Frozen shoulder radiates to back and chest.....

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

About a year ago more of less, I developed shoulder pain that got worse over time. I diagnosed myself with frozen shoulder due to my decreased range of movement. It's painful to take my shirt off and can't lift my arm up sideways. The pain however goes toward the back area of the shoulder affected and the front side of the chest as well. I noticed more of this back and chest pain when I breath in deep or exhale. I wonder if anyone else experiences this radiating pain. In my case the frozen shoulder probably developed because of diabetes which I suspected but confirmed recently with a finger stick. I was just wondering how common is to also have the radiating to chest and back pain? Thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Silvia,

From my understanding the scapula is somewhat "glued" to the ribs so pain in that area is expected. My muscles in my chest and neck get extremely tight which causes pain in both areas as well. I think what you are experiencing is fairly common. I work with a massage therapist that really works those areas and especially my armpits to stretch those muscles back out. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I’m glad to hear it’s part of the issue and not something else!
  • Posted

I also did have those pains. Massage really helped me with that.  I only did massage and stretching exercises at home no PT or doctors and I am almost back to normal after 10 months.  Can do my hair again and undid my bra just yesterday!!
    • Posted

Thank you! That sounds great! I’m glad you’re better! I will work on exercises and massages on my own as well. I’ve been dealing with this condition over a year and it’s getting old.
  • Posted

I've had frozen shoulder since last July. I agree with you, it's getting reallyyy old! Never knew something so innocent sounding could be so debilitating! When my GP told me I had frozen shoulder and it would work itself out eventually, I was actually pleased because I thought I had a rotator cuff tear that needed surgery. Little did I know the long term agony I was about to endure! Wow! I get the pain in my back and chest as well. It feels like it is clamped down or like cellophane shrink wrap is around my shoulder, shoulder blade, my upper arm and chest area! It has had me concerned many times wondering if it's something wrong with my heart! I just keep reminding myself that it will get better and I will be back to my old self. I'm in the frozen stage. I can at least sleep now! I just went to my Orthopedist last week and he told me that I'll notice small changes and realize I can reach the top of my head to shampoo it without pain or open a cabinet without having to compromise my whole shoulder and collarbone. I seriously cannot wait for the day I can move freely again! I'm 50 but feel like I move like a 90 yr old at the moment!  Take care.

• Posted

I just landed on this forum today. I have it in both shoulders and still trying to get a proper diagnoses at the moment. Reading everyone's stories I match it all to a T. Reading your post you said it started in July of that year. How long was it before the true sleepless nights started and how do I know when I start the stage of actual frozen? I am not sure how to handle this pain that awkens me at least 15 times a night. It scares me, I lie there thinking thoughts like is this bone cancer is it me heart. I cant even sit up to adjust the pillows. I grab one arm at a time with the opposite hand and stretch the arm out like I am trying to pull it out from the socket. This is horrible.

• Edited

i have been experiencing the chest and back pain off and on also and worry it may be a heart attack then convince myself it is part of the frozen shoulder. I am just under a year in and still in the freezing stage....can sleep more than 2-3 hrs a night.....so tired and looking forward to getting to the thawing phase. i hit the jackpot ....this is my second frozen shoulder.......only good thing is I know it will eventually stop.

• Posted

I think i i'm having the same case,would you please tell me about the chest pain, how long had you been suffering this ?

• Edited

Any update on the chest pain related to Frozen shoulder from any one participating here is highly appreciated>

• Edited

Mark -- Firstly, welcome to this forum, and secondly, I'm sorry you're at this forum!!! I'm on my second Frozen Shoulder. This one has been substantially easier than my first, but oh yes, I remember the radiating pain. There are several (bad) things happening during Frozen Shoulder: When the adhesions form, they "shrink wrap" the shoulder joint, and pull all those other unsuspecting tendons and muscles along the way into unnatural positions. This can result in many things, from pinched nerves (pain in wrist, hand, neck), muscle spasms along arm and back, and yes, tightness in the chest. It's like a tangled marionette. Hard to predict how each system will be affected. The good news is that it does get better. There's a lot of fantastic advice on this forum, and I attribute the (relative) ease of this second FS to all the information I hoovered up when I had the first one. Lots of vastly different approaches, hard to say which approach is the definitive best, so do your own research and report back your results. I feel strongly about "giving back" to this community, since they helped out so much. Good luck.

• Posted

would you update here on the chest pain with the frozen shoulder?

• Posted

Hello, i have breathlessness in the ribcage . is this a symptom people have felt? also dizzyness without any spinning occasionally and very quick and short. Can anyone relate?

• Posted

i have had frozen shoulder for about 6 months now and just started PT a couple weeks ago. Mine is on the left side and yes i have the pain/soreness in the back of the shoulder and the front to my chest. I have been concerned the pain I was having in the front had something to do with my heart and just yesterday did an ekg and stress test and both were normal. The other symptom I have and I’m hoping it’s related to the frozen shoulder is occasional dizziness/lightheaded when I take a breath or turn my head. Does anyone else experience this and could it be due to the frozen shoulder pressing on nerves maybe in the neck or chest?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.