Frozen shoulder affecting whole wellbeing!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been suffering with frozen shoulder since October after major surgery in July. I have received a lot of comfort from reading all the posts and realising there are other people out there going through such a debilitating problem.  I am still in daily pain and

feel a long way off the 'frozen' part of the process!  I was wondering does this stage

happen overnight or is it a very gradual lessening of pain?  Also does anyone out there feel that their frozen shoulder is affecting other muscles and their posture?  I wake up every morning with a 'coat hanger' of pain across my shoulders and neck, find it difficult to turn my head and feel so weary that I struggle to see how I am going to get through the day.  It does loosen up during the course of the day but I strongly feel that my whole body has gone into protective mode and my neck, arms and back all ache.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, my FS definitely affected my posture, and caused other muscles to hurt, especially in my upper arm.  Right before I started PT, I noticed that  - particularly first thing in the morning, after getting out of bed - I was walking around with my shoulders slumped and rounded.  PT has helped me gain considerable strength and flexibility, and my posture has gradually been improving.  I have much less pain in my shoulder and upper arm.

Good luck.  wink

• Posted

Suzanne as Lisa stated we tend to slump our shoulders in protective mode which only makes things worse. I am doing PT twice a week and massage once a week. The massage really helps keep things loose although it is brutal. My therapist really stretches those muscles out manually. It is pretty painful but after she gets done with the massage I actually feel so much better. My biggest problem area is the point in my arm where my deltoid and bicep join. My muscles ball up there and really hurt.

On a side note, I was in Boca Raton last w÷eked and got a massage from a therapist at the resort and she suggested I look into "Glaston therapy." Has anyone tried this? She said it is a technique used to break up scar tissue.

• Posted

I believe you are referring to the Graston technique which is used mainly to break up post surgical scar tissue.

I have been researching this and it seems that some FS sufferers have had good results from the treatment. Problem is none of my local chiropractors perform this and I need to drive and hour and a half to get it done.

The practitioners use curved steel implements to perform the procedure.

It may be worth giving it a try. For my own part, I am willing to try anything as long as it doesn’t make things worse.

• Posted

Yes, it is Graston Jim. She said it's pretty painful but really helps with other types of injuries. Some PTs do it as well.

• Posted

Hi Brent,

I went on line to youtube and ran a couple videos to see what they actually do and they locate areas where they feel the scar tissue is and then rub the area with the metal instruments.

So, I tried an experiment on my own by rubbing a dinner knife handle for a couple minutes over where I find pain. It produced discomfort from the rubbing, but after I felt some relief. So maybe there is something to this.

• Posted

Thank you all for your helpful responses.  I assume by 'massage' you are all being helped by deep tissue massage and not the very pleasant 'feel good' massage!

Also I have seen three different PTs and two of them literally just take notes and say there is nothing they can do for frozen shoulder! The third one manipulates my arm and usually manages to get it out to 90 degrees but the next day it is back

to limited movement.  I am obviously seeing the wrong PTs!

• Posted

Having the right PT for you can make all the difference!  I've experienced that with my own frozen shoulder - and with other injuries I have had.  With the frozen shoulder I had one that basically did nothing when it was starting to freeze after my surgery - and then made it worse!  Another was very experienced.  But his technique was so painful that I had tears in my eyes the entire time - and any gains that he made were immediately lost as my arm just locked right back up from all the trauma.  Finally I found the right PT for me.  Right from the first visit I had a reduction in pain and started to make gains in mobility.  Don't give up!  That right professional is out there for you.  If you have any teaching hospital near you that may be a place to start.  Good luck - 

• Posted

I had a friend who was a general surgeon who had actually had a frozen shoulder. He warned me against having surgery on my frozen shoulder - implying that there were serious risks with surgery to this most complex joint in our body - our shoulders. But obviously perhaps surgery would be helpful for some situations. I would encourage you to follow your own gut instincts and be strong about what feels right for you. You sounded really positive about your PT and the progress you have made. That kind of positive feeling and progress is really valuable on a frozen shoulder journey. My understanding with MUA is that it is not recommended until after you have finished freezing. You could always ask your doctor to provide you with the evidence of why they think it should be done. You can also ask them how many of these procedures they have done and what percentage of their patients have had a positive result, and the specific outcomes they achieved. The doctor may not like you asking them to be accountable in this way for their advice, but these days it is not hard for a doctor to print and provide you with a research paper or an overview of their surgical outcomes. You could even ask to speak with one of their former patients. I would also say that if you do not feel comfortable with this surgeon, and you are in an unwell and vulnerable situation, it might be worth looking for another doctor with whom you feel more comfortable. Good luck.
  • Posted

To feel for you I thought I had some serious disease because thenoain from my shoulderdpread to the other shoulder neck all down my spine and headaches thought it had caused some neurological hypersensitivity cause I have disc prolapse meal and lower back as well nutdallinf on my shoulder like you had made my posture wrong . I flell over 2 no November last year and caused adhesive capsulitis . Yesterday I had an op arthroscopy capsular release at the moment I can't feel anything as I have 3 day nerve block not worn off yet. It's mad I'm out of pain at the moment and can't feel my fingers or grasp anything it's like having a rubber arm at the moment but I have been told I will need painkillers once the pain. Lock wears off !!

• Posted

You've had a hard time Suzanne. Hopefully you get through thi with minimal pain.

This is such a horrible disease, I wonder why someone hasn't discovered the true cause and a better solution. I guess there is more money in cosmetic surgery than helping people get better.

We read about research in cancer and other diseases being heavily funded, but I have never heard of any research being done into frozen shoulder. 

So many people are afflicted and it causes so much life quality issues.

At least by talking about this we know we are not alone. Someone said recovery is a long journey, but if it is a long journey I want to go by the fastest route. The final recovery is still far away for me, even though I have 70-80% function back.

• Posted

Going from the freezing phase to the frozen stage was gradual for me.  I was doing PT when this transition took place.  My pain began to decrease, as well as my mobility.  I thought I was given the wrong exercises and went to a different doctor, who said I had FS and was in the frozen stage.  My posture has definitely changed.  My bad shoulder to my neck is raised about an inch higher than my good side. I too wake up in pain, mostly in my shoulder.  I use a tennis ball against the wall to massage the tight muscles.  This helps me a lot.  I'd agree that your body has gone into protective mode.  If you can afford it, I'd suggest getting massages.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.