Frustrated with my TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had tkr on July 12, 2016. I'm having a difficult time keeping my range of motion. Any suggestions?I go to therapy 3xs a week, I have a cpm at home, and a flexonator. I go to gym and water exercise. I have used heat and ice. My knee is still stiff. Help me out.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you had your surgeon apply manual manipulation under anesthesia? I work out in the pool as well. Best thing so far
    • Posted

Yes they did that too. Water therapy works best but once I sit down and rest it stiffens back up.
  • Posted

Hi Phillip,

I found that after 12 weeks of therapy 2x a week, the best thing that worked for me was water therapy with a therapist in a pool!!!  I'm so much better!

• Posted

I love water therapy but it doesn't keep rom afterwards.

• Posted

If it's still swollen it will be stiff or a tight feeling.

• Posted

pool is best. No impact. I used to go to the Y. Insurance will pay for membership most times for a year. It's cheaper for them than PT.

• Posted

Phillip - doing my exercises In the pool really helped me. I did that as soon as I got the ok and my rom really increased. I had my tkr a week before you and my rom is 130 and my straightening is 0. I have my last pt tomorrow - can walk without any pain but I'm very stiff and sore when I stand up after sitting or in the am. I'm taking Advil as I need it. I understand that soreness and stiffness takes a long time to go away. All we can do is keep doing what we are doing - exercise, ice and elevate! This surgery is such a bear! Best wishes

Barb

• Posted

Flexonator?  Is that like a Flux Capacitor?  No?

NO HEAT!!!!  Just ice.  Like Bill says...if it's swollen, it will feel stiff.  Plus, there can still be: a. a slightly swollen look; b. stiffness; and c. clicking/popping noises for up to 18 months post op...all normal.  Here are some more tips...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Keep it up...you're only 7 weeks post-op.  This is gonna take a while.

• Posted

Hey Phillip I'm 6 weeks post op RTHR. Just getting away from crutches but it's good to be pain free. So what does that have to do with your knee, you might ask. We're at about same time frame, early in recovery.

I had both knees done been almost two years and they are good, but at 8 weeks like you are I still had swelling and stiffness. Ice after workout and Elevate, I was always sore from physical therapy which went on for a year. You reach a ROM but then you have to maintain it. I used a yoga strap on foot and pulled as hard as I could to bend knee for 15-20 seconds at a time. Pretty common exercise I believe. Another thing I felt helped was the stationary bike with seat set to as far as knee would bend without pain. Then you gradually move it closer. This was like a warm up, followed by treadmill. Then squats with medicine ball. Knee bending again but I wasn't doing squats at 8 weeks! Keep working for the little gains and you'll get there. Good Luck!Dave

• Posted

Hated that stationary bike at PT. OK at first then he added simulated hills. Learned to not like that thing. Lol. But it helped
  • Posted

Thank each and every one of you for your encouragement and support. I didn't mention that I had two patella rupture repaired in each knee prior to the TKR. I also had limited range of motion in the knee i just got surgery on.

• Posted

You've got more going on than just the knee replacement. You're really early in your recovery sounds like your doing good. My second knee replacement, 3 months after first, my patella was fractured vertically during surgery. They bend your knee after the new one is in while you're still under, apparently my knee cap couldn't take the stress of trying to stretch tight muscles. So I have a screw in my knee cap as well! Doesn't cause any problems now but put me back 6 weeks on physical therapy. Keep working out and you'll be fine. One thing I was told never to do was kneel down on hard floor with my knees. Always put a pillow or pad down to put your knee on. Sounded like good advice to me. Dave

• Posted

Ouch. Sounds like my brother. Then the screws came loose. Had to go in and tighten them.

• Posted

Hi Phillip,

it's still early days, don't be hard on yourself!

gong to gym and water excersises? You sound to be more than on track.

Don't try to run before you can walk, so to speak.

A year after my second TKR, and I've had unrelated surgery, which put my walking back, and my knees stiffen up after sitting or lying down for too long.

you will find this, but things will improve, it takes a while, be patient, keep icing, and keep excersising.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.