Frustrating

Posted , 8 users are following.

Newly diagnosed with shingles clustered on back.  I can tolerate pain but I am confused over the tingle that seems to may my hair stand up. The worst part is the weakness and heavy head fogginess. How long will these last?  I am on an antivirus 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It varies from one person to another.  The sharp, stabbing pain, especially at night, was what gave me fits when I had shingles.  One of rhe lasting results that I’ve had for nearly 18 months is chronic fatigue.  I seem to be sleepy all the time, regardless of how much sleep I get at night.  I have a very sensitive patch on the palm of my hand and thumb, not really painful, as a reminder of what I went through back then.  We all seem to have slightly different responses but our nerve endings do take a beating and often there is permanent discomfort.
  • Posted

Hello Bonnie,

I'm sure by now you've seen many posts with advice. Thought I might as well add my two cents. Everyone experiences Shingles differently, so many variations, symptoms and length of time. The average seems to be 6 weeks of pain, tingling, fogginess and extreme fatigue etc. However for some it can be only a few weeks, while others 3 months. The important thing is staying very healthy. Eat clean food, (no fast food, lots of fruit and veggies) vitamins, especially Lysine. Get rest, but still get some fresh air and try to have a positive outlook. I have reoccurring shingles, and also drink Chaga tea and take tramodol for when the pain is too much. Good luck and hope that this does not last too long. Gayleen

• Posted

Hi Bonnie,

I am so sorry you have Herpes Zoster-Shingles. It is difficult to cope with this disease. The Physicians often fail to tell patients the varying accompanying symptoms with possible timelimes.

Just so you know, the burning lancinating pain can worsen over the first couple of weeks. If the pain does worsen and the analgesics you have are not handling it, please go back to your Physician and request stronger analgesics. People who have the pain well controlled the first month are less apt to develop Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN.

The mental fogginess, heavy head, and fatigue symptoms that you have can last from two weeks to months to years. You didn't state your age, but the accompanying symptoms and pain tend to last longer in those who are older and sicker. However, everyone is different, and the disease affects everyone differently. My advice to you is to rest and sleep, and to eat nutritiously.

Google High Lysine Low Arginine Herpes Diet to see what foods to eat and avoid.

Have your Vitamin D level checked. Vitamin D is essential for immune function, as well as for many other systems. It is not just for bones, as previously thought. It should be 40-50.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Mine is finally starting to clear after 7 weeks. One thing I found that worked is hemorrhoid crème my friend told me about it.

• Posted

Shingles affect your nerve endings under the skin so the tingling is quite natural although nasty. The pain is very awful like sharp stabbing and aching. I had the pain before the shingles rash and dizziness and fever. Then the rash contnuing pain itching and acute tiredness. That was five weeks ago. Rash has scabbed over and skin just red now and sore. I had my first walk out this week and was so tired. I also have developed a cough but I do not think this is usual. My advice is rest, spoil yourself, drink plenty of water with antivirals and good healthy food. Keep away from chocolate and cakes alcohol. In fact if you google shingles diet it will tell you the best foods to eat. Blessings to you and I hope you recover very quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.