From the age of 8 i suffered with leg and back pain got ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

From the age of 8 i suffered with leg and back pain got very tired this resulted in a lot of time off of school. The doctors and hospital did not know what was wrong with me then one day the pain stopped and i felt fine. I used to get odd aches and pains in my joints and sometimes i found every day things a bit more demanding but i carried on, even when i had vertigo which i have now had for ten years and it is now at its worse. Then christmas 2004 i wasn't very well just didnt feel myself glands were up i was being sick and very tired, every day was an effort. Then May 6th 2005, 5 days before my 32nd birthday i was working at iceland store stacking shelves. As my shift went on i was feeling worse the pain was getting unbarable and i was very stiff. I got home and stayed in bed for 4 days with the pain. My doctors were telling me arthritis every week and giving me pain killers which were too strong for me they made me feel like a zombie but the pain was still there and i was still as stiff i couldn't even turn my head. I asked to be referred which they sent me to a rheumatoligist where i was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I am now waiting for a pain management therapy i have been told that is all they can do. I have changed my own doctor as when i went back to him he refussed me a sick certificate for work and told me you are alright you only have muscle pain go to work. I have seen a councilor who seemed to know how i was feeling but was more interested in me going back to work. I loved my job and i loved the people i work with but i can not even imagine going back to work yet as some days i can just about lift a cup where my wrists give way and are very painful and weak as well as the rest of my body. I have not had a good nights sleep since january 2004. My vertigo gets so bad i have days in bed. If i stand too long my legs feel like they are not my own and they want to give way. i get very confussed,forgetful, i have migrains. numbness, tingling all over, pins and needles, cant be touched sometimes, ibs, bladder pain, irratable and depressed, i gat panic attacks chest pain, muscle spasms, i get shakey. I also get boils and rashes on my body, my lips and tongue tingle if i eat certain foods and my pain is constant somedays i can not even wake up and i get a feeling of sheer exhaustion. Some days i get worn out just having a visitor at my home so how can i go back to work. Not just that i am scared to go back to work and i get bad panic attacks just thinking about it even when i have a good day i feel i wont be doing my job to the standards they want i don't want to let people down. I do feel quite alone and the doctors don't really understand what this illness is like they know its real but they are not listening.

[i:9ebb5617eb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9ebb5617eb]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i understand exactly how this person feels because is if i would have wrote it myself i must say that i do get the odd good day but the disturbed sleep and waking up in the mornings feeling drained happens every day. I have three children and sometimes i feel i cannot cope with simply being a mum, let alone working full time like i've always worked, my level of concentration has also declined which means that the jobs i've done upto a few years back "i've always worked in banking" would be impossible for me to keep up. I also feel brain fogginess at some point during the day and have become very sensitive to medicines i get violently sick if i take prescibed medications. And like shes said the most sad thing of all is that nobody seems to understand you as like with fibromyalgia sufferers no medical tests shows anything. Doctors think you are a hypocondriac and your family (husband) in my case just thinks you complain for any silly thing and gets tired of having to listen to you, so at the end of the day in my case i feel like i'm leading a double life one in which i try not to show how unwell i feel in order not to hear any comments and the other is when i'm on my own and can cry if i feel without having to listen to anyones comments. It is very sad unfortunately and i understand this person entirely. I sincerely hope that one day someone out there will find a cure for this and not treat people like us like if we are hypocondriacts or come from another planet!

[i:dd230f2d20]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:dd230f2d20]

• Posted

i have had fibro for six months now i would not wish this on my worst enemy. i have not worked since i started with fibro i have trouble getting out of bed in the morning due to stiffness and complete exhaustion i have pain all through my body, brain fog, anxiety and panic attacks iam on 50mg of amitriptylene ant night it does help me to sleep better most of the time not sure if it helps with the pain i also have chest pains that are there most of the time which is quite worrying went to see a rheumatologist who told me i would have to think postive and and basically learn to live with it.

[i:420d2a9e3d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:420d2a9e3d]

• Posted

I understand, you need to the pain control - i mean you need to take the strongest painkillers go stronger and stronger till you have adequate pain control, allthough this isnt a cancer it can still disable you in the most sever case.

[i:edbacc11da]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:edbacc11da]

• Posted

:shock:

[i:67ad74f796]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:67ad74f796]

• Posted

Your symptoms sound alot like mine - I have been diagnosed with CFS.

Goodluck

[i:e1b8997205]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e1b8997205]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.