Frozen Shoulder getting me down

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, im on my second frozen shoulder, my first time was early last year and i dont remember it been this painful or as bad or lasting very long, I attended physio sessions for it and it just seem to disappear, even my physio therapist doesnt remember it been as bad as this shoulder. Now its my right shoulder which is frozen. Its been like this since about February (9months). The beginning was very painful, any sudden movements would leave me weak and close to fainting with the pain. That has seemed to have stopped and the painful constant chronic stiffeness is where i am now. This has been so painful and my ROM is very bad, cannot put my arm behind my back, my right hand in my pocket, cross my arms, do the usual, raise arm above head, tie my hair up, close my bra, personal hygiene is painful, shaving under my arm is a no-no and stretching my arm to reach something or close the car door is very uncomfortable. My sleep was a joke earlier on in the year, there was no way i could lie on my right hand side and when i lay on my left i had to tuck a pillow under my armpit to support it or the pain was excruitiating, Now that as cooled down a bit and although its not as bad im still woken a few times during the night with the pain. Right this is what ive done over the last few months on this never ending search for my road to recovery, ive been to doctor quite a lot, he sent me for an xray which showed up nothing, then for an MRI (which cost me 200euro to have done quickly or free if i wanted to wait on a list for about for 2 years!!) that came back with nothing too clear, some wear and tear, no tendons torn or signs of bursitus. No rotar cuff injuries. He then sent me for physio (to the same girl i had attended with my other frozen shoulder) which ive had about 5 sessions since and have practiced the home exercises and it doesnt help or improve my shoulder at all.( She thinks im so unlucky to have it in both shoulders within a short period of time - Im only 41) Ive used all the usual anti-inflammatory gels and Voltarol oral NSAIDs, Ive had one session of Cortisone injections with my doctor (about 3 areas of my shoulder) which done absolutely nothing, Ive used a Hydrotherapy Pool quite a few times (once with a physio therapist), taken Omega 3 tablets and Joint Supplements, used Arnica Massage Balm and Tiger Balm, Ive used Versatis Medicated Plasters, Ive upped my green tea intake and i even made myself a turmeric tea the other night, not nice! Im at my wits end to why this debilitating disease is so hard to get rid of. The doctor thinks surgery is not necessary! My physio says ive two more options, to try Acupunture or to have more Cortisone Injections done by a radioligist under fluoroscopy. At the moment Im off work on 2 weeks shoulder rest (under instruction from Doctor and Physio) while i take more NSAIDs. I dont think people (family, work colleagues etc) actually realise the pain and discomfort of this terrible infliction and I just want my shoulder and arm to be better.(I also get sharp nervey pains in my upper arm and in my wrist from this frozen shoulder).  Has anyone any more suggestions or recommendations on how to deal with this horrid horrid disease!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello.I have completely severed the tendons from both shoulders. Have had steroid in both shoulders and can understand your lack of mobility and discomfort. However there is a solution.....and maybe your doctor would agree; ask him/her. Get into the swimming pool! I had a month, where, twice daily I took an antiinflammatory to mask the pain. In that time; I was able to build up some muscle and the mobility improved 10 fold. I go to the pool every morning for a good half hour's swim. Linda; it is so worth it. I am sure if you will notice a vast improvement after 4 weeks if you

can do this. And then it just keeps getting better and better! I would strongly reccommend you chat to your doctor over this. The benefits to swimming are just wonderful. All the best

• Posted

Thanks so much Jenny for your reply. I've heard swimming is great for frozen shoulder. There is one problem though I never learnt to swim. Can't swim not one bit. It's been on my bucket list a long long time.

• Posted

Just an update to anyone reading this. This morning I booked myself in for acupuncture. The guy was brilliant, also a physiotherapist. After going through my history and checking out my ROM he asked was I ever in a car accident which I had been years ago. He then went on to say that there was no way I had frozen shoulder and could he try out some work on my neck. My other physio had never even touched on this. He applied pressure on certain areas and the pain I felt in my shoulder and upper arm was really bad. Anyway to cut along story short my ROM improved slightly!!! He is deferring acupuncture for now but was adamant I will see a significant improvement in a fortnight. I'm very happy and positive this may actually work!!! And there was me looking into surgery!!! I'll keep yee posted. For 11 months I've been convinced I had frozen shoulder so just beware guys!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.