Frozen shoulder at 18

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

I am a 18 year old female who was just diagnosed with frozen shoulder. How did I get this so young? Is my doctor even correct? Last winter I fell on my shoulder while snowboarding. The doctors didn’t see a tear and just told me I sprained it. After doing 4 months of PT I could finally move it but still had pain and a lot of popping. Fast forward 6 months I was playing tennis and was serving when I felt a pop and heard a snap like a rubber band from my shoulder. After that I couldn’t move it. The doctor did an MRI and didn’t see any tear in the rotator cuff, but said she saw a small black line going through my labrum. But, she also thought it might have been nerve damage. I have been in PT for about a month now and have gotten a good amount of range of motion back. She just told me I have frozen shoulder, but I’m so young? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

that is very young for FS... if you heard a pop and a snap... you really need an Arthrogram.  that is the MRI with contrast that will show any tears.  a regular MRI will not show them.  but it's possible you have FS...

they told me and say it's not hereditary, or genetic... but my twin sister had FS exactly three years earlier... coincidence?  I think not...

• Posted

That what I was thinking Jmiller0007, but my doctor said I didn’t need one because I have gotten so much range of motion back in such a short time. However, I forgot to mention that I got a cortisone shot and that helped signicantly with the pain and helped me get most of my movement back. 
    • Posted

hummm, that doesn't really sound like FS?  if just a shot and PT is giving you all your range back (I wish that worked for me)  FS lasts years and is extremely painful, especially at night, but you are young, maybe that's helping?  mine started in Feb.  it's now November... and is frozen, no ROM, I'm having Manipulation in two weeks to break it free.

• Posted

You ARE very young but it would appear that any injury can start it off! I am now in the thawing stage of FS and my shoulder pops a lot; especially in the morning and when I stretch - feels good!!! You have youth on your side Aliza and that counts for a lot with regards recovery and remember that it goes through it's phases and then completely goes.  I'd go easy on the tennis and stick with the PT for now - I managed to maintain a good deal of motion with my FS as I attended weekly physio, it was the pain that drove me nuts!! Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Emma I have exactly the same symptoms as you.  Are you better now or are you still suffering? I Erie with the same hand as my frozen shoulder and my hand and arm is so weak I am findlmg it hard to write or even hold a cup! As the nerve pain is unbearable with frozen shoulder. Please call me I'm on 07939 612243 uk it would be noce to talk to people with the same problems as myself and try to come up with some help or a solution to this horrible never ending complaint . This is my third suffering month!! 

• Posted

I'm 42 and physio sent me for routine checks to check it wasn't the start of menopause - all came back okay just slightly anaemic.  I can assure you, I had frozen shoulder, it started in March this year - the horrendous pain that worsens just as you get into bed, sleepless nights, elbow and wrist pain and trembling in the digits due to atrophy of the muscles - diagnosed by 2 consultants. The second consultant told me I had a 'mobile' frozen shoulder as I only lost approx. half of all range of motion and completely lost ability to put hand on buttock.  I put it down to regular physio and passive exercise x4 daily for 15 minutes.  I actually found that if I didn't do the exercises I would be in more pain.

• Posted

Hi emma42493, 

I have never had a awful pain just a deep aching feeling in the front and side of my shoulder. The popping for me also hurts, does the popping ever hurt for you? 

• Posted

Hi everyone with frozen shoulder can anyone tell me what is the most comfortable position to put your arm to get some sleep at night or to reduce the pain because I havnt fount such position yet '!! Please help 😪😭

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.