FROZEN SHOULDER RELIEF in one hour !!!yes!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been suffering from Frozen Shoulder for 8 weeks...I had shoulder surgery and then not long after my surgery( a week or 2) It started. MY phyical Therapist figured it out at week 5 and then doc confirmed it.. So,now on week 3 of total torture visits of excruciating pulling, ripping, you name it. Pain so intense I passed out once and cried through the first few. Now I just go and pray through them. Pain was all day long. Shoulder and muscles..(esp delt and bicep)Hard to sleep, etc.. Just laast week began with radiating nerve pain down whole arm into fingers. This never stopped. So, researching the hell out of it online, just ilke you smile, I realized that I could do much better with the range of motion torture, etc..if my muscles weren't so DAMN tight. Esp the deltoid, bicep, and teres minor, scapular muscles, traps etc. Soooooo, I decided to try a massage BEFORE my visit to torture(physical therapy appt) today. I went to a medical massage therapist and asked her to work on my frozen shoulder issue and all the muscles around it..She could not get over all the knots and tightness. Said worst she has seen in a long time. She worked on me..it was not your basic feel good massage..it was painful at times but nothing like the torture at the therapists(which I am still continuing). The spots she was hitting was so, well, spot on! And when she was through i had NO pain at all , my shoulder felt warm and loose and good! I was able to raise my arm at least 10 inches higher than before i went in. I figured it would make my torture less painful as my appt was in one hour. And it REALLY did help. therapist said he could really tell i was much looser and he could push me harder.Ouch. After therapy, arm was WORN OUT like never before. BUT it is 5 hours later and The nerve pain is at  least 50% better and there is no pain in my shoulder as i sit here typing this.It is slightly sore, and Im not saying it won't come back, but i am telling you, the massage did wonders!!! I scheduled 4 more visits one per week. the $ was worth every penny. I am telling you, go get a massage and make sure it is someone good who has medical knowledge and ask them to work on the shoulder area, neck area and traps and arm for the whole hour, but i would do it RIGHT before your torture visit. Like the same day and not to far apart. So its still loose when you go. Your muscles are so tight which makes the pain so much worse. THIS IS THE ANSWER! good lluck all!

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well two days after my last post, I got kicked in the upper arm by a patient at work (accidentally) and it has sent my shoulder into pain overdrive.  I had an xray and nothing is broken and I started PT yesterday.  The 'evaluation' was agonizing and now I am going again today for some actual therapy.  My sleep has been much worse.  I take the muscle relaxers then wake up when they wear off in agony.  The doctor said it was muscle strain, which it certainly feels that way, but time will tell.  Since this happened at work, I now have a few restrictions and my PT is covered during work hours.  But lack of sleep is driving me nuts. 
    • Posted

Are you kidding me you prror thing!!! Godd God just what you needed. I swear, this frozen shoulder...its ike just when you think things are going good.... 

But on a lighter note, I am on day 12 after MUA and I am doing really well..I am in the home stretch for sure. Thank the Good Lord!!! I am still in pain, but not as bad. I can sleep without pain pills. I still have full range still whe they stretch me. It is not as painful and my doc says by next week i should not have any of the "all-day-long" pain. I will still have some pain when they stretch me, but only then. So, I feel much more optimistic. Got another massage today (my PT is now giving me them before i stretch) it makes all the difference in the world as my scapula and delts are So crazy tight but not as bad as they were. YAY! Good Luck and everyone GET A MASSAGE, what do you have to lose?

• Posted

Oh I forgot to ad that I was injured while trying to do an MRI on a patients shoulder.. isn't that ironic!!  Today's session my PT had to massage the muscles in my neck/shoulder area because one particular treatment caused my muscles to seize up and I was in tears and could not move.  He was shocked and said it wasn't supposed to do that.. Oops well it did!!  Now I am finally at home where I can get drugged up and took enough muscle relaxers to relieve it all for the night.  PT should stand for Physical Torture instead of Physical Therapy.  I want a massage so bad but I am afraid it might hurt worse than whats already going on.  
    • Posted

Hi annie, it wont make it worse, i really don't think. I would give it a go and tell them to work on your neck AND SCAPULAR MUSCLES.I'm telling you it helps. But, had a horrible day today. Thanksgiving day and I am at home.sad Yesterday, a different pt stretched me and really messed me up. I was doing do well, and then she went a totally different direction..which my pt was not doing yet..(over my head at a diagonal) and i told her, i wasn't doing that yet, and she did it anyway. Was up last night crying at 2:30 and then again this morning when I woke. I have been crying all day. My hubby is amazing and there for me through it all. Was able to go theough my stretches with my hubby but really hard today. (its a holiday today so PT is closed for the day)This is the worst i have felt in over two weeks. I know its from what she did yesterday. I want to kill her! 
    • Posted

Hi Beth. I have been reading your posts with interest. I had shoulder surgery four months ago. It was initially meant to be a SAD procedure but I apparently had a 3cm rotator cuff tear.  Surgery was open as opposed to keyhole as the consultant said it would give a better result.  He did not advise wearing the sling afterwards and I quickly achieved full range of movement and even though I was still in considerable pain, this was deemed to be normal.  I followed all of the instructions with physio, again they were pleased with my mobility but the pain wasn't really seen to be an issue.  In addition, and often worse, was elbow pain (I did develop this about a month prior to shoulder surgery) although the consultant said this was co-incidental.  I have now been discharged from consultant and physio but I am yet to have a decent night's sleep.  It is so much worse at night.  I was actually imrproving pain wise during the day, but it appears to me that when the physio was stepped up from stretching to strength exercises, it has become more problematic. I can still lift my arm to the same level of the other one (feels stiff and uncomfortable though) and I agree with you about the massage.  I have had a couple of massages and asked the therapist to concentrate on my shoulder and arm area as well as my neck  I have a swelling above my clavicle but again, no one was concerned about this.  I have also just visited a chinese acupuncturist who also used cupping on both my elbow and shoulder.  I am due to have a further session next week.  She stretched my neck and massaged the whole area and again, I felt relief but it has tightened up today.  At my last physio appointment he told me I can do anything at all now and just need to build up strength, but of course the discomfort especially from the elbow and bicep area is restricting me.  Very much a catch 22 situation.  I had a session in the gym last week with five minutes on the cross trainer and various exercises with a 1 kg weight but I have been paying the price ever since.  I did read on this forum that it can take a year to recover but I honestly thought after four months I would have felt better than this.  All I can think to do at the moment is keep on with the massages as you suggest.  Sorry for the rant.  Pretty fed up at the minute.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.