Frozen Shoulder Second Time Around

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am so thankful to have found this forum. I am suffering from frozen shoulder for the second time. The first time it occurred in my left shoulder, which is my non-dominant side. Now two years later, I have it in the right shoulder which is my dominant side. My orthopedic doctor has said that it is very rare to experience frozen shoulder two times. When I went to him with the right shoulder, he did not think it could be frozen shoulder again. I am now one week away from my follow-up visit with him, and I have no doubt that it is indeed frozen shoulder again. I am so frustrated with This painful disorder and I would love to hear from any of you who have had to deal with this more than once. It is so helpful to have the thoughts and opinions from others who have been through the same painful condition.

My first occurrence started just before I turn 50. Now the second occurrence happens just after I turned 52. I'm wondering if most of you are male or female and at what age did you start experiencing these problems. I have had no previous injuries nor am I a diabetic . I cannot understand why this condition is recovering again when I have no predisposition towards it that I am aware of.

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, how's your shoulder now? I have had frozen shoulder on my right side ( right handed) for over 2 years. Nine months ago I had surgery for a torn bicep and the surgeon cleaned out the damage from the frozen shoulder, unfortunately over the two months I had a my arm in a sling the frozen shoulder returned with a vengeance ! I have since had two tries with cortisone and two months ago had hydrodilatation. This helped marginally but I am still in a lot of pain , not sure where to go now .....

Hope you are better!

• Posted

I'm so glad to have found these comments. I too am on my second bout of FS on same non dominant side but with pain on other side as well. It keeps me from sleeping and feeling like a human. I'm 53, and a formerly active woman. Now I find myself to be somewhat reclusive but for my long walks where I try to swing my arms per my PT's advice. I'm going to my MD later this month to see if I have any underlying causes such as diabetes or thyroid but I was tested for RA and Lyme already. In my opinion the night and morning are my worst, I'm looking for some relief desperately but haven't had any pain meds after I had the steroid injection the first time. I'm hoping it doesn't lead to that this time.

• Posted

Hi MKAT,

I understand your pain and frustration -- FS is just awful.  I am glad to tell you that my second FS has cleared up.  It's amazing how debilitiating a FS can be and how little our Dr's are able to do for us.  

For the second FS, I didn't see the PT or do all those recommended, painful exercises.  I decided to get a massage targeted to the FS every other week at the recommendation of a friend who had been through this.   It worked!  The massages relieved the pain for almost a week and I was able to sleep.  I most likely should of had the massages weekly, but I had to pay out-of-pocket for them and was trying to economize.  

The FS cleared after about three months of massages -- I stopped using the tramadol after the first month.  I also used heat packs instead of the cold packs that the PT recommended and these seemed to work much better and relived the pain.

Best of luck to you!!!

• Posted

Wow! It's unbelievable how many people on this site are experiencing frozen shoulder for the second time. I had my first frozen shoulder 4 years ago. I was 50 at the time and it happened post-op. Lucky for me, it only lasted 7 months. I am now into my 5th month of FS on the other shoulder which I injured at the gym. I am finally to the point where I no longer have the throbbing pain in my bicep and forearm area. I wish I would have kept a journal the first time around so that I could compare my progress. Cortisone shots did nothing for me. I don't remember physical therapy having much of an impact the first time but it really seems to help this time around. I could use pain pills at night to help me sleep through the night, but the doctor won't prescribe any since this is a long term illness and there is a risk of addiction. I certainly empathize with anyone experiencing this. There have been many days that I just wanted to die because the pain was unbearable. I am so glad that I found this site and that others are experiencing the exact same issues. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks Jo, I'm going to see about more massages in my therapy. I appreciate your comments!

• Posted

FS never returnes to a shoulder that has already suffered from it . Of course it is possible that your first was not a FS and your second is. Or vice versa.
    • Posted

It is not that uncommon as you say about a second FS in the opposite shoulder but never in the same one. The gym injury is not a frozen shoulder as a FS is a disease unto its self and is genetic from our Scandinavian ancestors. Everyone with a true FS shoulder should examine the palms of their hands at the base of the ring finger as the same gene gives you Dupuytrens contractures.
    • Posted

Having FS in the same shoulder is actually not uncommon. It comes from our natural and innate need to "guard" our bodies-physicians and PT's use and recognize this behavior. I didn't realize I was holding my injured arm differently for fear of reinjury and I unintentionally tightened my soft tissues. And the cycle began quickly.

Today I tried Gua Sha and I feel hopeful it may help. Upon discussion I started to think that the PT exercises were not helping my injured tissue, rather helping strengthen others. I feel as though I have to work on the injured ones first. Fingers crossed, for all.

• Posted

The medical scientists would be surprised that FS would repeat. Do you have the name of any publications or scientific reviews showing this.
    • Posted

Going through the same thing and on the 4th or 5th month of the second shoulder! The one good thing about this site is that I don't feel like such a baby after hearing everyone else's story. Sometimes it hurts so much I feel like crying. Good luck to you on a quick recovery!

• Posted

The saga continues. I'm 54 and am 3 mos into my first FS. What a complete and total pain in the a$$ this is!  The only good thing is hearing that so many people out there understand exactly what it's like. Next week I'm flying to Canada for the "Trigenics" treatment which promises to unfreeze my shoulder in a 40 minute session. It appears to be legit and I'm tried of the pain. Check out 'trigenics frozen shoulder'.  It sort of like MUA but different in a few key ways.

• Posted

I have been doing a lot of reading about trigenics, and have been interested in looking into it further. Are you also in the United States? Were you able to get any insurance coverage for it or are you paying out-of-pocket? Would you be willing to share the cost of this treatment? I will really be looking forward to hearing about your experience with this if you would be so kind as to post again. I am at my wit's end with this like so many others.

• Posted

I am dealing with my second FS and researched trigenics and found a chiropractor/PT that has been trained in it. My first meeting he told me I was probably too far along for it to work (I can’t reach behind my back). I went 6 times with no relief. Very frustrating 

• Posted

I had it in my left arm the next time my right arm. I have now got it back in my left arm xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.