Frozen shoulder

Posted , 14 users are following.

Frozen shoulder can occur randomly or from trauma. I'm wondering how many of the above cases started with trauma.   It seems random frozen shoulder has three stages and will often go away by itself with physical therapy.  In my case I broke my shoulder 4 months ago at my sons trampoline park birthday party. I was in a sling for 2 weeks and went to physical therapy a few times to increase strength and mobility. I decided to do the exercises on my own  because my PT is not covered by my insurance. Six weeks later  i'm wondering why my shoulder is getting worse instead of better. Diagnosed with frozen shoulder. Now PT twice a week shows very small improvements. I'm wondering since mine was caused by an injury if I should jump to MUA then continue with physical therapy for possibly faster results. Most of my pain is caused by sudden movements, painful night sleeps,and stiffness/pain in the morning. I'm waiting until January  to start a new deductible for either MUA or more PT.  From everything I've read frozen shoulder can take years to heal with no guarantee of being 100% back to normal.  So far my doctor still recommends PT as it's the least intrusive method and because even tiny improvements are improvements. I just don't want to waste money on PT for months only to end up in surgery and then have more PT. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Frozen shoulders are not  caused by trauma as I  have said more than once. FS is a disease which is passed down from family memebers. Serveral other complaints afflict those with FS at times, Dupuytrens, tennis elbow, fibromatosis of the foot and one more which men only get. These conditions don't appear in those with a traumatised shoulder. If trauma caused  Fs then we would have frozen knees ankles hips and so on. If a pathologist examined the capsules cells in a FS shoulder they would be distinctly different from the cells in a traumatised shoulder but the same or very similar to the other afforementioned conditions.

Why doctors and therapists cant tell them apart Idon't know. The treatments for these two entities has to be different. I wish a patient on this forum would enroll their therapist and we could hear from a qualified person.

• Posted

I think you a very wrongly informed. Talk to professionals who fix FS - you will be enlightened. I am suffering through my 2nd FS and yes they were both caused from trauma.

If you are giving a medical opinion then back this up with your medical qualifications and research.

• Posted

No all frozen shoulders are from trama. I believe mine was my body telling me it's had enough. At that point I had 2 surgeries on that shoulder and almost a yrs worth of p.t. Part of my frozen shoulder was from adhesive capsulitis but after the release the Dr still couldn't get it to move. And you can get other frozen body parts.

• Posted

I have read your post but I think you are wrong MRI can read adhesive capsulitis which is exactly what mine read 4 months after my surgery! I had an MRI before my tear surgery and it did not say adhesive capsulitis!
    • Posted

Here are the criteria for frozen shoulder as originally described by Codman, the discoverer.

The pain comes on slowly.

Begins a few inches below tip of shoulder.

There is an inability to sleep well,firstly from sleeping on the affected shoulder.

There is loss of abduction,less loss of medial rotation and most loss of lateral rotation.

Radiographs are normal.

Pain becomes severe but usually not enough to stop all duties. Frozen shoulder all resolve in time except for a few degrees of movement and do so without treatment.

Traumatic and post operative shoulder do not always return to normai

• Posted

I promise I wll search out some research papers in the next few days. No medical qualifications I'm afraid I would appreciate if some sufferers of FS would enroll there PTs into the forum.

Do you or anyone else have any scientific revues on trauma causing FS. I could't find any except on this and other forums.

• Posted

Hi Alison, MRIs and xrays do not diagnose FS. What they do is to rule out other diseases and or conditions. The history and examination will tell you whether you have FS or not. If I remember you were held up in a physio epartment as a classical case of FS which of course is impossible. Remember Codmans Rules, the first being the slow onset of pain, The cells taken from a frozen shoulder and the histology examined is quite different from an injury or operation. These cases show most likely blood and healing scarring which causes loss of range. This loss of range is not usually in the ratio mentioned by Codman but shows the restriction caused by the healing scar.I believe that yours was lateral rotation  most likely from scar tissue at the front of the joint rather than the capsule its self. We know that a true frozen shoulder will settle in a time of 18 months to 4 years. No guarantee that an injured shoulder will get better at all although most will. So if you really believe you have a FS then it should be left alone as a couple of orthopaedic surgeons  have suggested. But as you dont have FS then you should be quite aggressive and aim at stretching the frontal scarring. I see know reason why you should not see rapid improvement. If truly FS it would flair up again . 

Now lesser tuberosity has a somewhat different problem, if his fracture impacted and is out by a small amount at the site that may mean a bigger loss of active range but with a fracture you will have had lots of bleeding in and around the joint.

So google: Genetic association between frozen shoulder and tennis elbow.

Genetics frozen shoulder and Dupuytrens contracture

Chromosomal abnormalities of the frozen shoulder, Adan feldman tim bunker. There are many more.

The very good new is that all here with trauma or  with injuries are having the correct treatment for trauma.

I have just finished another MOOC course on  genetics with Coursera and did the anatomy and kinesiology of the shoulder earlier this year.

These courses are free and super good.

• Posted

Hi I'll I know is that my MRI before surgery read torn labrum, bicep, etc. I had surgery in June and my shoulder froze then 4 months later I had another MRI and it now said adhesive capsulitis which if you google means frozen shoulder!

• Posted

Hi Alison, just watched a few videos of labral repairs. With the insertion of canulas and lights and and cutting instruments and drills and sewing impliments often through numerous holes in the capsule it is hardly surprising that some temporary inflammatory changes take place. The good news is that with therapy I would suppose this will resolve soonest unlike a frozen shoulder which has to complete the freezing cycle. With having a large lose of lateral rotation this shows it is not the capsule but scarring from the operation which  I have said will resolve quickly. As for the MRI I don't know how you would differentiate a capsule shrinkng from FS to one from the operation, ask your PT and let us know what she thinks.

• Posted

James, please stop giving your diagnosis, is not helpful for frozen shoulder sufferers.
    • Posted

Please, please, I asked you to stop misleading people with your assumptions. You confuse sufferers even more. Is just not right.
  • Posted

Hi Lori,

I have some disc damage in my neck, I believe this caused my frozen shoulder. However I had one session of PT after an MRI confirmed the FS and the guy freed it up and i had a lot more movement within hours, sounds good doesnt it? However I also have an impingement where the acronium rubs off a tendon, I had surgery for this on Thursday and am currently trying to type this with my left arm in a sling. I would ask for surgery then have PT, its all keyhole stuff now, i have three small puncture wounds in my shoulder. thats what your insurance is for, dont suffer FS when you can have it corrected, unless people have had it that dont know how bad it actually is.

Thanks Sean

• Posted

Definitely started with trauma.
    • Posted

well i used to be a fence erector and lift heavy concrete posts, in fact they were heavier than i am, i believe this has now caused the problem with my neck which has led to the frozen shoulder and impingement, still hopefully my surgery has sorted my shoulder out, dont really want to have sugery on my neck, but now I'm office based this seems to aggrovate my neck, luckily its the same company i used to do the fencing for, so I'm hoping we can come to an arrangement regarding ill health retirement, without it getting to nasty.

• Posted

Hi Lori

I'm 8 weeks on from a MUA. No more chronic pain. Quite strong physio afterwards. My second FS. My consultant would prefer more movement. I've rejoined my gym. I couldn't cope with the pain anymore. ..good luck

• Posted

I'm one week on from shoulder impingement surgery, its worse than ever, but i expected that for a while, i get a little bit nore movement everyday and can just about drive for a short period, I alos had forzen shoulder but that seemed to be soritng itself out before the surgery. I have foraminal stenosis in my cervical spine, I believe all the problems with my shoulder stem from this condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.