Frozen shoulder after labrum tear surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I am a 46 year old woman. On June first I underwent my first surgery ever. I had a torn labrum slap tear, biceps was cut and attached down my arm a little way do to it being shredded up at the top, acriom was hooked so that was shaved down and quite a few bone spurs were shaved off! My rotator cuff was not torn just p*ssed off! I also have some bulging and degenerative neck problems. The surgery seemed to go fine I was very nervous going in too surgery but felt pretty good after! At day 10 I was still feeling pretty good although my neck was really starting to get sore from sling! After that things went downhill! I started getting shooting pains down my arm that would just about toss me to the floor in pain! My neck was agonizing and I seemed to be getting worse every day not better! At three weeks I showed up for the start of my pt and she removed my sling and started her evaluation. The look on her face was alarming but I had no clue what was happening just figured normal surgery stuff! Well apparently I had gotten extreme frozen shoulder which she avoided telling me but texted my dr! I am now 8 weeks out of my surgery and 6 weeks into frosen shoulder! I do pt 3 times a week and exercises at home daily! I did a week on the heavy steroids and also take meloxicam! I saw my surgeon last week and he ordered me a passive motion machine for my home! I am not improving still feels like the freezing is just starting but I am also still recovering from surgery so it's hard to separate the 2! Has anyone else used the passive motion machine for therepy for FS? This is awful I can do stuff for about 4 hours a day then mainly the pain is too much! I'm so afraid this is just the beginning of the FS! Is there anyone else currently dealing with this and surgery recovery simoutaniously? Please tell me how this should play out!

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Alison, I am 67 & still working in a office (lots of typing) am looking at retiring in a couple of months but this came up last year due to a fall. insurance MRI was turned down, wanted PT first. After about 5 weeks a few movements were better but most movements were getting worst. After MRI it was discovered I had 2 Labrel tears, a cyst & torn bicep mustle. Surgery was done on 10/7/16, started PT a week later 3 days a wk. (passive for a few weeks then agressive). Released to work on 12/19/16 but cont. PT-M-W-F. I did at home T-thurs-Sat & Sun. By 1/31/17 I was stll having much problems, lots of pain but PT cont. though I kept telling them I was in much pain during PT, after & couldn't sleep with pain. Finally they sent me back to my dr. who determined I had a frozen shoulder. Surgery again on 2/1/17 to cut & scape all scarring. Started PT the following day 5 days a week plus me doing it on weekends. Released to work on 2/20/17. Cut down to 3 days PT & the rest I do at home. I have alot mor movement but still struggle with some & pain. much pain after & after one real heavy PT, they hurt me where I couldn't move my arm for 2+ days. Since then constant pain from shoulder to elbow. The want to cut me off the pain pills 5mg not strong at all. Set appt. with Dr for 3/16/17 to find what the heck is going on....He needs to recommend something...maybe another PT place or what! Tired, frustraed etc.

• Posted

Hi Dan, how are you (and your shoulder) doing now?? I had a broken humorous and torn labrum, and had a Bankart repair 7 weeks ago. I started PT at week 4, but I've been in excruciating pain. It turns out (after just having an MRI with contrast, most painful thing ever) that I have a frozen shoulder. ?? I am curious about your recovery. 

• Posted

I'm 50 years old and am seeing an orthopedic surgeon for 2 full tears in my rotator cuff and a posterior labrum tear.. I've already had rotator cuff surgery on this shoulder 3 years ago and the rehab was very difficult. I'm hoping that I don't have to have open surgery this time due to my prior surgery and full extent of this injury. I'm newly divorced and alone.. This recovery will be almost impossible without some kind of help.. Has anyone had this problem and would like to talk about it?

#worriedinNYS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.