FRUSTRATED AFTER 2 YEARS OF SUFFERING

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have had various symptoms that i have been suffering with over the past 2 years or so. I have been diagnosed with IBS after multiple different tests. They have done so many tests on me over the past 2 years (listed below)

Blood tests

CRP Blood test

COVID

Spirometry Test

Mammogram

Breast ultrasound

Holter Monitor (24 hours)

ECG

abdominal ultrasound

chest x ray

pelvic ultrasound

Stool sample

Everything came back clear, so they put it down to IBS. Since starting with symptoms which include so many different things. Ribcage discomfort, upper/middle and lower backache, cramping, bloated, constipation and stool changes. My stress levels and anxiety is through the roof because its a constant worry, its definitely affecting my everyday life because its like a dark cloud following me around because i cant accept that all of this can only be IBS. I'm moody, irritable, short tempered, distant, distracted. But all i get told is to try yoga, meditating and counselling. Good luck trying to get in with a counselor during a worldwide pandemic, so instead i just plod on each day and try and push it to the back of my mind. Does anyone who has been diagnosed with IBS suffer with these same symptoms and if so how do you manage and deal with it? Any help at this point would be appreciated

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

hi Kileen, all i know is you sound like something isn't right but unsure it's just IBS. i think you have depression on top, there is a forum on here. your doctor must do something else. mindfulness may help you more and a mood diary and maybe a food diary. ibs doesn't usually give you all those symptoms but stress and depression might. i wish you luck, it's horrible to think you feel so rubbish. good luck you poor thing.

• Edited

Thanks for the reply. Sorry you said, you didnt think my symptoms were IBS? The backache, ribcage discomfort, constipation etc? I do believe i suffer with Health anxiety and also depression which i have also been told can trigger IBS. So basically its like a vicious circle.

• Posted

Hi Kileen, I have also been running constantly to the doctors this past year with so many different symptoms and they keep rolling back to the conclusion of IBS. I've had all my bloods checked and and ultrasound scan of my abdomin. Alls clear. Also going for a 2nd ultrasound on Thursday. I have such a strange popping/clicking sensation under my rib on the righthand side. The odd time it feels like there's a burning sensation with it. It's been there for so long and driving me nuts. I can't say it's causing me pain, but more discomfort and causes me worry that's is something more sinister as I also suffer from health anxiety so I know what you're going through. The mind can be our worse enemy sometimes.

• Posted

Yes its so frustrating, one day i feel ok and then other days i wake up and have stomach cramps, aches, pains etc and its like.... what the hell. Other than completely change my diet to try gluten free or dairy etc i dont know what else i can do. I just someitmes feel like doctors cant diagnose IBS straight off the bat without looking at everything and even though ive had lots and lots of tests. The one test in which i feel would be the icing on the cake is a colonoscopy, as that would actually look at my colon to see if in fact its colitis or diverticultis or something. He doesnt feel its necessary becuse everything else came back clear. He feels its to invasive and not required. I want to trust him but at the same time they also dont live with the constant uncomfortableness everyday.

• Posted

Hi Kileen,

Yes, sounds like IBS to me. I suffer as well. I am wondering how old you are? Have you had your hormone levels checked? A drop in levels absolutely brings on anxiety and irritability. It can often cause IBS as well.

• Posted

I am a 35 and no i havent had my hormone levels checked. maybe worth looking into. What symptoms do you get with IBS?

• Posted

hello ! thank you fir sharing . i am suffering from same symptoms for more than 2 years now . no medication helped so far .

• Posted

What medication have you tried? it gets very frustrating and disheartening for sure. I dont know, i always feel like maybe something has been missed. IBS just seems like a bit of a cop out because they dont know whats going on.

• Posted

Hi there, I am 36 and have been dealing with this since I turned 30. However, I also have health anxiety which aggravates everything. I too have had many tests and im told its IBS. I suffer from lower abdominal cramping, gas pains, nausea at times and off/on constipation and diarrhea. Recently, ive had some lower back pain that comes about with my lower abdominal pain. These symptoms are especially bad during ovulation or my period. It's a miserable cycle!

• Posted

Yes i have all of them things, very frustrating. Did you have a colonoscopy or endoscopy?

• Posted

i wouldnt put it down to IBS unless you've had endoscopy and colonoscopy. also how many stool samples did you give? i have heard that some things cannot be detected unless you submit at least three consecutive samples ( monday tues wed)....

• Posted

Well that's exactly what i was thinking, how can you be diagnosed with IBS without having all of the tests first? But my doctor felt that a colonoscopy was to invasive when nothing came back from the other results, he feels that something would have showed up on my tests if it was anything sinister. I only had 1 stool sample taken.

• Posted

ask for several! i know giardia and blasto cystis hominis is hard to detect because they dont shed all the time...

• Posted

But would that not cause diarrhea? I dont ever have that, if anything i go the other way and can be waiting days for a bowel movement.

• Posted

I am in a similar position, it has been going on for over a year now. It is driving me insane. For me, the right side abdomen can be painful (a sudden onset of sharp / burning pain or a dull constant pain), other times it can just feel irritating (like I'm carrying a tennis ball around in the lower right abdomen). There was a period of months last year when I didn't notice it at all. Now, it's only the odd day or few hours here or there when I don't notice it. I go from periods diarrhea, periods of constipation, other times I am passing solid stools 3 or 4 times a day. I'm also often very gassy - despite not eating gassy foods. I've also had lower right side calf pain, pain in my groin, pain around last two ribs on rights side that can radiate around to my back and into my shoulder blade. At times my lower back and ribs are sore to touch.

I am genuinely terrified something sinister is going on. I am 42, I have two young children - I really want to see them grow up in to great adults. I am not usually an anxious person but the health anxiety I now have is dreadful, I'm sure it is a vicious circle - I have stopped Googling - it only adds to the anxiety.

I have been for 2 abdominal ultrasounds, 2 chest x-rays, a CT of my brain (due to a blackout), a range of bloods (going back next week), private bowel health/screening blood test. ALT was raised, as was vitamin B12, all else comes back ok - private hospital didn't think raised ALT/vitamin B12 is an issue - they just wanted to retest next week (6 weeks after original tests) - I'm having this done with my GP. I'm told it does not appear to be IBS, IBD, Chrons etc..,

The thing is, I'm told it's nothing to worry about, you'll be fine, don't be negative, but I know my own body and it wasn't like this just over a year ago.

I have had a sedentary job for years, I am not unhealthy, a little overweight, but not unhealthy. I have cut out alcohol, increased intake of water(was never great), improved my diet (it wasn't bad before but now even less red meat, fats, sugars etc...). I have also improved exercise - but no noticeable changes in my right side pain and discomfort - it had come and gone over the last year but it is staying for longer periods now.

I have been referred to a gastroenterologist, the wait time is approx 4 months. I can't really afford it but will pay for private gastroenterologist and either a CT or MRI of my bowel - or endoscopy, colonoscopy whatever is best.

• Posted

This is one of the things that annoys me with regards to diagnosing. I dont understand how doctors can say its IBS without doing the tests. You havent had a CT scan, you havent had a colonoscopy? So therefore they havent seen what is going on inside of you? My doctor is sending me for a CT scan on Thursday which im happy about in one respect but also nervous at the same time. I always think the worst so its just playing on my mind at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.