Frozen Shoulder after AC Joint Exicision, bursa removal and shaving of acromium.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

I am a bit lost at the moment as nobody is listenening to me. I had the above at the beginning of December, all seemed well after, although I didnt know about the bursa removal or shaving of the acromium until I read the notes given to me at the hospital. Physio was going well, I was exersising every 2 hours as told to. On my 1st check up with the surgeon, I asked why my arm just past my arm pit was still so bruised and swollen and extremely painful to be informed very bluntly, that I had bled into my arm during surgery, then dismissed. I ended up going to me GP with the pain, he said I had a haematoma and gave me cream to disperse it, nothing worked, I was in terrible pain and had stabbing pains through my arm into my fingers. I explained all of this to the physio, who dismissed the haematoma. By this time some of the exercises he gave me I could not manage and he said my muscles had tightened up and gave me some easier ones. On returning for my 2nd check up with the surgeon, he tested my range of movement and said bluntly, you have frozen shoulder and what I had done was not worth this. I asked why the bruising and lump was still there and he said because of the frozen shoulder. I told hom what the physio had said about the muscles and he replied, that it did not matter, all that mattered was the shoulder had frozen. He sent me for aggressive physio which felt like my arm was snapping, but the ROM is still very limited, I am still in terrible pain, which is different from day to day. The lump has flattenened but still a round mark there. It feels like I can move the joint but the muscles are restricted, most of the pain is where the lump was and in the muscles at the top and under my arm. My shoulder blade is sickeningly painful, pain in the elbow, wrist and fingers. i feel like there is more to it, but nobody is listenening. My neck has stiffened and muscles have wasted. The thing is, I went swimming and can manange that, surely if the joint is frozen I wouldnt be able to. My external rotation, forward and side adduction is very limited and I cannot get my arm up my back. Somebody please help or at least let me know if anyone has had similiar problems and what to do next.

Thank you so much.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh wow, they have put you there the mill haven't they. The swelling will be from the surgery, mine is still swollen 3 months later. So sad your surgeon an physio are so unsympathetic. I really feel for you and wish I had some other advise but if I were you I would be screaming for an xray/scan etc. Hugs xxx
    • Posted

Aw thank you. Its not from the surgery and its 4 months, its from the bleeding down into my arm, apparently my GP says that it burns the tissue. There is no swelling on the joints, that healed perfectly, its the lump in my arm. Did yours go smoothly? I am at my wits end, but trying not to get in a hole. Thats what I would like, an MRI to see exactly whats going on. Thanks for the hugs x
    • Posted

I had AC reconstruction surgery which went to plan apart from the collar bone started to fracture when they put the screws in, but it is all holding together nicely so far. Physio has been built up slowly and I am now 3/4 back to full ROM (I had FS in the same shoulder for 17 months prior to my accident and he is determined that it doesn't re freeze). My surgeon and physio could not have been better and I have xrays every time I go, had MRI too before op to see extent of damage. It still gets inflamed and sore and achy but is better than it has been since sept 2013 so I have no complaints. You Defo need an MRI. Good luck. xxxxx
    • Posted

Sounds like you had a right old time of it too, made me cringe. I think Ive just had a run of bad luck with my care. I am def going to discharge myself back to my GP if I get no answers on Thursday. Thanks. Hope you stay well. xxx
    • Posted

Hi, just an update. Am having an MRI on Wednesday, results the following Friday. Surgeon said he thinks scar tissue has formed adhesions on the joint, so will have to have manipulation under anaesthetic or further surgery. Not happy but at least it's progress, will seem like I've gone backwards, but hopefully I will recover properly this time x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.