Frustrated!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am 50 and 12 weeks post op. I have been recovering well with odd backwards step but am glad I had my knee done as no arthritic pain. However as I try to do slightly more round the house or walk or even when I get of the static bike my knee gets stiff, really stiff to the point were I could sit and cry. I can walk half a mile which I have been able to do since week 6 but cannot extend this any further without discomfort and stiffness. I am still doing all physio exercises 3 times a day and static bike 20 mins  once a day. I don't feel I am doing too much but am getting quite concerned as to why it is getting stiffer after exercise. Has anyone any experience in this? Thank you Sue

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes!!! I am in the exact same boat...mind you i am only at six weeks post op but the same thing happens to me! I am 51 and only had a partial knee replacement but wow it gets sooooo stiff after exercise! Why???
    • Posted

It seems to be another one of the things we are not told about on this long but worthwhile journey,
  • Posted

I just turned 52 and am 10 weeks post op. I went back to work part time last week, full time this week. I have the same frustrating stiffness. I am able to elevate my knee at work and stand up to stretch but by the end of the day it feels so tight, no pain though. I rode my stationary bike last night for 10 minutes and it did feel a little better. I guess we need some patience, it is hard though.
    • Posted

I think I am going to have to keep being patient, I am back to work next week but am on my feet all day in a school with only 30 min break out of 8 1/2 hrs and do not think it would go down well if I said ...going to ice my leg now!!!

​Thank you x

• Posted

Hi I think a support stocking would help you a lot, or just support tights would be better than nothing....I have been using mine again at 4 weeks after physio suggested this and it's worked really well.  I put mine on first thing then exercise and then leg up and ice while I eat breakfast smile 
  • Posted

I am 14 weeks and still having stiffness in my knee after exercise. My friend is 13 months in and is still having a problem. It is also stiff in the morning. I also get stiffness after icing.. wish I could tell you when it gets better. It seems to be different for everyone. Hope you improve. It has to eventually get better. I hope. Keep us informed if there is an improvement. Oh I find it helps to do two 10 minute sessions on bike .

• Posted

Thank you Jeanne, I will try spitting the bike tomorrow. , Best wishes for your recovery too, x
  • Posted

Hi sue. I am 12 weeks post op and after my 2 knees being replaced in March, it's been a very challenging experience, to say the least. How much sleep to you get? I find rest has been key for me. I exercise once a day and go to hydrotherapy twice a week. I can walk without too much pain but stiffness is a new issue. Can I just say don't expect too much. Our muscles, bones, tendons and nerves have all been hammered to the hilt. The stuff we went through, if we only knew! I watched a replacement on youtube. They belt the tripe outta us. We need time, rest and patience. Eat well, drink lots of water and if you are really worried go see your MD. All the best lyn
    • Posted

Lyn ell dne doing both together. Myother one is next year. I don't sleep during the day but do rest, I try to go to bed around 10pm but its later tonight I still waken 2 times a night . Myhusbands alarm goes at 6 am and the grown upkids at 7.I usually doze for another hr. I too watched the op on you tube. I am drinking loads water. Thank you Best wishes for your continuing recovery. I love the sound  hydrothapy but there is none near me, x. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Sue

I too wish you a speedy recovery. Feels so darn awful some days but we just have to endure. I hope you get some relief with the knowledge that many of us are suffering along with you. It gave me strength to know I was not alone. All the very best to you. lyn xx

• Posted

Thank you Lyn, I am glad I found this site it has really helped me and given me lots of advice from others going through exactly the same at same time. Wish I had found it before as I really didn't know what to expect. Best wishes to you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.