Frustrated - Achilles re-reputured

Posted , 2 users are following.

Very frustrated and looking for some answers. Here's what happened: I ruptured my left Achilles playing soccer on April 11th, 2017 (complete thick tear). Finding my first doctor and getting the MRI results from him lost me about 10 days. Went to another doctor, she told me I've probably created a gap between my tear from waiting and rushed me to get my surgery. Had the surgery on May 1st, 2017. Because of the gap, she opened my leg all the way up to the calf muscle and lengthen the muscle to pull it down and reattached. After the surgery I was in full hard cast for 4 weeks, then half cast for 2 weeks and another 2 weeks of boot. Almost 2 months after the surgery I started my PT. I was feeling good, there wasn't much pain but alot of swelling which is common.

On August 9th, little over a month of PT I was feeling pretty good, almost no limp when I'm walking and can feel my leg getting stronger. Then all the sudden I'm walking (just walking) and heard a pop. There was no pain, so I didn't think anything of the pop. This past Friday August 11th I had my 3 month follow up appointment with my surgeon. She told me I re-ruptured my Achilles because I failed the thompson test. I was in shock to hear this, I mean I have no pain at all and I showed her how I can walk almost normal. She said to get back in the boot and come see her in 2 weeks. I asked if it is really ruptured again, shouldn't I get MRI done right away? Then she gave me prescription for MRI. Yesterday August 16th I get my MRI results and decided to see a different doctor for 2nd opinion. He told me I have a partial tear at a different spot. The same spot where they lengthen the muscle to stretch. But no surgery required as my leg feels strong and I have no pain. Told me that I need to wear the boot for 4 months and continue my PT.

Today, August 17th I got a call from my original surgeon saying she just received the MRI results and I need to get surgery again. She is not sure if the tear at same spot or not and she is going to confirm with MRI Radiologist. Also told me to not to walk without crutches.

I was on the crutches for a while which weakened my right knee and hip. Just thinking of using the crutches again is terrifying.

I'm so confused and frustrated now. Not sure what to do:

Do I listen to my surgeon and go for another surgery?

Do I listen to the other doctor and continue my therapy with surgery?

Or do I get one more opinion?

Anyone else had a similar situation?

This injury has put in a very tough situation physically and financially.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I wish everyone good health and successful recoveries.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm still only in my 6th week of recovery from a full rupture non surgery method, and therefore don't have any first hand experience with your situation, but I would DEFINITELY advise to get another opinion. Your description of still being able to walk etc is confusing and another professional interpretation/opinion would help you make the best decision. By the way are you in Canada or the US (or elsewhere)?

As we all know on this discussion board, it's such a long haul to recovery with this type of injury and starting over unnecessarily is not something anyone wants to do!

Really hope you get some positive info and move recover quickly and safely! Best of luck, and keep us posted!

• Posted

How does the non surgery method works? Are you in a cast or boot? Can you do therapy? I'm afraid if I continue my therapy with ruptured achilles, it might make it worst.

I'm from US.

• Posted

Was in a cast with foot in plantar flexion position (toes pointed down)  for  2 weeks - NWB. Then cast off, Thompson test done which indicated Achilles attached (don't know much, but a bit of reflex!). WAlking cast moon boot then put on with 3 wedges making foot point downward. Started physio 5 weeks from injury (3 weeks after boot on) and also removed 1 wedge then too. Have been pretty well weight bearing since week 4. Bought an "Evenup" for other foot that made leg length difference much less and easier to walk. Now I'm almost at 7 weeks and supposed to take another wedge out I believe but Ive been having some pain lately in the calf and Achilles - think I may hVe overdone one of the exercises, so I'm taking a breAk for a few days and using crutches more. 

Mosy people do seem to start the physio soon but you need to get the go ahead thAt you're ready. Do you have to pay for another opinion? Think it might be worthwhile if possible.

Most of Canada goes the non surgery route and it appears most of the StAtes go the surgery route. There are many opinions on both and the non surgery is the more progressive method based on current studies and research. 

For a great blog check out Agnes Achilles blog and videos!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.