Frozen Shoulder Second Time Around

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am so thankful to have found this forum. I am suffering from frozen shoulder for the second time. The first time it occurred in my left shoulder, which is my non-dominant side. Now two years later, I have it in the right shoulder which is my dominant side. My orthopedic doctor has said that it is very rare to experience frozen shoulder two times. When I went to him with the right shoulder, he did not think it could be frozen shoulder again. I am now one week away from my follow-up visit with him, and I have no doubt that it is indeed frozen shoulder again. I am so frustrated with This painful disorder and I would love to hear from any of you who have had to deal with this more than once. It is so helpful to have the thoughts and opinions from others who have been through the same painful condition.

My first occurrence started just before I turn 50. Now the second occurrence happens just after I turned 52. I'm wondering if most of you are male or female and at what age did you start experiencing these problems. I have had no previous injuries nor am I a diabetic . I cannot understand why this condition is recovering again when I have no predisposition towards it that I am aware of.

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I’m thankful for this forum. I’m 49 & experienced 1st fs  3 years ago, left, non dominant shoulder. Now I feel it coming to my right, dominant shoulder. I don’t have diabetes or thyroid condition & have been pole dancing these past 2 1/2 years. I am so upset that this is happening again, and can’t seem to figure out a way to stop it. Has anyone heard of trigenics ? I live in Sydney, Australia.

• Posted

I hope you get this as it has been some time since your post. Totally understand your frustration. I had a frozen shoulder on my non dominant side first and then almost exactly a year later the same thing happened again on my right shoulder. I went through two MUA’s several steroid shots you name it. After months of physical therapy I have almost complete range of motion. However I still do not have an answer as to why this happened.
  • Posted

I am on my second frozen shoulder, the left is 11 months in and the right about 6 weeks. I am a very healthy 63 year young woman with absolutely no idea why this is happening.  Again.

I read a great blog about doing nothing and it will resolve on its own.  I have found that for me Physical Therapy only aggravates it.  My 11 month old FS has gone past the pain stage after about 3 months, now is only painful if I really overuse it (which I have done a bit since now the right is frozen) so I am mindful to rest it and to ask my partner for help with pretty much everything.  I still have quite limited ROM but better than the beginning and steadily improving, the pain going away is the most important thing to me!

I have found a great natural pain reliever called Akuamma that I purchase in capsules and it is the best pain reliever I have found!  I occasionally take a tylenol or two. I declined any prescription pain meds whatsoever as they scare me.

I have decided to do nothing, that seems to work the best for me.  I don't do any exercises at all, I just use my arms as naturally as I can to the point of pain.  I do walk for about 20 minutes every day.  I meditate and visualize and talk to my shoulders.  I am very pleased that 11 months into my first FS I have very little pain and improved mobility.  

I have read tons of comments on this forum, and it appears that it is very common to get FS in both shoulders.  It is a bummer that I have them at the same time, I think that may be less common.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi CynCash,

I fell very bad for you that you are having the second FS during your first FS -- I thought to deal with one at a time was hard . . .  this has got to be so draining and debilitating for you.   The good news is the FS will eventually resolve, so do what it takes to make yourself as comfortable as possible while you wait.  Ditching PT for my second FS didn't seem to harm me at all and I am glad I didn't put myself through the agony.   

Wishing you the best and a quick recovery!

• Posted

hi thats nothing had op on left shoulder a 2 months later its refrozen a now right side too.which tryed injections not work then hydro distillation done.didnt work a when went to see doc after op he turn round a say well youll have to live with them a discharge me.im like great probs with hip from a baby a needs replacing how you ment use walking sticks with two frozen shoulders.a all i get all time is because your diabetic for everything

• Posted

Hi

I'm also into my second frozen shoulder after having one in my right shoulder for 2 years. its been about 6 weeks since its started in my left shoulder and my doctor was trying to tell me it was fs I've had a video call with physio and they have told me it's definitely fs. I've asked to be referred to the Royal orthopaedic again as I really want to have a guided injection I just don't think I can go through all that pain again any suggestions on how to cope a second time. I do agree the second time you know what to expect but it's the pain I'm really worried about the pain. the first time it effected my mental health and I'm scared. I might start tramadol just a night as it's now waking me up at night. Good luck everyone who is struggling please keep in touch

• Posted

I can understand why you're so scared. I've only been suffering a matter of a few weeks and I've had more than enough of it already. Having this pain for two years doesn't bear thinking about. I can barely function right now. Even typing this is a chore. Good luck and I hope it's not as bad for you this time.

• Posted

Like you I've come on here because of frozen shoulder. I was off work two years ago with it, although it wasn't as bad and didn't get a proper diagnosis as GP's are a bit rubbish and referals take forever. On that occasion it lasted about 3 months at it's worst, I was 57 then. This time the pain is much worse and not confined to one area of my shoulder. I saw the Dr last week and she said it was likely to be frozen shoulder, it's the worst pain i've ever experienced. If I had the money I'd definitely seek private help. At least I've found people who are going through the same thing as me.

