Frozen shoulder update

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, after 8 months of fs, MUA and arthroscopy, I am finally going back to work on Monday. Bit nervous but my 6 months off are up and I must go back on phased return.

Fortunately my shoulder is about 85% back to normal, still twinges every now and again and I still cant sleep on the right side, but compared with how I was 8 months ago, its fine. Last week I even did my bra up all by myself. Ladies you know what I mean, I was so excited!

I've been working at my own pace and doing the physio when I can. I found listening to my own body and not pushing past the pain worked best for me.

I hope that everyone elses shoulder improve and I can confirm that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That's reassuring! I am going in for a MUA and arthroscopic capsular release on Tuesday. I have been frozen since rotator cuff surgery in February. I Dan wait to be able to put my hair in a ponytail without difficulty and pain! I hope my surgery is as successful as yours!

• Posted

*can't wait (stupid auto correct) 😉
    • Posted

I hope it all goes well for you. i had to cut my long hair because of the ponytail issue, now looking forward to growing it again.
  • Posted

That is good news for you. I have been off since January and due to return to workearly sept. I have asked for a better chair and my desk to be assessed, and a phased return. My company are not interested in any of this. Did you request the phased return or was this something that your GP requested for you. If it was the GP did you have to have this in writing? Just as my desk and chair are, I know I will be in pain in no time. Good Luck on your return. smile

• Posted

I work for the NHS and phased return is standard after long term sick, 3 days this week, 3 days the week after, not 9-5 either, then re evaluate. I have told my manager in very small words what my capabilities will be and I'm still under the physio.

On the sick forms there is a bit for the gp to put phased return, I have also been to occupational health who worked it out with me and was very supportive.

Hope your company turn out to be more supportive when you go back.

• Posted

I have been off work for 6 months following shoukder surgery , shoulder now frozen and waiting for surgery in September ! I too work for NHS and indeed original injury happened at work I can't see me being back this side of Christmas but I too will return on some type of phased return ! It will be interesting to see how we cope 😊
  • Posted

hi, I tried physio, deep tissue massage, stretching with some relief. One day I woke up with my shoulder completely frozen and in so much throbbing pain. I contacted an osteopath who tried stretching my arm out.  she refered me to a well reknown chiropractor in Canada who specializes in shock wave therapy.  I was desperate so I went. He has a three point program- yes, expensive and not covered- but you are an important investment. he was willing to give %10 off if paying for two sessions at a time. I'm on session 6 after the past 3 weeks.  $75 a time otherwise.  

Sessions last about 15 minutes.  time breakdown consists of- 10 minutes of acupuncture, 5 minutes of intense shock wave therapy which is suppose to break down the scar tissue and encourage the area to start healing again- do not take an anti-inflamatory- and then manipulation and stretching.  First few appointments I was in so much pain.  I declined pain killers bc of the type of work I am in.  I found extra strength tylonel thank goodness worked and the topical Bell roll on pepper cream joint relief worked at night with heat.  I had to practice hanging my arm and swinging it and creeping my hand up a wall.  I could not do either as my arm felt stuck in several places.  Throbbing pain stopped and mild aching only.  Third and fourth session started to be able to reach my arm up and out.  Now on 6th, still some aching bc of some postural issues- almost full movement in arm.  Was recommended to take some joint lubricant - one type has shellfish so I couldn't take it bc of an allergy- I will start taking it tomorrow.  I was told to avoid a cortesone shot as it just masks problem and does not treat actual problem.  I am hoping that this therapy continues to be successful and is not as frequent. I would recommend the investment as it apparently cuts the recovery time in half and helps with the ability to unfreeze shoulder much sooner. I wanted to share bc I did not see much on this.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.