Frozen shoulder with additional nerve pain?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with frozen shoulder but have some movement returned. GP now says He thinks I have nerve pain and treating with pain killers. Can I get Hydrodilation on NHS and how long would Imhave to wait. Desperate! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm really sorry you're in such pain. I think you would need to be referred by a consultant to a radiologist to perform hydrodilation at an NHS hospital. I know other people posting here have had it done by other health care professionals but don't think that is on the NHS. However, I'm no expert - just a patient.Have you asked your GP about this? An orthopaedic person would be able to advise you whether this procedure would help with your pain or whether you would be better seeing a Physio. I hope you find someone to help you.

• Posted

I had terribly pain under my scapula along with shooting pains. My consultant said there were no pain killers that helped with FS. Privately how much is hydrodilitation....an MUA is more at 2000 pounds. Hopefully u get a NHS reply. My doctor sent me in the wrong direction. A scan said I had bursitis. FS can be a short or long job. I personally gave up at 4 months with no sleep.....keep fighting for an emergency appointment. Chase the hospital. Make a gentle nuisance of yrself. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Elainescribens9:

It's disappointing that your consultant was not willing to work with you on painkillers. It's just not true what he is saying, as pain management is a very good area of medicine. It's possible that you were not able to take some things, of course.

FS is a short-term 'disease' even though it feels like it's never going to end. Sleep deprivation has a lot to do with that. Narcotics are very effective to lock onto pain, when given in the correct dose to match the pain receptors in your body. (Narcotics & pain receptors work together like two gears - when you have them in sync, you will have relief & no addictions.) 

I used long-acting codeine with regular codeine for breakthrough pain & only needed it for a few months during the worst part - freezing. The dosages are very 'adjustable' to your level of pain.  I also used Diclofenac gel on my shoulder as an anti-inflammatory, and either heat or ice for achiness or burning. And a family member learned to give good, targeted shoulder rubs. Yes! I stopped aggressive physio after a few appts in the thick of freezing, and began with gentle physio instead once thawing. A latex foam velcroed over the shoulder strap in the car is still great. Cortisone shots have been helpful since thawing & hopefully will work preventatively on my second shoulder now. 

I hope you healed well, and I hope others here will be encouraged that pain management is possible!

You're right - rattle on doors & be informed before dealing with your medical team. Most of them haven't a clue about FS, or appreciate its horrific effects like those of us who have had it.

Liane smile

• Posted

Hi i had hydrodilation done by a consultant radiologist, its also called hydrodistension. The consultant radiologist i see does my guided cortisones as well. He said it isxa relatively new procedure and replacing the MUA. I had it done in February of this year at a private hospital on the NHS. I had my hopes pinned on this working but i couldnt tolerate it. He dilated the joint 2mm out of 5mm and had to take the needle out.i think it depends how bad your joint is with scar tissue and inflammation. I ended up with surgery andcall was fabulous for 6 weeks and it came back. Inflammation although i had good movement to the front and side not good to the rear the pain was awful.So i had an ultrasound and guidedcortisone
    • Posted

Hi Karen..ive got the same problem. Consultant is suggesting anthroscopy if it doesn't improve....up the back movement. .im not having more surgery...restarted the gym. No.pain. There is a small improvement. As physio said it's like chipping away at a marble statue....little by little ....

• Posted

I was lucky enough to have access to BUPA via my husband's job and had my hydrodilatation done privately with little waiting.  For me, it was the best thing I could have done and I was pain free after 2 days, though full ROM took some time after.  I know the consultant I saw does some NHS work too but am not sure whether this includes hydrodilatation.  As even physio had a 3 month waiting list on the NHS, I'm not sure how long you'd need to wait, if it was available.  Best to speak to your GP to find if he knows any local consultants which may do this.

If you go privately, the procedures costs hundreds, rather than thousands of pounds - it doesn't require a general anaesthetic or overnight stay and can be done pretty quickly.  I had an initial consultation which included an ultrasound and the procedure was arranged within a week or so.  The actual procedure took about 15 minurtes and there was a follow up 6 weeks later.  Obviously not everyone can afford to go privately but if you can, it might be worth it to get seen quickly.  As it isn't life threatening, the NHS waiting lists aren't quick - being in pain isn't seen as a priority!

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.