frozen shoulder nerve pain

Posted , 32 users are following.

i can't cope anymore with the pain! All my nerves hurt neck scapula biceps pain all the way down arm forearm aching hand aching does anyone else have the forearm hand aching pain.

0 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tina,

In theory a frozen shoulder should nor give you hand pain. If you look up the anatomy on the web, hand pain in addition to your cervical shoulder/scapular pain should becoming from the lower cervical spine. What you really need is someone to examine your arm for not only ranges of movement but for the strength of the muscles supplied by the lower cervical and upper thoracic nerves. No exrays or scans can show this, A proper physical exam is what gives you the diagnosis and therefore the correct treatment can be implimented. I know from experience.

• Posted

Yes Tina, that's correct. I have nerve impingement and have nerve pain, caused A frozen shoulder may be aggravated by problems with the neck or nerve impingement but not causing you the pain you are describing. The frozen shoulder pain normally comes during the freezing stage and tends to be limited to over extending your arm or moving it backwards, behind the back as well as night time pain. (At least this is what I have been told by my physio and from experience). The shooting pains down my arm, into my hand and in my bicep area is apparently caused by the impinged nerves. 

All the best.

• Posted

When my shoulder was going through the worst, most painful stage on some days, my shoulder and arm would ache all the way down to my hand.  It was difficult to find a position to sit on lie comfortably.  I was told that the tight capsule was causing nerve/tendon impingement as a secondary feature.  The pain wasn't constant (worse on some days than others) and as the shoulder reached the secondary, frozen stage, this lessened.  

Since my hydrodilatation I'm no longer in pain.  There is some discomfort in the shoulder if I try to push it beyond it's range of movement (then I stop) but it doesn't ache in normal  use.  My movent is gradually improving, day by day.

• Posted

Hi Clair

If I have impingement as well as FS, is this something that will clear up on its own ? Did anything else help? I Am reluctant to take medications due to the side effects. Thank you

• Posted

How long since you had the hydrodilatation now Maria? (Mine is next Friday 19th in Newcastle NSW)
    • Posted

Since the cortisone in my bursa, I no longer need medication. The pain has come back at night though and if I extend my arm too quickly or too far it is sore - not excrutitating though. I am going to have hydrodilatation next week. Will stay in touch x
    • Posted

Same i had cortisone into the Bursa then 4 months later local anaesthetic abd cortisone into the joint lasted four weeks im pain again if i knock or it gets banged i lean on it nighttime its painful and spend most of itv wake i take morphine to help of a night it gives me 2 hours at a time. I spoke to th radiologist today whis doing my hydrodilation, its being done under xray local anaesthetic and they put saline an air to dilate the joint. Mines on 25th Feb to be honest not looking forward to it at all now
    • Posted

Nor me! Am terrified! I just know that the actual cortisone was painless and I keep telling myself it won't hurt! I know that others on here have told me it does not hurt. I PROMISE I will let you know and will be honest!

DEAL?!

• Posted

I too was terrified when I went for my hydrodilatation - but I needn't have been - and I am being honest!.  You get a local anaestheic injection first - this is much the same as any injection - not exactly pleasant but not painful.  That numbs the area for the hydrodilatation injection.  I was told I might feel some pushing - there was a little discomfort but not painful and it was over before I realised.  My daughter had come with me and drove me home - I felt absolutely fine!  There was a little aching the next day when the anaesthetic wore off but within a couple of days, the cortisone kicked in and I was pain free!

I had mine done on 14th December, so it's now 2 months.  I can sleep again without pain and don't need to be propped up or on my back - though there is still a little discomfort (not pain) if I lie on my bad shoulder for too long.  I don't wake up aching and can get on with my life as normal, with just a little restriction on high reaches.  I do my excercises at home and can now put my hair up, fasten my bra and my crawling up the wall excercise gets me above head height. 

Good luck with your procedures ladies, try not to be scared and let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Evidently im not having cortisone im having slocal the saline and air but i thought the procedure you had cortisone as it prevents scar tissue growing back although ive been told no more cortisone injections
    • Posted

I have heard that simply expanding the joint with saline or air can disrupt the adhesions and it doesn't necessarily need the cortisone to do that.  I thought the cortisone was normally added to assist healing and help with pain relief.  Did they say why no cortisone - or have you already had it too often?  I thought you were allowed 3 in a year (?)  I hadn't had cortisone before, when I had mine done.

Best of luck with it anyway, I do hope it works well for you.

• Posted

Thank you Clair good luck with the Hydrodilation x I am trying a session of Reiki before I go down any other route , to be honest I'm terrified of having any procedure ... I need to man up a little !
    • Posted

Ive had 2 cortisones but docyor said no mos thry obviously was working had one in bursa one in the joint but will see how it goes x dreading it a bit now might ask for something to make me sleepy although id rather be out of it now as i dont like needles lol such a whimp i am
    • Posted

That makes no sense i had 2 they didnt work on forva few days so doctor said no more x
    • Posted

I knew what you were saying fear not! Yes - more than 3 in a year is not recommended. I had one about 3 weeks ago and having the hydrodilatation next week so......stuff it I just want this DONE AND DUSTED!!! Ha!   cheesygrin   I am trying my best to man up - fake it til you make it I say!
    • Posted

Thankyou for trying to help me . My physical therapist said I should not have passive pain without movement like I do. I am a free motion or was a free motion quilter prior to this. I have shoulder pain arm pain bicep ,forearm and hand pain all day long. My hand on the bad arm will feel real warm inside when at its worst and slightly swollen. doctor said Mir of neck does not show pinched nerves. Could tendonitis cause this. Doctor just says bad case of frozen shoulder. If the do a physical exam I can barely move arm and who would be best qualified to do it . Getting so I don't trust doctors anymore.

• Posted

Yes!  A Physiatrist figured out my problem.  It was total dysfunction of my scapula pulling on my spinal cord. 
    • Posted

Sorry this just got to me today!  No the physiatrist stood behind me and had me lifting my arms up thumbs up slowly and then slowly lower them. My right shoulder blade would swing out about half way up out of sync with the left. 
    • Posted

Hi Tina I have the same symptoms that you are describing. I see that your post is a of couple years old, and I am wondering how you were doing now? Did you do any other treatments, or did you wait it out? Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.