said some strange things!! 

Carol xx😄

• Posted

Hi Carol, 

we are experienceing the same thing on walking the first few steps...I hope in time we are going to improve.

***I hate predictive text :-((

• Posted

Yep that was exactly like me early on. Especially of my bum was lower than my knees.It will get better with more time.smile
    • Posted

Hi Ginger,

Yes, the lower the seat the worse it is...Thank you for suggesting that it will get better.

• Posted

Today was my first day on a low soft seat and found I had to pub a cushion on to rise it up. I too have difficulty getting up but I was like this before op. I had to stand before moving to let the pain shoot through me and then subside a little.

I have only started walking without crutch so do wobble but no pain. I feel I have forgotten how to walk. I asked my 11 year old granddaughter for her opinion of my walk and she said just a bit like a penguin now.

• Posted

Hi Attractac,

before the operation I had problems in getting up but it was different...I used to feel an excruciating, unbearable pain on the hip, now I don't feel any pain, it's more a muscle stiffness, an overall tiredness in my body.

I have to concentrate in order to walk straight and not to wobble, I think my brain still think that it would be painful to walk straight...

I think that in time we will progress from penguin to panther walk :-)

• Posted

I found a little trick in the early days when getting up. I tap my un-operated foot on the floor a couple of times. For some weird reason it seems to direct all the energy into that leg and I can stand up in one movement. Like you, once I am up I am off like a rocket unless I am tired and then I can hardly put one foot in front of the other.

I would be interested to see if the foot tap works for anyone else or if it is something I just made up for myself!

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I'll experiment with foot tapping immediately and I'll let you know...

This forum is truly amazing!

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I have experimented foot tapping all day and it does help!!!! I now tap both feet just before getting up and I feel a rush of blood/energy coming up both legs, enough to make standing easier...The first few steps ares till wobbling, but your suggestion is great, many thanks!

• Posted

Thank you Kate, what a great tip, foot tapping all the way now, it really gets rid of the stiffness, I am doing it with both feet, esecipally when getting out of the car xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.