frozen shoulder lost almost all external rotation!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was wondering out of everyone on forum that had or has frozen shoulder and lost external rotation almost completely! So if I have my hands at my side and bend at the elbow my arm goes into a sling like position! If say I were to try to lay down and try to tough the back of my hand to the ground it just stays straight up, it can't fall or move externally at all? Is this what everyone is experiencing!

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was just diagnosised 2 weeks ago.  WOndering how you are doing after surgery.  
    • Posted

Hi! I am a little over 3 months since surgery I still have pain but not the same as before! I got FS from a shoulder surgery so it's been a long recovery! My first surgery was June then I got fs then I had mua and cr on nov 30th! I worked pretty hard first month at pt then cut back but I would say my rom is about 80 percent and pain is much better then before nov surgery! Are you deciding to have surgery?

• Posted

I am no sure what I am going to do.  Mine was probably brought on by hormones.  Had an injection of cortisone 2 weeks ago.  Going to PT twice a week. MRI showed some minor tears.  I am 52 years old,  and I am just devastated.  I ride horses and this is a problem.  Have not read many good comments about surgery.  Since I just started this process and researching I am going to see what PT does for me.  With that said this pain is hideous.   I am feeling discouraged as many do.  

I am glad you are doing better!   

• Posted

Jann, if they offer u mua or capsular release I would do it! It definatly speeds up the process plus mentally as soon as I made the decision I was less depressed! My surgeon was ready to do the surgery at 3 months I waited it out for 6 months against his advice thinking I should see if it got better on it's own but then the muscle loss is so servere that just getting the strength to raise your arm takes a lot of pt! I think mine would still be frozen if I didn't do the surgery! I feel for you the pain at that middle part was so rediculous I'm at the point where I can't really remeber it but I get flashes of those hellish 6 months and wouldn't wish it on anyone! Hang in there but really don't wait to long if surgery is an option! The first month after surgery was tough but still better then it being frozen!

• Posted

Omg.I though I was the only one going through am at the point where painkillers are not working I cant even move arm without it locking and siezing nothing ishelping it pretty upset now
    • Posted

Hello,

It is a long drawn out process, but it does get better.  Mine started last January or so and got bad in February.  It wasn't until August that the inflammation started to go away.  Slowly but surely I am getting my range of motion back.

Just wanted to write to tell you at some point it will get better.  I did physical therapy for months.  I went to the doctor every six weeks or so...I always had hope that it would be done in those six weeks...but it actually is a long process.  I probably would have cried if they told me how long it would take....but it will get better.  It is so wonderful to get bread off of the refrigerator.  Sometimes my brain has to catch up with what I can now do.

It stinks in the middle of it because of the pain and the lack of sleep.  Not a good combination.  I kept using a microwavable heat sack.

• Posted

Thank you Angela,    

Since I felt this coming on years ago but didn't know what it was and only effected minor area's of my life I didn't think much of it.   It started to get worse last summer, coming to a head in January were I could not sleep, and lost most of my range of motion.    Saw the Ortho,  did an MRI and now in going into my 3rd week of PT.   I am gaining some ROM but more than anything I would love to put my hair in a pony tail.   

That moment we forget and do something and the shooting pain drives us to buckle is the worst.   Each week I know I am closer to this being resolved,  want my life back, want to ride my horse without pain.  

Thank you for sharing.

Nice to know we are not alone, nor crazy. 

• Posted

The external and the reaching behind the back are the worse and take the longest to get back. I did no PT and had no surgery. I elected to let it run its course and at 1 yr I have 95% of my ROM with the 2 above movements mentioned being the last to completely resolve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.