Fruit cold after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Happy New Year Everyone,

I had a TKR May 27, 2016. Took my time with recovery, had a Great great Team of Dr's & PT. Now that the weather is 12 degrees ALL DAY (literally) my knees (both) ache SOOO MUCH.

I am working FT, walk 1 mile to & from my car to get to my job, walk up & down steps at work daily.

I will need a TKR for the other knee sooner than later.

Does anyone have any suggestions about minimizing the pain. Especially at night when I'm trying to rest? I've seems to help but not right away. Back to taking meds at night, which I don't like, but it's NECESSARY. Helppppp🤔

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

MOVE!!!  No really.  I had a hip replacement in 2009 while I lived in Jersey.  After one winter, I was gone...live outside of Fort Worth, TX now.  Metal and cold don't go well together...and there's nothing you can do about it except stay in your heated home from November until April.  Now that I have a new knee plus a fused back, there is zero chance of moving back north.

Sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Get your doc to write an RX for Voltaren Gel.  Second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Stay warm...

• Posted

You're far enough out that some form of heat like a heating pad or cream might help. Massage lightly with some form of Arnica and wrap with light weight fleece throw. Cole weather, especially cold damp weather is brutal. Glad to hear you made such good progress otherwise.

• Posted

I'm only 7 weeks out but I did find that 5 mg of Vicodin at bedtime worked for me. It takes about an hour to kick in but then I get four or five hours of sleep before it wears off. Last night, I woke up at 2 and took Tylenol and went back to sleep till 5. I was taking Aleve before but discovered it caused me to get complete body chills.

BTW, -5 here in Central Massachusetts last night. Wood stove is cranking.

• Posted

Hi. It's a very cold winter on the east coast and here in northern va. My knee replacement was Oct 3 (and hip replacement feb 12, 2016). I walk my dog, in the cold, twice a day - at least. I take 2 Tylenol PM to help me sleep.

I'm pretty much pain free but do get quite stiff. My leg exercises help but a few of the exercises I do frequently throughout the day to help release the stiffness. i wear extra warm pants, sweats, etc when I go outside and sit under a blanket in the house. I find moving, even if it's just walking a bit in the house, helps release some of the stiffness.

Each person is different and the cold weather can chill right to the bone, not only replacements but all forms of arthritis. Keep up with your daily exercises and wear warm pants. Bad weather, either cold or rain, can defintely trigger the internal weather vane. If you can't move to a warmer climate, as most of us can't, protect your joints, try exercise over pain meds but take the meds, if needed.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.