Frozen Shoulder and Anchor Tendon

Posted , 8 users are following.

I started PT in Dec 2015.  I went twice a week for 12 weeks and was doing very well.  Then it went downhill.  I started getting severe pain from my long anchor tendon.  The PT was so painfull i would beg him to stop. He tried dry needling, electrodes, taping.  I decided to stop the PT and do my own excerises, which I'm very faithful with. I ice at least once a day.  Now I have to use a pillow at night to support my arm.  It's been 8 months.  I'm getting very discouraged.  I'm a golfer and it kills me not to be able to get out there. I have read and read on this FS.  My doctor told me also to push until it hurts doing the excerises.  I don't agree with that.  I do the daily routines but try not make it hurt.  I hope I'm right.  Reading all of your stories is helping me some.  I just feel like it will never be the same. Keep up the good discussions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia

I live in British Columbia.  My physiotherapist told me the exact opposite.  My shoulder began this ridiculous journey last November.  About 6 weeks ago, it stopped hurting through the night and I was able to sleep again - now it is more discomfort.  At the worst point, I couldn't lift my arm on its own at all - I certainly couldn't reach around my back.  My physio said to just keep moving the arm until I felt a bit of discomfort so as not to lose any range of motion.  I take it to that edge every day, but definitely not to the point of pain.  It is now July and I have been dealing with this for 8 months.  I can now lift my arm 90 degrees and reach across my back (although not up towards a bra strap yet).  I don't notice a difference day to day, but every week I gain a little more movement - I can now reach the top of my steering wheel, but I can't comfortably rest my arm on the car door with the window down.  Little accomplishments like that tell me I'm going in the right direction and an end is in sight.  It's hard to say if this would have gone faster with aggressive painful physio, but I'm content with the path I've taken.  Incidentally, the best stretch I was given that also provided some pain relief was to stand by my bed, bend at the waist and let my "bad" arm hang down like an elephant trunk, letting the shoulder droop into it.  Use your good arm to keep your balance against the bed.  Gravity acts as traction.  Start making teeny circles with your arm as it hangs down.  I found so much relief from this - particularly when I couldn't sleep.  As my range of motion increased, so did the size of the circles.  Good luck to you as you navigate this nasty affliction!

• Posted

Thank you. The arm swing is called the Codman. It's great and does help. I've noticed little things also. But today I'm feeling a bit depressed. Last week was a good week thought I was on the road to recovery and then the spasms started again. Also I lost my balance and hit my shoulder. Oh, the jolting pain. Tears....

• Posted

I also have to strongly disagree with the "no pain no gain" attitude - it is not universally accepted and many surgeons believe it will do more harm than good.  It seems more prevelant in the US than here in the UK, for some reason.   I've always been told to stop when it hurts and do gentle, stretching excercises to try to keep as much movement as possible.  

What worked for me was hydrodilatation, which I had after about 6 months of hell with my shoulder..  Within 2 days of the procedure I was pain free and have remained so.  I didn't get instantaneous release of my shoulder but since December, when I had it done, I have regained 90% of my movement back though gentle (and to be honest, not very regular) excercise, without pain.  I'm pretty much back to normal now - there's little I can't do and the most I've experienced is a bit of mild discomfort if I do too much or lift anything too heavy.  I know hydrodilatation doesn't work for everyone but there are certainly other, less painful routes than intensive physiotherapy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.