Frozen Shoulder Mail on Line November 2017

Posted , 5 users are following.

[b]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5073001/Halting-agony-frozen-shoulder-just-15-minutes[b].html

Hope you all take a look at this link, some fantastic statistic outcomes posted from Dr. Funk. Hopefully more people sufferin with this quite disabling condition of adhesive capsulitis will br offered this treatment as it is claimed k n thr articles that it is widely available on the NHS in the UK. 

Thanks D Beckham

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

In the US, very few DRs use this approach.   I found one (too late) that did the shot guided by Xray to make sure he was putting the shot right on the joint capsule.  I don't know if they do the hydration part here.  I've read many comment that the hydration process was very painful.

good luck.

• Posted

This is the consultant I saw for both of my frozen shoulders - he and his team do an excellent job.  All my GP offered me on the NHS was physiotherapy - and a 3 month wait for that.  I was lucky enough to have access to BUPA through my hubby's job and the therapist I saw through them recommended I see Prof Funk and ask for hydrodilatation. 

My first shoulder was very badly frozen and extremely painful before I sought any treatment, as like the woman in the article, I thought I'd pulled a muscle and it would get better on it's own.  The hydrodilatation stopped the pain within 2 days (and the treatment wasn't painful), though it took a couple of months to get most of my movement back, as it had been so badly frozen.  When I started with the other shoulder a couple of years afterwards, I recognised the symptoms much earlier and went straight back to get treatment.  It's saved me going through months of pain and sleeplessness as I avoided most of the freezing.  I followed up with some therapy sessions with a wonderful physiotherapist, who herself had suffered with a frozen shoulder.  She ensured I kept all my ROM after the procedure though non-aggressive manipulation and exercise.  I hope that this treatment becomes more widely available on the NHS, as It could save many people from a lot of suffering.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Maria. Did you here your capsul pop during the procedure. Its disgraceful that people are suffering for many months with this condition before a refferal. Come on NHS get your act together and get patients shoulders poping moving and groving atcan early stage to avoid unessary prolonged pain
    • Posted

I didn't hear a pop - I think they managed to get more liquid in the second time round than the first, as that shoulder was so badly frozen.  Unfortunately, with NHS budget restraints, pain isn't seen as a priority, unless it's something life threatening.  Many GPs know little about frozen shoulders and are too happy to dole out painkillers and maybe suggest physio.  There is a waiting list for NHS physio, which many experts believe can do more harm than good at the freezing and frozen stage anyway.   It would, however, make sense to offer this treatment at an early stage - my consultant said, the earlier, the better the results.  As well as preventing months or even years of pain, it would save on painkillers, repeat GP consultations, prevent time off work and avoid the need for more expensive surgical interventions for many people.  With my first frozen shoulder my general health suffered too, due to the pain and lack of sleep.  I'm sure this 15 minute procedure, performed as soon as diagnosis is confirmed, would save money - and suffering - in the long term.

• Posted

Hello Maria, thanks for your very valuable contribution again. So it appears the faster you get treatment the chances of  better outcome. You said your health deteriated during the long first frozen shoulder episold. Did both shoulders make a full recovery back to normal? Thanks D Beckham
    • Posted

My first frozen shoulder started in spring 2015 but it was't until December that year that I had the hydrodilatation.  The pain was gone within days and gradually regained my ROM, mostly in the first couple of months, then a gradual return of the final bits of movement during 2016.  It remained and still is pain free and is, I believe, fully back to normal now. 

I'd had occasional twinges in my other shoulder several times since late 2015 but they didn't develop and each time, seemed to go back to normal after a couple of weeks.  This spring those twinges returned but this time they didn't go away and I started to get the tell-tale signs - difficulty in doing anything behind my back and painful if my arm was jerked, etc.  When I realised it wasn't going to go away and was getting worse, I bypassed the GP and went straight back to see Prof Funk, who did an ultrasound and confirmed it was frozen.  I had the hydrodilatation within 2 weeks of seeing him in mid June this year.  This stopped the pain and with the help of the physio, I had pretty much all my ROM back straight away.  The cortisone wore off after a couple of months but the pain didn't return - just the odd twinge if I overdo things or lift anything too heavy.  I feel a bit of minor discomfort if I sleep for too long on that side but that's about it.  I consider myself back to normal and don't think about it at all most days.

Not sure why the Mail has picked up on the treatment as being "new" - it's been around for a while now, though not necessarily widespread in the NHS.  The Prof has done research and trials of this treatment and is certainly a leading expert in this area, lecturing worldwide and is involved in developing course for other surgeons and physiotherapists.

