Frozen Shoulder 6 months later

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder/impingement in November last year and the Doctor pushed me forwards for a hydrodilatation. The pain has returned and I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure repeated? 

I’m a little unsure about surgery due to many complications. The pain is unbearable and like everyone else I have tried painkillers and they never work, ice packs and endless sleepless nights. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

There r a few hydrodilitation experiences on this forum. They r all positive. I had a MUA in October. It took about 6 weeks after the procedure to sleep through the night. I know what u mean about trying everything....tens machines sort of worked better than the rest...good luck u will get to a pain free zone after yr procedure. ..
    • Posted

The Doctor did mention an MUA but was unsure but I think he might proceed with this and put me on the waiting list  Physio did mention a ten machine just last week so I guess I need to give that a try. Thank you 
    • Posted

Hi Ruby

Try and get a wireless tens machines. ..I put mine on everywhere I went...Internet is great for them...

• Posted

Hi, I've had mine since August last year, tried everything & was finally given a date for MUA / Hydrodilution for a couple of weeks from now. 

I'm in half mind about it now as it seems to be slowly getting better itself & I'm scared to death of aggravating it & setting recovery time back.

the consultant has assured me that most patients feel instant relief, some a few weeks so I'll just have to go with it & see what happens.

I'd just began to sleep at night for the first time since August too!! 

• Posted

Tens machines are amazing and was a godsend for me ... really reasonable and definitely 100% recommend. Good luck x
  • Posted

My experience of hydrodilatation is documented on here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hydrodilatation-my-experience-489438?page=0#2548551

For me, it was very positive - pain free within 2 days and a steady return of movement.  

I'm currently experiencing twinges in my other shoulder and trying to work out if it is something that will go away on it's own (which has happened before) or the start of another frozen shoulder.  If the latter, I'll have no hesitation of going for hydrodilatation again.

• Posted

Just re-read this after firstly assuming you were considering treatment.  Are you saying that you've already had the treatment and the pain has returned?  My consultant did say they could repeat the treatment, if needed but it wasn't needed in my case.  I think I'd have tried this , had I needed to, as I was set against surgery.

There appear to be differences in how hydrodilatation is done - e.g. mine was saline, cortisone and some local anaesthetic.  What happened in your case and was it successfula at first?

• Posted

I have read about hydrdiallation. From what I can see it is not very popular in the US. I wish it was, because it looks as if it is a way to release the adhesions without a full fledged "general anesthesia " surgery

• Posted

Try heat pads for pain. Did you ask about mua?
    • Posted

I use heat pads, MUA falls under surgery in the US and with a 4K deductible it is out of the question now
  • Posted

Hi Ruby, I'm an advocate of capsule release surgery. 6months out of surgery and I'm back to normal. I started the freeze in may had surgery in August and I'm finally back to normal. I never thought it would end. My surgeon said it would have been 2 years if I hadn't had surgery because my capsule was 6 times the thickness of what it should have been.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.