frozen shoulder lost almost all external rotation!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was wondering out of everyone on forum that had or has frozen shoulder and lost external rotation almost completely! So if I have my hands at my side and bend at the elbow my arm goes into a sling like position! If say I were to try to lay down and try to tough the back of my hand to the ground it just stays straight up, it can't fall or move externally at all? Is this what everyone is experiencing!

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Alison, how are you doing now, are you seeing any movement in external rotation? I am Day 24 now, and external rotation still hurts INCREDIBLY... but I push through it as much as I can and I'm seeing a little bit of progress (although still painful all the way). I am getting much better internal rotation, I do the behind-the-back after doing external rotation exercies, and the behind-theback seems to actually take away the pain I felt from ER... kind of an opposite-reaction to 'undo' the pain, I guess! I have fulll forward flexion (arm up over head) (but still a bit painful)... nothing seems to be pain free yet, and I wake up around 4am every night in a bit of pain. I get up, do a bunch of stretching exercises, someetimes use the tens machine and go back to sleep for a few more hours. I'm on Tylenol and Advil pretty regularly throughout the day. It is definitely more work and pain than I was expecting. No easy way out I guess!! I did measure my 'stop' position (External rotation in abduction) on the floor, and I seem to have moved from 6 inches above the floor to 4 inches.... but obviously still painful.

• Posted

Hi thanks for updating me on your progress day 12 for me! I am seeing improvements I think my weakness is what I'm struggling with I can get my arm almost all the way up while laying down but standing and doing it on my own is totally different! I just don't have the muscle! I see my surgeon tomorrow and get stitches out and hopefully she'll have some opinion if my progress seems normal! Keep in touch! Hope you continue to make progress!

• Posted

Don't worry about the strength, I think that can always come back, it's the range that is most important, so you are doing good. How is your external rotation? is it painful at all?

• Posted

I have crazy pain, some of the PT's just push the pain so far and others go less! But I will say I see the difference after a painful pt session! But by the time night comes I am in a lot of pain. I stretch it as much as I can throughout the day! one pt told. me more then once an hour😳. Then I do a full circuit of exercises 4-6 times a day! So here's what's weird to me if you stand sideways to a wall and try to do a wall crawl I can't do that because my bad arm dosnt bend that way! Can you do this or is this all related to external rotation? Keep me posted seems like our paths are similar!

• Posted

Hi Alison, I am 4-weeks today, so double your timeframe I think. I can walk my arm up the wall sideways but it is still awkward, as it is related to external rotation. I am making good progress finally! I hit 36degrees active external rotation this week, and more passively when the therapist pulls it outwards. I find a few exercises are really helping, like lying on the floor and trying to move my arm in an arc like snow angel. I have to crawl-walk my fingers, rather than smoothly moving it, but it gradually improves every day. I also pivot my arm back and forth on my elbow from internal to external rotation while lying down, its painful but I keep pushing it. There is a great research report you should read that gives measurements of 50 patients at 1 month and 6 months. It is called "Functional Results and patient satisfaction after arthroscopic capsular release of idiopathic and post-traumatic stiff shoulder".  You can search fr it and you should be able to find it easily. I really have a lot more hope now in week 4! I also go to the pool and swim breast stroke as best I can and various modified strokes that I have come up with in the pool. The hot tub helps a lot, and acupuncture seems to help me sleep through the night. I still think it's going to take a few more months to feel any way normal though.

• Posted

Hi Alison, how is your external rotation doing? I really am no better... When my arms are bent at my side, it hardly moves out any more than it did before my surgery. I'm in the 11th week now and getting pretty frustrated. I have spent soooo much money on various therapists... 14 in total over the last 10 months!! Hope you are doing better.

• Posted

Hi good to hear from you, sorry you are still struggling! I do not have full external rotation yet either but I do not focus to much on it! I am still having a lot of pain in shoulder and especially up my neck? Are you having pain still? I do the strengthening bands on door handle and can just bend my elbow and pull the band out a little it does seem to help. I just really want to be done with the pain so I get lazy with my rom exercises because I don't want to suffer anymore😞. I am 2 months out of surgery I don't regret doing my pt seems happy with my rom so I don't stress on it to much! Let me know how your pain level is?

• Posted

Hi, My pain finally started to diminish last week (10). I am finally sleeping through the night without having to get up. I still feel pain when I try to rotate my arm beyond 20/30 degrees or so, and various positions. Swimming breast stroke still hurts, and pushing my arm back when it is fully extended to the side. When lying on the floor I can finally get my arm behind me down to the floor (the stop position) but it still hurts quite a bit. I did start taking Lyrica at night two weeks ago, and Celebrex twice a day, so perhaps this combination helped get rid of the pain.
    • Posted

i forgot to say I do not have any pain in the neck, but I have scapular dysfunction. It hurts when I try to squeeze my shoulder blades together. I get pain over the outside of my shoulder and above my armpit

• Posted

Hi just wanted to say that my pain dropped in the last week I'm pretty excited😊. Not sure if it was you giving me hope for the 9-10 week mark but that's where I am and pain got better! I'm going to get back to work this week trying to gain some rom! Hang in there everyone😊

• Posted

Hi Allison, how are you doing these days? My pain came back for two weeks and I nearly lost my mind but it seems to be calming down again. I had a steroid injection two weeks ago. Not sure if it helped really, I still have very poor external rotation at the side, but I can get my hand on the wall behind me ( the arrested position). Dr doesn't know what the problem is! I'm waiting fir a diagnostic ultrasound. 

• Posted

Oh bummer, I am doing better. Still have pain but not the same level as before! Hope you get some answers soon I stopped going to pt and just kinda enjoy the rom I have and I don't try to push to get more! But all in all I'm glad I did surgery and at the 3 month mark I feel pretty good!

• Posted

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me joining this discussion.  I had my surgery (arthroscopic capsular release - left shoulder) nearly 3 weeks ago.  I have worked really hard on my physio - but I have no more external rotation now than I had before the surgery.  I am also worried that, although I can get my arm over my head (sort of) - if I look at my armpit - it's still at right angles - - so what I'm really doing is arching my back to get my arm up.  My shoulder still feels completely locked up.  Is this normal?

• Posted

Hi Jocoflo,

Sorry to heard you are not doing well. I'm suffering from frozen hip since 4 years ago. I had capsular release 3 months ago and Just like you still dont have any ROM, is like I didnt have any surgery. Im going to swimming pool and hut tub everyday exercising and stretching hoping to gain some movement, no luck so far. I will let you know if I improve somehow, Im very consistent in my daily exercise rutine,hoping one of these days I will see a real difference.

Wishing the best and hopefully you can keep us updated with your progress.

My best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.