Fruits to treat UTI

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. May I just ask something, I am doing this research about what good and mot good for us who are suffering UTI. 

Found out that some says grapes, pineapple, apple, lemon are not good. But some article says its good to treat infection. 

Do you have any idea with this? Or what should I follow. Its confusing, yeah I know I am suffering from infection thats why I am researching . smile 

Thank you for response! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There is a lot of disinformation on the net about cranberries being good for UTI - they are NOT good... they assist the bacteria to proliferate as they have a sugar .... if you want to read more about Cranberries I recommend reading the Research page on a website - https://www.waterfall-d-mannose.com/dmannose-options.html

*** Keeping the urine Alkaline Is The Most important factor during a UTI and in fact as a ongoing way of life...

ANY foods that keep bladder and urine alkaline is what is best to eat.

You can research easily on the net - *** alkaline foods. Also, if buying these foods is an issue - using Bicarcarbonate of Soda and using in small quantities in water throughout the day is also v helpful for changing an acidic bladder environment to an alkaline one, especially as an emergency situation.  It is possible to buy urine sample strips to test yourself for how acidic your urine is ...can be quite surprising how non alkaline we are are.

You can also research the importance of body alkaline v body acidic. Like everything, there is a balance...all our bodies are individual, so just have to find  balance for your body.

• Posted

I can only talk about my own experiences, Paula. After 18 months of recurrent UTIs, I started a new regime as follows:

I stopped wine, caffeine and chocolate from my diet

I take a low-dose antibiotic at night, cranberry concentrated tablets and D-Mannose

I am sure, as a direct result, I have been free of UTIs for 2 months which is a record.

I will start to reintroduce/stop some of these things but I doubt I will go back on caffeine or wine and will definitely never stop the magical D-Mannose.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I humbly suggest you never stop cranberry either.  Magical D-mannose works by breaking down the bio-film that E.coli colonies secrete to protect themselves (very effectively) from attack by antibiotic agents.  Once you've got rid of the colonies (assuming that you do!), cranberry works by preventing new bugs from clinging to the bladder wall.  Once you've got your bladder lining back to good health it should be able to resist most things and the cranberry juice reinforces the resistance.  If you move off tablets to juice make sure it's got a high level of actual cranberry content. The supermarket own brands are usually only 10% juice whereas the market leader (with ocean in the name) and a well known German supermarket beginning with L both have 27% or thereabouts (don't know about the one beginning with A!).

Well done for being free for 2 months.  I used to get one just about every month for over a year (many years ago) and I honestly can't say why they stopped except that I changed jobs from an office to van driving!  Maybe the extra activity helped, or not sharing 2 loos with 12 other girls, I'll never know.  I do have cranberry every day - just in case!

• Posted

Thanks a lot, Miriam. I will take your advice, definitely. The cranberry concentrated tablets are easy to take, so I will keep up with them.
  • Posted

Hi Paula,

My husband has an indwelling catheter so has had many UTIs in the last few years.  One thing I've learned is that the bugs like to make the urine alkaline so it helps to keep them under control by trying to keep it fairly acidic. He was actually advised by a nurse to drink plenty of acidulated water (lots of lemon juice in it) but then our doctor said a better way was to have plenty of Vit C throughout the day to keep the acid levels up.  He takes 500mg 4 times a day and that seems to work.

See my reply here to Chris re cranberry juice and D-mannose.  Cranberry is also acidic.

Hope this helps, and well done for doing your own research.  There are many threads here on this topic so hope you've found time to have a scroll through them all! 

• Posted

Foods you can eat to prevent UTI

1.Avoid foods and drinks rich in sugar. Reduce the intake of  sugar, soft drinks, concentrated sweet fruit drinks, coffee and alcoholic beverages.

2.Other foods to avoid are processed foods, spicy foods, fats, dairy products, red meats and shellfish. These foods are acid-forming (not to be mistaken with acid tasting food like the citrus fruits). Acidity formed from these foods increase the bacterial infection.

3.Eat fermented foods  yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, sourdough breads and apple cider vinegar.

4.Drink juices high in vitamin C especially grapefruit.

5.Eat foods high in vitamin A .

6.Foods high in zinc may also help by producing white blood cells and eliminating bacteria. Some of the best sources of zinc are oysters, ginger, beef liver, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, egg yolks, peanuts, oats, almonds.

7.Drink cranberry juice.

Drink a glass of fresh cranberry or blueberry juice first thing in the morning and wait at least half an hour before you have something to eat. This drink is helpful for prevention of UTI.

Patric James

http://astermedcity.com/CentresOfExcellence/NephrologyAndUrology/C58/nephrology-urology 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.