Frozen shoulder - Pain in arm after an MUA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I got FS as a result of not moving my arm due to pain from Bursitis late last summer.  After being in the "frozen" stage for months, I was unwilling to sit and wait for the "thawing stage" to begin and went in for 2nd opinion.  Went to shoulder surgeon that agreed with my desire for a more aggressive approach.  I had Manipulation under anethesia 2.5 weeks ago and am soooo thankful I did.  I have almost full range of motion back in some movements, but need a lot of assistance from my other hand/arm.  I cannot believe the amount of muscle loss I experienced with not being able to move my arm past shoulder height for 6 months.  I have been in intense PT since the procedure (daily for week 1, 3x week in week 2 and 3) and we have not begun the strength training part yet because I do not have full ROM back.   The exercises/stretching part is now seeming to become very painful. ...Not so much in the shoulder itself... but  I get sharp, shooting pains from mid upper arm, down through the elbow.  And it seems to be in the same position as my arm is extending up and coming back down.  I cannot tell if it's muscles, tendons, nerves... or what!  My therapist said that this pain pathway is normal and that I have to continue to try and push just a "little" past the pain, instead of stopping when it gets to that point.  I have left therapy in tears twice just because of the pain.   I only have pain while doing my exercises at home or @ therapy.  Sitting idle or maneuvering around brings no pain or discomfort.  

I am assuming that all the muscles/tendons have to be stretched back out to normal again  but They are NOT LIKING the workout!  

Anyone else have a tough time with muscle spasms when in therapy after MUA, specifically in the arm?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tamara

I know exactly what you're describing! The muscle loss and strength loss is scary. I am fighting every day to keep my shoulder from freezing up again and stay stretched out. My Physios theory is until you've got full ROM back and can start to strengthen, your ligaments, tendons and muscles are inclined to tighten up. I am having a hydrodilitation tomorrow to try and get last bit of range back. Hoping this will stretch out bicep and tricep and put a stop to these horrible cramps. I will still have to push them every day, through the pain till they stay where I want them! Hope this helps and wish u well x

• Posted

I had physio yesterday afternoon with my actual PT (not the PTA that I usually see each session).  She was a little disappointed with my progress and stated that I may only get approx 85% ROM back.  I'm determined to prove her wrong.  I talked with her about the "spasms" in the muscles/tendons/nerves and she told me that I needed to continue stretching and work through the pain.  I feel that when I try to continue stretching once those pains start up, it starts to flare up because with each stretch, the pain intensifies.  She said maybe I tore a muscle in a stretch just because that arm has not had any significant movement in the 6mos before the MUA.  I didn't notice this pain until I took a weekend off from my exercises (I was so busy and just simply forgot to do them) and realized that is a big NO NO.  I was scolded (in a friendly way) by the PTA last week and again by the PT yesterday.  I now know how important it is to keep the stretching going a few times EVERY DAY!  But I am hoping that the arm will eventually remember how it used to be!   :o)

• Posted

Yes the same here I'm afraid  sad  Had mua & bone shaved & a chunk of bone removed last October & needed further mua begining of last December...........muscle wastage is awful & I still have very little strength in my arm, the pain when excersising is unbearable at times sad  Saw consultant about 7weeks ago who gave me a cortisone injection..........said the capsule was still very tight....told me I only had about 75% movement  sad  I was so upset......he said I should continue with physio excersises but couldn't say for certain I would get all my movement back! Since then I have been obsessed with the excersises and dare I say it but my movements are slowly returning!!! There are still things I can't do and sometimes I get pain when my arm is accidently pulled into certain directions........BUT I can do my bra up and shave under my arms!!!! I am determined to regain all range of movements fs is NOT going to win!!!! Keep trying everyday it is a slow process but you will get there I promise! This is my 2nd fs in 3years and this non dominate sidede fs is worse than my other shoulder ........I can say for certain now that I am coming out of this very very long tunnel of awful suffering! Good luck with your journey - it will end I promise! Sending gentle hugs x

• Posted

Thanks so much for the encouraging words!  I was able to do my bra ONCE the other day but then it's tightened back up and I have to work at it to get the arm back there again.  It seems that ROM changes its mind every day.... some days are better than others.  I had appt yesterday with PT and she said I may only get about 85% ROM back.  I'm determined to prove her wrong! 

• Posted

You shouldn't have a frozen shoulder. You most likely have stiffness from not moving the joint. It should last for somewhat less than a year and resolve on it's own. FS is a disease on it's own. Ask your therapist to explain.

• Posted

Having had FS for over 2 years and tried all treatments, physio ++++, manipulation, 2 x hydrodilation so painful had to be stopped.Ultrasound Osteopath. Had to go for last option capsular release can't believe the difference still some pain on exercising but managed with meds. Was done last weds soo pleased can now move my arm almost 100% following exercise, muscles weak but getting easier. So pleased after so long now sleep pain free. Using hot compress before and ice after helps movement discomfort. Wish I 'd had it done sooner.

• Posted

That's great! I clearly have not suffered as long as you have, so I couldn't even imagine 2 yrs of this debilitating and agonizing condition.

One thing I incorporated yesterday b4 exercises was the hit compresses. I always ice afterwards. So I will see if the heat helps warm up the muscles for what's about to go down! These tissues are stubborn, that's for sure! Good luck in your recovery!

• Posted

Forgot to mention only referring to moving arm above shoulder. Still lots of physio work to do re movement particularly backward movement which not poss yet,re bra zips etc. Thanks for your comment hope all goes well for you. (My left arm was frozen 8 years ago not same treatment available outcome not good. Moves now but very weak ) Be great to have both arms moving better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.