Frozen Shoulder, the pain!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I’ve just been diagnosed with FS. Been referred to physio although I can’t see what difference that will make. Have downloaded some exercises on line. 

The pain when it’s bad is like nothing else I’ve ever experienced!

what has everyone else done for pain relief? I’m taking codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen. 

How long should I wait before asking for steroid injections? ( if at all)

Thanks for reading! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The earlier the better for injections. And try to inquire about hydrodilation, not just a regular cortisone injection. 3 days after mine and I'm 99% pain free.

• Posted

I agree with sarah, the sooner the better, I had some relief in 2 days, I was pain free after about 2 weeks, although it only lasted about 2 months.
    • Posted

Hi can i ask did you experience alot of pain in your arm, hand and shoulder after the injection? I had my injection on tuesday and at the moment regretting having it. Thanks
    • Posted

No my pain wasn't any worse after the shot. The shot doesn't work for everyone, have spoke to several people that it made no difference. Hope you get some relief.

• Posted

Kate do you mean for a regular cortisone injection, or hydrodilation?  In my experience, the cortisone injection didn't hurt after, but hydrodilation (more invasive, but done under local anesthesia) did hurt quite a bit down my arm the next day.

• Posted

Exercise is very important. From what I have been reading. FS sets in more quickly and more intensely if you don’t keep the shoulder active.

My own doctor gave me two cortisone shots 5 months apart, but never told me to exercise the shoulder. This January I went on my own to a physio and she was shocked that he hadn’t been referred me to physio. She said that early physio would have spared me the worst symptoms.

I find nothing really helps with the pain. Codeine, Tramacet were a waste of time and only having something to help me get to sleep worked. 

Daytime pain was minimal, except when reaching up, or trying to place my hand behind my back. Night time pain set in within an hour in bed and was intense. For me it was every bit as bad as the kidney stone pain I had a few years ago.

What I now realize is that a lot of what I went through could have at the least been lessened or minimized had I been given the right advice.

I wish my doctor had told me to exercise the shoulder as I was trying to protect it.

My advice is to do the exercises they may be painful, but they may well prevent things getting even worse.

• Posted

Coffeecup,

I feel your pain - or, I have felt your pain!  I was diagnosed with FS in November, and from what I've read here, my course has thankfully been less severe than some others'.  I haven't had any injections, but pain has been moderate to severe with certain movements (especially reaching my hand up my back.  I've been doing the physio regularly for the past 3 months, twice per week, and I have to say that it's helped IMMENSELY.  I also do the stretches at home.  The first few weeks of physio were quite painful, but I learned from other FS patients at the physio that this was to be expected.   I felt very discouraged at first, and it's still frustrating that it takes SO LONG to recover from FS.  I asked my physical therapist and orthopedist why, and neither had a good explanation.  I'm a fit and very physically active person, so it's been humbling to deal with something that is so slow going.  Now, over 3 months in, I would say that I'm at least 75% better, with much reduced pain, and greatly increased range of motion.  

Stay with it - it WILL get better!

Lisa M

• Posted

Thank you all very much, appreciated. 

Knowledge gives power. 

What about swimming? Anyone think that will help or hinder?

i did the hot cold packs today but appear to have either burnt or frozen my skin ! 

Big red mark. Combining painkillers so far seems to work best. Have been referred to physio both through GP and work ( am a midwife, kind of need my shoulder), will see which one comes through fastest. Gp barely looked at my shoulder, bit useless. Glad to know I’m not alone

• Posted

I love doing breaststroke at the pool, it feels really good for me.  I don't have nearly enough ROM to do any other stroke.  Don't do anything that feels bad!!

• Posted

I had physio, took the same pain medication,  no help for me. Go to your GP  now.and ask for a steroid injection  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.