Frustration Of Postherpetic Neuralgia

Posted , 1 user is following.

Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) is a nerve pain (neuralgia) that persists after a shingles rash has cleared. If the pain goes, but then returns at a later date, this too is called PHN

Sadly I am having it this time after 2 outbreak of shingles and I m taking a course of 5 days anti viral as I felt it may re activate the 3rd time.

The shingles is on my my left lower with only 3 large size peas on the 1st time and a week later another one pea size on my left buttock crease.

Now I have PHN systom again...

Having shingles for last 5 years and I took the shingles jab ...

No Miracle and I am working super hard on living healthy with exercise and supplement.

A level of frustration on this Postherpetic Neuralgia from the whole shoulder and a shooting pain on the wrist on the left ankle,/

Jukym

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi JUKYM  so sorry to hear you have it again,  what I dont understand is how it has effected you in so many places,  it must be so uncomfortable for you.  what I dont understand is why does it come back.  If we have taken the  anti viral medication why do we have to suffer a seconf/third time.  and why does it hit more people  so many times.  Can any one give me and others hope that we wont get it again.My PHN  is so bad I cant cope  I try not to take  (what I call my  last option medication)  yes I take all my meds daily  through out the day but when I cant get past the  PLEASE STOP ME HURTING session I do take the  Oxynorm   medication, just to take the edge off it.  Whats the saying they can fly men to the moon but cant find  a way of stopping this life crippling pain.  What I dont understand is  yesterday I had to go to hospital to look at me having another throat operation. I had a berium throat swallow, I was not allow to drink or take my meds before the berium swallow. ok I got up set with the results.   I had to take some  liquid medication to settle the phn pain. I drove there and back, felt ok but shattered but after I got home . I started to have a lot of pain once home I took my meds as quick as possible to try to settle it down. then when I was watching tv  I started to feel a lot of pain.  MY question  if Im busy  I dont seem to get to much pain. Today  im crawing  the walls.  with ice packs and meds.  Is there any one out there who finds this happening to them. Dam my cat has just sat infront of my screan  sorry trying to sign off.  Jocelyne  Cambridge  UK

• Posted

Hi JUKYM  can you tell me  how do you get over the pain threshhold, when your  exercising,  I have noticed that if I am having to do some thing, ie visit the hospital I have to drive  the only way I can do that is by me taking my super med  OxyNorm, to make the pain be ok to do things  but I have also noticed if I am stressed or going to do some thing  ie talk to the doctor, my pain starts up again.  I some times find it hard to come down from that pain,  do you have this or can you come up with a way I can cope  Jocelyne  Cambridge  UK
    • Posted

My shingles re activation is so alarming in past 5 years but this year the PHN has the longest of 21 days. My doc prescribed me on half pill

Amtriptyline 10mg.

I noticed that the shooting arrival from my lower ankle and heavy shoulder means I will do running and swimming to release the pain.

With the application of Peppermint and Lavender and it does soothe the pain.

Recently I started on tumeric pills twice a day and gonna to monitor it. Jocelyn.... I am simply frustrated with shingles and want tostay healthy.

I hope to find the roots of termination of shingles... and likely it is the immune system is weak and stress too.

A new formula from my Indian Ayuverdic Doc is take regularly a glass of half of a small lemon juice and a tablespoonful of manuka honey to mix with warm water to start b4 brushing teeth in the morning and before bedtime to boost the imunne system...

The pain of mine is only 2 to 3 based on 10 marks but it is the fatigueness on the system drives me nuts

• Posted

Hi  thank you for that information, well after crawling the walls yesterday im sitting quietly at the computer, the cat is laying asleep on my chair.  and guess what   NO PAIN....  at the moment...  why  I dont understand.

Is the honey a special type.  I live in the UK.  Jocelyne   Cambridge  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.