Frozen shoulder and neck pain

Posted , 23 users are following.

Since having frozen shoulder, I have also suffered with neck pain and neck stiffness. It's not the same dreadful, unbearable pain that you get in your shoulders and arm, just a dull, persistent ache. Does anyone else have this? I have been told that I have a slight amount of arthritis in my neck, but that this is 'normal' for someone of my age (53). I never had this pain before I had frozen shoulder - there is probably a connection but I'm not sure if it's the frozen shoulder causing the neck pain or if the neck problem may be the cause of my frozen shoulder!

4 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i too have neck pain , and sometimes its quite bad other times just a dull ache . i bought a wheat sack , and you heat it in the microwave for 1 minute then put it on the neck or shoulder , it lasts long enought to take away some pain and discomfort .
  • Posted

Rescue stretch is the way to go sit in a chair and use your affected arm to grap under the chair with your hand lean to the side and pull tight with arm and turn your head do both sides I learned this in pt I can send a pick if you send your email address

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Yes it's so miserable my neck feels like a wire cable maybe ask for physical therapy exercises for your neck .i do some but still feel like I have a wooden neck .
  • Posted

You poor thing. Yes, I have the neck pain too, it's so bad, they thought I had a disc rupture in addition to the frozen shoulder. Physical Therepy and hot baths help maintain the level of pain, not relieve it, just as long as it doesn't get any worse. Hope you feel better JillGrace. And everyone else here for that matter!  
  • Posted

I guess it's common to have no curve in the neck when you have FS. I have the same thing. My doctor said it's because of the pain and the way the body is compensating for the FS. The doctor said it should go away after, whenever the FS decides clear up. I bought an expensive traction pillow that I sleep on some nights. Have you been getting the nasty headaches too?

• Posted

PS they thought I had a disc rupture too, just like Jen. Nope just the no curve in the neck. 
  • Posted

Hello I am a practicing doctor of chiropractic and Iused to have the worst time helping patient's who suffered with frozen shoulder. In frozen shoulder cases  scar tissues form around and through muscle tissue just like ivy growing through a lattice fence. The scar tissue also forms arounfd the nerves in the muscles so movement becomes very restricted and painful. Problem was this pain expressed itself when I would try to passively stretch the joints and muscles. About 8 years a go I became certified in Manipulation under anesthesia but I like to call it Physical Sedative Medicine whereas the patient is put under anesthesia and then I work the joint in all directions and actually loosen the scar tissue up allowing freedom of movement to return. The scar tissue no longer is irritating the nerves and the apin is gone. This sounds so dangerous but really it is not. Typically takes 2-3 sessions and each session is only 10 minutes long.

• Posted

John this is sure interesting . Allopathic medicine scientists have all said this is the inner joint capsule which shrinks causing loss of range. Tell us more about the scar tissue in the muscle and around the nerves. Chiropractic looks like it's ahead of medical doctors and therapists. Tell us of any peer reviewed stuff ykou have on FS.

• Posted

I have had exact same problem . My own physio does not want to touch shoulder anymore as she thinks something is detached . Trying to get referred for MRI is like waiting to see pigs fly. Pain is unbearable at times .
  • Posted

How is your shoulder and neck now ? 

Regards

Lorraine

• Posted

Yes, I have two frozen shoulders, one 11 months, one 6 weeks.  I didn't have the neck/trapezius pain with the older one, which has settled down a lot, but with the new one I have neck ache and pain on both sides (trapezius).  It helps to lay down.  My x-rays showed a good curve in my neck and no arthritic changes, so it must be the shoulder affecting the neck.  I'm going to wait this whole thing out.  I may get acupuncture if the pain continues after several more months.  I find Akuamma, a natural herbal painkiller that I take in capsules, works wonders for me and helps me to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.