Frozen shoulder problem & diabetes mellitus

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, All.

I have been a sufferer of frozen shoulder problem for the past 6 months.

However, I was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus in 2012 having the usual medication.

In view of this, I would like to know if there is any hope of cure for the frozen shoulder.

Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Good morning,

I'm also a Diabetic and going into my secound year with my Frozen Shoulder. From the information I have gathered from doctors and my experiece so far:

-Diabetics have a longer recovery time from FS, the scar tissue is more dense and grows back on many Diabetics if they have the Minipulation Under Anestesia. Therefore, the surgery will be preformed several times. (No thank you.)

-Physical Therapy: So many different opinions from doctors! From my own mistake and also confirmed by my Endocronoligest AND my Orthopedic doctor, do not go to Physical Therapy until you are no longer in pain, otherwise it prolongs the painful stage/takes longer to heal, for Diabetics anyway.  

-Here is what has helped me: Norco-10 and Naproxen (pain killer and anti-inflamatory, hot baths with epsom salts, massage (mostly avoiding the shoulder or very light massage on the FS.), light stretching and the "pendelum arm" excercise, sleeping with a lot of pillows supporting my shoulder, been jucing greens and anti-inflamatory foods, accupuncture worked for a month or so.

Cortizone Joint Injections: Had five so far. The first two helped, but I have been constantly sick with a sinus infections, the flu and colds since all the cortizone injections. Keep in mind that Steroids will dramatically increase your blood sugar (350-400 range), so your body will not be healing while you have high sugar. The doctors push the shots, but I learned to say no, because the doctors literally forget how it affects a Diabetic's blood sugar, decreased my imune system and shuts down the body's ability to heal.

These are just my experiences, may not be yours, but those are some of the most important things I have learned. I hope you feel better, but remember, listen to your body. These doctors have literally admitted to me that they do not know what Frozen Shoulder is or really how to treat it, especially in Diabetics! Just a word of advice, be cautious and do your own research before any procidure or medication.

• Posted

Thanks for the information share your glucose levels if you are comfortable i think sugar level and fs are link to healing time frame
    • Posted

My last A1C is 6.3, what is yours? Been a Type 2 for over twenty years.

I controll with diet, excercise and Metforin. Was on Lantus for only three years, and the thought has crossed my mind that the Lantus contrubuted to FS, but who can be sure. I lost 30lbs and got off of all insulin.

Do you take Lantus? Just curious.

• Posted

Thanks for information no I never took lantus and metformin does not sute me i am on glypizide
    • Posted

Good day.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. Atleast now I know what to avoid.

I was informed about Cortizone injections earlier, but it seems that they are very painful too, hence I did not try it.

I too suffer from sinus infections since childhood - diabetes is only an added bonus.

I tried some ayurvedic medicines, but it did not help.

• Posted

I hope you feel better. That's interesting, you also suffer from sinus infections. It's probably all related somehow. Take care.

Ps. The Cortisone injection is no where near as painful as the Frozen Shoulder condition, but the way the Cortisone effects on the blood sugar is awful. 350+ glucose is not going to help the body heal. At least my experience.

• Posted

Hi

I am in my 9th month since I started developing frozen shoulder i was diagnosed with diabetes 2 type 2013 since then my sugar levels remained on higher side due stress and me mot taking medicine properly as i am afraid of them of there's side effects but i did control my diet extremly since there is some degree of arthritis presence in my joint i was over using my shoulder by picking heavy items regularly thus I developed frozen shoulder thats my personal opinion how I got frozen shoulder as for treatment i did went for acupuncture and cupping but did not help my pain levels is subsiding by putting my hand in shoulder sleve i am not taking those horrible medicine which side effects is ulcer and heart attack i got the door sliding pulley rope and do s mild exercise with that since i have pain i am not going for physical therapy i intend to go when my pain level is down significantly mean while i am trying to keep my sugar level under control and wearing shoulder sleeve to put pressure of wait of the shoulder and later i am exploring to take homeopathic medicne and physical therapy I believe it will be a while to bring my shoulder back to normal however iam using extenernal oinmeny prescribed by my dr but avoiding oral heavy nasid medicine hope this information is of some use for sleeping i am using multiple pillows and taking tumeric powder and milk hot before sleeping thanks

• Posted

Hi what treatment you have done so far
    • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

For diabetes, I am taking metformin 1000mg twice a day. Dr had prescribed Amaryl also to be taken in addition, but I stopped after taking it for 6 months, since it did not have any significant contribution and I got sick of taking too many medicines.

Recently I trying ayurvedic medicines as an additive to metformin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.