Frozen Shoulder Scare

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an orthroscopy surgery last Friday for shoulder debridement and subacromial decompression.  At my post-op, the nurse informed me that I also had frozen surgery and they did an MUA.  Had no idea what that was at the time.  A PT order was submitted for me during the post-op visit.  When I got home - I started to read about the frozen surgery condition and found out that it was important to get into PT as soon as possible.  I called the office for the PT appointment and they could only get me in 2 weeks so I found another place.  Started PT today but only scheduled for 2X week.  I can only raise arm unassisted about 20-30 degrees and assisted around 90 degrees.  This is the scariest feeling ever.    Trying to stay optimistic.  Glad I found this forum!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria if you do a search on this page for Frozen Shoulder theres a lot of discussions and information. I'm on my second bought of it and its so painful for about 3 months.

• Posted

Thank you for taking time to respond.  Yes I spent some time last night reading this topic.  Definitely lots of good discussions.  So glad I found it.  How is your FS?  Hope you're on your way to recovery.

My question is regarding work.    Prior to the FS condition - I was given 2 weeks off from work.  It's been a week since surgery and had no significant improvement.  Still limited ROM.  I'm not sure I can go back to work next week.  I definitely cannot even drive.  Are you working ?  Thanks again 

• Posted

Hi Maria I started exercising the day I got home from hospital and had physio 3 times a week I was back at work on light duties 2 weeks after surgery. Through all the physio and exercise every 3 hours I had 80% ROM 3 months after the surgery. You need to keep exercising as much as you can and as much physio as possible or there was no point having the surgery. I was lucky with physio because mine was work cover or I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

• Posted

Hi Maria

sorry to hear of your Frozen shoulder diagnosis. I know exactly what you are going through, due to having both of my shoulders frozen, the left one  was 9 years ago and I had MUA for it which did the job for me. I have now had my right shoulder frozen with Bursitis and impingment for 16 months and on 10th July this year I underwent Arthroscopic capsular release. My PT never started until 11 days after op and have so far only had two sessions. My Physiotherapist did tell me that sometimes these operations do not work so I may require more surgery, as even he admits it is still extremley stiff. I am persevering with my exercises but they do not make much difference? All I can say is to make sure you keep it moving as best you can and get any physio you can. A frozen shoulder is (for me) the most extremley painful thing I have ever experienced and I would rather go through childbirth again than to have had this. I do sympathise with you and anyone who has this condition and I hope you find a cure real soon. Good luck with it all.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking time to respond.  Yes I agree with you that this has to be the most painful and scariest ever as there really is no cure and from what I've read so far, everyone responds differently.

How are you doing now on your right shoulder?  Are you working?  My biggest fear is now getting back to work.   For my initial condition of shoulder impingement and surgery - dr had given me 2 weeks off work.  It's now a week today and I just can't see going back to work in another week.  I basically have a desk job.  

Thank you again!  

• Posted

Hi Maria... AFter my MUA, I had PT 5X that first week, then went down to 3x a week for 6 weeks.  My therapist said that EVERY DAY for the first week is very common, so I am surprised they put you down for only 2x.  I can't stress this enough:  BE VERY FAITHFUL in the stretches/exercises they do with you when you're at home, otherwise the work they do with you @ the session will slowly revserse itself to original state.  I was doing great the first 3 weeks.  In week 4, I skipped the exercises/stretches over the weekend and when I went back in on following Monday, my ROM had somewhat deteriorated and I had discomfort all that week until I was able to get it "stretched" back out again. 

My MUA was in April and I still have difficulties.  I still have to stretch it out daily andI have severe loss of strength.  I have not been faithful in the home "strength building" exercises they gave me upon discharge, so I need to do that.  So do not fret about the "raising the arm unassisted".  Your muscle deteriorates very quickly in the condition you were in.  It'll take time to build that up.  So stay optimistic.  It's a slow recovery, but you'll get there!

• Posted

Thank you Tamara!  I will try to see if I can increase my PT to 3x week.   Thank you for the words of encouragement too.  Are you working?  I don't know what to do about work - I was given 2 weeks off for the initial diagnosis without the FS.   Not sure how to get back to work in a week.  I have a desk job.   Thanks 

• Posted

yes, I have a desk job as well.  My MUA was on a Friday and I was back to work on the following Monday.  The only thing my surgeon recommended was to make sure that my chair was on a very  high level so that when I rested my arm on my desk, that it needed to be more in a down angle to avoid putting tension on the joint.  She also gave me some great stretches to do at my desk. My work was understanding that I needed to break off of work every couple of hours for 10 mins to get my stretches in. 
  • Posted

maria, I would think I would like more than the word of the post op nurse and the word frozen to give you the diagnosis of FS. In fact the diagnosis of subacromial troubles would have been difficult to diagnose if prior to the operation you had FS. If you google both regarding ranges of movement you will see they are I'm sure would be different. Also FS will be made worst by treatment whereas post debread will need treatment. Let us know what your PT thinks and which condition, that is if you have FS she or he will be treating. All I have said is on the web.

• Posted

Thank you for your interest.  Yes the ortho dr diagnosed the FS. I have the med report since I need it to file disability leave.  My physical therapist says it isn't abnormal to have the FS diagnosis during surgery.  I had shoulder impingement since Nov and wasn't moving my arm so much intentionally Bec it was painful to move.    Surgery for subacromial decompression was scheduled in Feb but got cancelled and then didn't get to reschedule it until it became too painful .  But I had no idea by not moving it would cause to freeze.  Wish they had warned me.  But all hindsight now.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.