Frozen shoulder and stress

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am curious as to how many others with this condition were experiencing some kind of stress when it started?  I was selling house and moving across country away from son and grandkids when it started. I was also doing a lot of painting and was not to active before that for a couple years. So I think combo of moving a lot and stress brought it on. Once I moved and had family come visit I started thawing. Just curious as to others with stress. 

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Absolutely I was very sad and stressed out before both frozen shoulders started...I have wondered if it is due to the tightening of muscles around the neck and shoulder areas.   Interestingly I have also noticed during the active part of it I had much more pain at night if I was anxios or worried about something.  I brought this up to my Dr. and basically any kind of stress has a negative effect on any condition and I believe can bring any sickness on.  This being said, in a curious way it has brought my attention to how I handle life's stressor's. I now work on excepting what is and just making the best of every situation, even frozen shoulder.  Try and see your move in a positive light,

exploring a different part of the country,meeting new people and then sharing that experience with your son and grandkids.

Thanks for bringing this topic up I will also be curious if others had the same experience.

• Posted

Hi Cindy. Yes I'm a fellow Cindy... I had my first frozen shoulder around 2015 ; never experienced anything like it before. But my mother had suffered with it many years before me and she told me hers were treated with liquid gold!!. So maybe there is an heritory link, this is again a discussion I started back then, and some agreed and others didn't. It is just so frustrating how this common condition seems to have the medical profession baffled , I thankfully have come out the other side of 2 frozen shoulders without undergoing a surgeons knife. I to found this forum a saving grace hence why I am still around even though my pain is over, I wouldn't have managed as I did without the support of this network who totally understood the hell and daily struggle of living with FS. For all those still suffering ; there is hope; it does get better, and your life will return to normal , there is no manual, no one size fits all, we all need to find our own way and find what works for us. Take care

• Posted

Lisa,

I had just went through the worst year of my life. I won't bore anyone with the details but my family dealt with enough last year to bring anyone to their knees. Things have changed for the better now but I definitely feel that stress has contributed to my health. Hoping to reverse those affects this year.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and I hope everything turns around for you. I have a different outlook on life in general now and don't take anything for granted.  Good luck on your recovery all around. 

• Posted

Hi. I'm thankfully out the other side of x2 frozen shoulders. I posted 2 years ago regarding the correlation with stress and FS. It created a fair debate if I remember rightly, I was clutching at anything to try and find a solution to this hideous condition. I strongly believe it is associated with stress and hormonal changes.. I have since changed my diet and my outlook on life. I found this site and it's community an amazing support when I needed them most. I wish everyone a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I do believe the hormones have something to do with it also. I have started menopause, I think, a few months before but I think those issues were all due to stress also. I definitely am changing the way I look at things and am thankful for everyday. I am trying to get back on a better diet and exercise again also. Thanks for your thoughts and advice. 
    • Posted

Hi Cindy I am month 7 of frozen shoulder and I do think it is related to hormonal changes (I am 54. It literally came out of the blue...within a week,  had limited rom and was in PT. I also have a torn rotator cuff, partial, full thickness tear. Can you summarize how you changed your diet? I need to research low inflammation diets.
    • Posted

Hi there. I have dabbled with my diet for around 4 years now as I believe I started going through 'the change ' quite early; I was feeling sluggish; emotional and achy. I then had a period of extreme stress quickly followed by FS's. I firstly cut out processed foods ; bread and sugar; as I found all of these to be having a negative affect on my health.

I am also now a vegetarian, and I ensure I get lots of ginger and turmeric in my diet. I try to eat mainly plant based food's and i use plant based milk in drinks. Im no diet expert but im a strong believer of 'listen to your body and mine was crying out for change, I feel loads better, more alive.

I hope you are out of this awful condition soon. Take care.

• Posted

Good for you Lisa. I hope your positive outlook is bringing you great happiness; thank you for bringing the stress /hormonal debate to light again . I feel the doctors should listen but they just don't seem interested and seem utterly clueless on how to treat Frozen Shoulder.

• Posted

When I had my first (and major) FS I asked my GP if menopause had anything to do with it and he said it did not. I did my own research and found out that most females affected were menopausal. Wrote my doctor a note in hopes he would do a little research of his own to be better informed the next time a menopausal woman with FS asked. Not that it makes any difference ultimately, but being as informed as possible can only help. 

?Re low inflammation diet info is everywhere.

Of course, reading about them & sticking to them are two different things.. I do eat more vegetables and fruit, but I always crave protein and nothing but fish, poultry and meat work for me. My digestive system does not like too many green leafy vegetables or too much soy. Avoiding carbs is just impossible for me so I eat as few as possible (for me) and stick to whole grain and some gluten free. I like variety. I may be all wrong in my approach, but I'm doing what is feasible for me. 

I also take a weekly Qi Gong/Tai Chi class in order to stretch and do as much walking as I can. 

• Posted

Thanks Cindy. I also have been taking a lot of vitamin supplements through this. I have turmeric, ginger, glucosamine, collagen 2 and a couple others that I really think have helped. Like you stated the doctors don't listen so I don't waste my money or time on them. I also am grateful for this forum it is helpful to hear others opinions that have been through this, although I would not wish this condition on anyone. Thanks again. 

• Posted

Hi 

I believe there are two Cindy's on this feed.... Maybe Cindy's are more prone to getting F.S!  jk. 

I just wanted to say I too am grateful for this group because the doctors don't know a whole lot about it. And it helps to know there are others out there who are going through it also.      What I've learned from this group is that the surgeries that are offered have about a 50% chance of working and in too many cases made it worse! Massage, heat, cold packs,Advil help.  Being aware of my stress triggers so as not to aggravate my neck and shoulder muscles, being aware of how I sit at the computer and how im sitting while driving.(making sure my shoulders are back and my spine straight and tall.) Also exercise has helped a lot with my outlook and body strength. good day to everyone

• Posted

I agree with everything you said. Seems taking care of it yourself is best. Thanks for input. 
  • Posted

Yes, to some degree. I also had recently bought an old house, did a lot of repetitive motion wallpaper removal, etc and had done way too much shoveling as it was a heavy snow winter. Doctor seemed to think the work could have brought it on.  The whole process began with one event however. I was in bed and had gotten up on one elbow. I thought I had been stabbed in my my shoulder. From that day on I couldn't move my arm without excruciating pain. I did recount the incident to the doctor, but he said that FS "doesn't start that way". Mine sure did.. There was apparently no sign of a cuff tear because I was never treated for one.

But the 2nd and less severe one was during less strenuous times and just started gradually. Had acupuncture and it faded away..

• Posted

Yes!  The onset of my first shoulder was very shortly after giving birth.  I ignored it for probably 2 months due to being so tired and preoccupied.  With the second one its hard to say... I'm always pretty stressed and have always had trouble sleeping since the first one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.