• Posted

This is my first time on here and so glad to have found it. I first had this problem two years ago when I was 57 although I did get odd twinges before that when carrying a shoulder bag. I've always done physical work either in shops, cafes or horticulture, and apart from lower back pain from time to time I've been fine. The first time I had the shoulder pain proper I didn't get a proper diagnosis as GP was a bit rubbish. Fortunately the pain was only in one area at the back of my shoulder blade and slowly went away after three months or so. This time it's much worse, the worst pain i've ever experienced. Finally saw lady GP this time after my appointment was cancelled from previous week. She said it was frozen shoulder and I'm now awaiting xrays. They don't do things in a hurry so in the meantime I'm doped up on Zapain which isn't doing much to help.

• Posted

hello.

I started with frozen shoulder/left at the beginning of February 2022 . I am not diabetic, nor did I experience and trauma in the shoulder. I did have a covid booster in that shoulder shortly before it started. I wondered if that trigger some kind of immune response that caused the FS. I was doing really well without any PT, I'm at the 8 month mark, and then out of the blue, it has returned and I'm back where I was when it all started. I am very frustrated and saddened by this as I'm a massage therapist and have been unable to work.

I came her to see if I could find some answers but it seems there really are none. just common experience.

• Posted

hi susan

yes sorry for your Woes.

mmm type 1 frozen shoulder just comes on. type 2 injury related. i have herd a few reports on post covid frozen joint.

the injection should be in the deltoid muscle kind of area. seems some hit the capsule area and sets off a frozen episode.

as you have read there is no real cure. we just share tips on dulling the pain and trying to beat this horrid thing.

trying to ride out the problem. taking pain relief and living with the ache issues.

no matter what direction you take it seems its just a time thing. like you it really got in the way of work.

read all the posts and tips its really a support place where you can vent as no one can appreciate how the ache affects you. and no matter what you do ( i have thrown the kitchen sink at my shoulders) its a long road with sleepless nights.

good luck and if need be have a rant at the pain / ache with us

colin

• Posted

Hi fellow second-timers,

The first time around, frozen shoulder symptoms started in my dominant (left) side around mid 2015 and the pain & severity was at its worst in July & August 2016. There is still some limited movement still now (Jan 2023) but there is no pain on that side anymore.

Around the end of last year, I started to notice the same initial conditions in the right arm. I really wanted it to be something else but the pain has set in & the range of movement is decreasing quite fast. At the moment I can still reach up with both hands (ie to shampoo my hair or to take something from a cupboard shelf at or slightly above head level) but I help my right arm down by supporting it with the left. I am scared it will become debilitating like last time. I think in some respects the second time is worse because you know how long it takes to heal naturally.

The first time I chose to not take any medication or have any steroid injections. I did ask the shoulder expert at my doctor's surgery if he would explain about saline injections as this had been mentioned to me by a family member who is a physiotherapist but the doctor said he didn't know anything about it & was clearly unprepared to research the option further.

Things I did the first time which helped to decrease the pain:

-Acupuncture,

-Cupping,

-Eating plenty of anti-inflammatory foods,

-Massaging hot chilli rub into my arm & shoulder,

-Glucosamine supplements (the results from this were particularly good)

-Swimming - the best range of movement was in water

-Yoga, stretching & workouts to increase mobility & strength in the arm & shoulder

-Lots of patience & some self care.

This time I think the condition has accelerated more quickly. I am doing the following so far:

-Started taking Vitamin D supplements (esp. as it's winter time)

-Bowen therapy - THIS IS INTERESTING - MY BOWEN PRACTITIONER HAS SAID THAT THE REASON FROZEN SHOULDER REPEATS ON THE OTHER SIDE IS BECAUSE THE BODY IS ATTEMPTING TO ALIGN ITSELF AND SO THE SECOND SHOULDER WANTS TO MIRROR AND GET INTO ALIGNMENT WITH THE FIRST - THIS IS THE CASE FOR ME BECAUSE I STILL DON'T HAVE A FULL RANGE OF MOVEMENT ON THE LEFT. THEREFORE THE BOWEN THERAPIST BELIEVES SHE NEEDS TO WORK ON THE LEFT PREDOMINANTLY TO INCREASE THE RANGE OF MOVEMENT ON THAT SIDE.

I shall keep you all posted regarding whether the Bowen therapy works to 'unfreeze' my right shoulder & increase movement in my previously frozen left one. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

hi rose.

welcome to the double club lol.

yup second time around sucks, you know all what's coming up. makes you all warm and fuzzy doesn't it.

Bowen idea that a new one on me. you have to post it as it goes as i just may help some poor sole.

i opted for lots of jabs and full capsule removal . na still did not help much overall .

opened pandoras box with the joint. will be interesting to see how you go .

colin

• Posted

I had my right side frozen shoulder surgically broken loose a couple months ago and it seems to be recurring! I had my left shoulder surgically manipulated the same way, same doc 5 years ago. I can't understand why this is recurring and it is miserable. It is so hard to get in any position to sleep comfortably. Anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

• Posted

Hi Slooky

your not feeling the love are ya. relentless isn't it.

did you have MUA to both joints when you say surgically broken. that's the harsh way to do it.

do you realise the body does its best to re - scar the joint back to how it was pre operation.

i was told 4-6 weeks post op is the most intense time and the most painful time as the body tries to lay new scar tissue down over the released scars.

i had to work my cotton socks off for 16 weeks to stop this happening. its harsh and brutal.

colin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.