Frozen Knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

My TKR was 3 months ago and 4 weeks ago I have a manipulation under anesthesia as my knee was frozen around 85 degrees. I am now aat 110 degrees after agressive PT, but I cannot get that on my own. It is a struggle at each appointment. I still have swelling and feel so stiff, the progress the PT makes does not in there for very long. I have started therapy in a pool, hoping that will help. This is very depressing. I was not prepared for such a huge/long recovery. and the psychological part really took me by suprise. Tears all over the place! I feel very out of control.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear! It is very hard, I am not a fan of aggressive PT, but in UK does not seem so popular. What I would say, is forcing knee will aggravate it and can contribute to feelings of being out of control if you are not firmly in control of the process yourself, with your listening to your own body and what it is telling you.
  • Posted

I thought it was just me 😬

I had tkr in March and manipulation 2.5wks ago and initially afterwards it felt fantastic but like you I have had increased swelling stiffness etc and getting very depressing. My physio is aggressive and at present time I feel bruised at back of knee and lower back from my last physio session. I have had 7 ops on my knee so been realistic it's never going to be great. But reading your post makes me feel a little better. Good luck to you and hopefully we will all get there in the end 👍

• Posted

I had a TKR in July 2017. My knee froze. I had a secondary surgery with anesthesia to manipulate the knee in August of 2017. Again, my knee froze. Then my insurance ran out.

It is now March of 2018. I am not doing physical therapy, but trying to manipulate my knee on my own through my day-to-day activities. However when I try to get up and do anything I have massive pain and it feels like my knee is swelling. I did go get one of those knee wraps with copper in it and that seems to have helped reduce my pay level a lot. I also have to wear one of the copper back braces because my knee problem aggravates my herniated disc in my back.

My orthopedic surgeon does not anticipate my knee will bend at this point. Another doctor says if I keep persisting I will get more movement out of it. Everyday I seem to get a little more progress but it is very slow and very painful. All we could do is pray and keep on trying. If you're like me, you're also on permanent disability because of this issue. If so we have the time. Never give up. Don't let the depression control you. It is the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm not ready to give up.

• Posted

Hi, 

I just had TKR on June 4th and my knee is only at a 73 bend.  My dr is not happy he said I was way behind and that if it didn’t start to bend and go totally straight I’m screwed and that there was nothing else He could do for me and that Is what I would have to live with.  WTH?  I am so depressed how are you doing?

• Posted

It has been almost a year since my TKR on July 19, 2017. My doctor also threw in the towel. My knee has been frozen this entire time. Not sure about you but it really messes up your back and hurts your body, and little by little the remainder of your life will fall apart. Because I could return to work my insurance ran out. I was able to get the covered California insurance at the beginning of the year I started to see an acupuncture doctor. She seem to think that she could get my knee bending without an issue. Turns out I still had a lot of inflammation in the knee.

I have seen her approximately 6 times, and my pay level reduced a lot. She is getting some Bend out of my knee for the first time since last July. She is encouraged that I will continue to make progress. As a worst-case scenario, I do have a new orthopedic surgeon that also believes he could go back in and do what's called and MUA, this is manipulation under anesthesia. That will get the need to bend but to stop it from freezing up again he wants to inject stem cells. Those could be controversial over whether or not the insurance covers them. So I'm working on that issue right now. In the meantime I am feeling the movement of my knee and slight bending, a little bit less pain, and a little bit of progress. My initial surgeon acted like I just wasn't putting the work in to get my knee to bend. He was wrong. I busted my butt and the pain was so overwhelming that I just had to stop at times. This direction I'm taking is definitely a good direction, and if you have not gone to see it acupuncture doctor or worked on getting the inflammation down, I would start that now. Also do water therapy known as Aqua therapy. That should help as well. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.