• Posted

Great article, thanks for posting.  In the US, they typically only give the joint injection with corrizone. I stopped after five shots, three were guided joint injections. Did little to help, me anyway.

Sure hope this procidure helps people.  Two years for me so far of FS.  

• Posted

Hello April, yes it a very well writen and illustrated artical from the news paper The Daily Mail. I can not think why it is readily available. Going by Professor Funks outcome data I would guess it shpuld become readily available world wide. It is a relatively cheap process and sppears to get results. Two years is a long time to suffer with FS. Surely you would investigate surgical intervention now? 

Thanks D Beckham

• Posted

Hi

I actually had this procedure done 10 days ago, I have really benefited from a pain relief point of view but as yet still have very limited but improved movement in my shoulder, I start Physio therapy tomorrow so I am hopeful that the range of movements will only improve more over the coming weeks, I had heard really good things about Professor Funk, he has a very good website which I have been using as a reference for information prior to my procedure. I had the procedure done on the NHS, it has taken over 7 months though to get a diffinitive diagnosis by which time I was told I had severe adhesive capsulitis in my dominant arm, i can honestly say that the procedure was fine, it just felt like a lot of pressure in my shoulder , I had read some pretty terrible things about it so was prepared for the worse but it was fine.

• Posted

Well done Jackie, hope the range of movement improves in the coming days/weeks... keep us posted. You day it took 7 months to be properly diagnosed with severe AC so I guess you had MRI scan. Did the scan reveal any other indication of why you devrloped AC.... eg small cuff tear or other problem. 

Thanks D Beckham.

• Posted

Sounds like my experience first time round, my shoulder was so badly frozen, I didn't get the movement back straight away but did get relief from the pain.  I got slow and steady return of my movement over the following weeks and months.  Keep up with the exercises - but not to the point of pain and I avoided carrying anything too heavy.  Glad to hear you got it done on the NHS - good luck with your recovery.

Prof Funk uses ultrasound for diagnosis, rather than an MRI.  Many frozen shoulders have no obvious cause (primary) though it is also possible to get a secondary frozen shoulder after an injury.  I gather that the Prof is involved in research to try to pinpoint what causes it to develop - which would hopefully lead to better diagnosis and cures in the future. 

• Posted

Hi

I haven’t actually had an MRI scan which does worry me slightly, initially told I had a rotator cuff injury through training, the pain and stiffness got much worse despite intense sports Physio, I had to stop that as the pain was unbearable, I was advised by the Physio to  see the GP, I was referred to MSK and an USS revealed bursitis and tendinopathy, booked for US guided cortisone injection, when I went for that procedure the consultant radiographer told me i did not have bursitis but a frozen shoulder, he was not going to perform the injection as he said it wouldn’t help, I was desperate for some sort of relief so we agreed he would do it, he was right it didn’t help... 

I was then referred back to my GP then back to the MSK and eventually saw a surgeon, by that time I had no range of movement at all, following physical exam he made the diagnosis of FS and arranged hydrodilatation,

I saw a Physio through occupational health 2 days ago, she basically said it is up to me now, I have to push myself, break through the pain barrier to perform both excercises at home and sessions with her twice a week to avoid surgery,. I am doing my absolute best to do that but it’s easier said than done as although the pain is much better at rest it definitely isn’t better on movement . The whole thing has been such a long drawn out, painful and very frustrating process and it isn’t over yet.

• Posted

I'm amazed at so many different experiences with healthcare and the differing advice given for this condition.  Though exercise is important, it should be at the right level - I was told NOT to push through pain, doing gentle stretching and strengthening exercises but stopping if it became painful.  It took me a couple of months to  regain a significant amount of movement but by taking this gentler approach, my movement did return after being badly frozen - and without causing myself extra pain. 

If you can afford a private physio (approx £40 a session) it might be worth phoning round and finding one who really understands the condition and asking how they treat it.  A couple of sessions could set you on the best track to recover without excessive pain.  

• Posted

Hi Marie

I’m so glad to hear that the movement eventually dies come back, In honesty, this Physio that saw has given me some advice that I have already benefited from, I had taken it upon myself to stop pain relief, I felt no benefit from it and didn’t want to  continue taking codiene and naproxen for no good reason, I had always been told throughout this process to use cold compresses, she has advised me to restart the pain killers, use heat packs in a lying down position then 1 hour after pain relief and heat attempt the excercises, I do find that it actually helps a lot.

You are absolutely right though, you do get such conflicting information, I am reassured by your comments Maria, I am going to stay positive an keep at it, I will keep you posted on my hopeful recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.