Frustrating ETD still here 5 months later!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

My ears wont stop popping every time I swallow! It has been 5 months. I had a VNG and they found no response from my right ear to cold or hot air. This is causing my balance problems due to the vestibular nerve damage. If I don't move around I tend to decompensate and start wobbling. My ears however haven't changed. They feel tight and uncomfortable, hurting, squishy popping, ringing. Its worse with less sleep and stress. I have no sinisitus or any allergies. WHY WONT THIS STOP?!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

omg you are like me but my ear thumps and my balance is a bit off

I'm 37 and i get stares just for walking with a cane.You must have serious congestion going on.Get a hot and a cold humidifier like me and swap between them ever so often.And take some decongestant allergy pills.

• Posted

Also use saline nasal spray.My ears seem to react to it better sometimes and no side effects
  • Posted

Hello, sounds a daft question, but how do you know you haven't got allergies or sinusitis.  I think they are the worse culprit for ETD.  Post Nasal Drip too, all of which I suffer.  If you haven't already, just try a daily antihistamine.  Have you googled your symptoms to see what's recommended.  So hard if tests are coming back clear, yet your ears are still clogged.  If you are hearing a popping sound or crackling it does sound like trapped mucus.  What have you already tried ??

Anne

• Posted

Hello, i don't think its allergies for several reasons. I have never had allergies or sinus problems. My symptoms started after a cold with sinus pressure. I think it was viral at the time so it went away but my ears were left a mess. I don't sneeze or have any post nasal drip or facial pressure. They also did the tube up my nose and didn't see any inflammation or drainage. That was like 4 months ago. Lately this has been making me feel fatigued and a pinching burning type feeling in the back of my head and neck area. I can even feel air being blow in to my Eustachian tubes sometimes and when i swallow there is a loud pop when the air is let out. I still have ringing but my right ear is worse. I don't know whats going on but my head doesn't feel right and it can be a very uncomfortable feeling. I also have TMJ and i can feel my jaw popping in and out and sometimes it crackles and pops. I cant afford the treatment for TMJ its almost $2000 out of pocket. I can't go on with my ears popping forever. I have tried inhaling steam and decongestants but they didn't seem to help. The ears don't bother me as much as the fatigued and painful head feeling. Only thing left is to get an MRI which my insurance will cover. Besides the MRI my ENT has already gave up on me.

• Posted

Hello,  well, you're in a bad way.  Personally, I would think you have mucus in your eustachian tubes from your cold.  Having suffered this condition for years and years, but mine through sinus and allergies, it certainly sounds this is what you may have.  A family member of mine had the same as you last year.  She caught a cold and her ears were blocked for months.  The pressure got so bad she was constantly trying to pop the ears herself by pinching nostrils together and blowing.  She, like me probably perforated her eardrum, however the muck was to thick and sticky to drain.  I recommended she saw my ENT consultant privately (to enable a quick appt,) and he told her there was dreadful infection present and microsuctioned the ear getting rid of all the infected mucus.  She was put on antibiotics and ear drops.  She felt wonderful once it had cleared.  I've had at least 3 perforations this years where this procedure has been carried out.  If ours ears are blocked it can make our heads feel weird, just like yours does.  It's all the inflammation, which you obviously do have if your ears are blocked.  The crackling and popping is probably coming from your ears and not jaw.  Out of beeing curious, what is the treatment for TMJ.  I only had that once years ago, that was after treatment at the dentist for a crown being fitted and the dentist was over zealous which caused TMJ.....I couldn't open my mouth once the numbness had worn off and that lasted about a week.  There are too many of us on the Forum suffering ETD for it to be TMJ.  Ask your doctor for Prednisolone Steroid tablets.  I know I tell everyone to ask for these as they are they only thing that will clear up blocked ears and any potential inflammation.  A quick course will not hurt you and anything is worth a try.  My left ear has been clear since April this year after having taken them.  Mine was a 20 reducing course.  At present I using Flixonase Nasule Drops (6 weeks course) then revert back to twice daily using Flixonase Aqeous Nasal Spray.  It seems like you've done everything that is recommended to try and help yourself, so trying the steroids just may help.  I have to take them every other year, but try and go 3 yearly, as my ear would be constantly blocked all the time if I didn't.  It's a miserable condition and drags us all down, so I feel for you.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne, thank you for your support! It helps me to keep my sanity to know I am not alone. I feel for you too. We are all suffering this torture. It’s interesting you bring up the 20 day reducing course of prednisolone steroid tablets. I mentioned steroids to my ENT after doing some research and she only offered me a 4mg Medrol dosepak. She said longer courses are used for treating a sensorineural hearing loss. She didn’t know what was wrong with me at the time even after I explained all my symptoms and just wanted me to get an MRI. Well about TMJ there are treatments and they differ based on each person. For me there is a bone called a condyle which is out of place from its normal position and this causes clicking and sometimes grinding noises. It has to do with what they call a disk and the bone jumps out of place. The treatment involves a very expensive appliance which is worn day and night. It helps relax the jaw muscles so that the condyle can assume its normal position and alleviate the popping and clicking and soreness in the jaw. There are follow up visits to make adjustments in the appliance and monitor each persons progress. I really want to try this treatment because this problem is likely to cause further deterioration of the disk but I can’t afford it! Insurance won’t pay for these treatments. I think this is a separate issue for me and my ears don’t have anything to do with this. You’re right too many ENT doctors tell us it is TMJ problems even when we tell them it starts after a cold or sinus infection. Not much help.
    • Posted

Glad I can be of some support.  Ask your doctor for the Prednisolone and you could print off my messages, like someone else did.  They have helped a couple of people (ladies) on the forum.

My ears are still behaving, but had to pop my left one a few times this morning until the tube stayed

open.  I dread coming of the Flix Nasules as I know my problem will start all over again, once back on the spray.  Obviously, Nasules are stronger.  It's so wonderful being able to taste and smell, but know it will disappear again.

I know for certain my ETD isn't TMJ.  Would be brilliant for you, if one or the other could get sorted.  Which do you think is the worse ?  Inflammation is a big problem with me, that's why I lose those senses when it all builds back up again.

I've had terrible Tennis Elbow (never played it in my life ha ha), but that's what they call it when there is inflammation present.  I may have banged my elbow at some point, swore, rubbed it and got on with it.....but inflammation causes the pain.  Years and years ago I eventually couldn't stand the pain any longer and had to see my doctor for the cortisone injection administered through the elbow joint, that in itself was so painful, but after a few days it did the trick and elbow been good ever since until recently. I decided to try and cure myself this time and couldn't stand the thought of that jab again.  So I bought the bag that can go in freezer or microwave, used only frozen for half and hour every night for a week and it's gone !!  So again inflammation can cause havoc.

I don't know your name so not sure whether you are male or female.  Stay in touch and let me know how things go.

Kind regards

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.