Frustruation?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone else really struggled at the beginning of their diagnosis with feeling guilty/ashamed/overwhelmed with getting used to not being able to do what they used to be able to do? I am really having a hard time adjusting. Even though it took two years to finally get the Fibro diagnosis, I haven't been able to do things I used to do all the time for a while now. I feel guilty because I can't manage to keep up with the house work, and I can't do the stuff my kids want me to do because i am simply not strong enough any more to do it. I spend every moment I have at home with them and I really hope that is doing enough to not make me a bad mother now because I can't play their favorite games right now. All my mental willpower during the week goes to making it through working long hours to provide for my family and I have been feeling really mentally depleted and depressed lately.

Let me know if you have any tips or advice. Thanks in advance!

Have a blessed day!

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello knives88

Yes indeed!!! I went and got a 2nd  and a 3rd and a 4th opinion because I’ve had friends with fibromyalgia and I didn’t want to except it and I’ve had this for years and got the diagnosis in 2015. Now I’m my case my kids are grown so I can only imagine what it’s like for you because I can’t do the things I used to and it’s frustrating! It’s so bad for I had to stop working in 2016 and apply for disability. Make small strides daily. Or should I say weekly and realize there’s only so much you can do at a time. I was asking my therapist that when you have it this bad where is the fine line between depression and anxiety and actually being in pain and she was sharing that it’s the pain that brings on the depression. A lot of drs don’t believe we are in as much pain as we say. They don’t realize that we had no clue that it was fibro until THEY tell us we have it. We just came to them and said I’m in a lot of pain and no energy and weakness and headaches, and back pain etc...So it’s amazing they try to say it’s depression and not pain. Now I know they can go hand and hand they’re willing to address the depression aspect but not the pain aspect . That’s why I kept making appt telling them I’m in horrible pain. Now a lot of people found remedies that worked for them but there is a lot of us it hasn’t worked so what do you do and how do you address it? But In the meantime make small strides weekly. And if you can’t do it you can’t do it. Don’t beat yourself up about it. We will keep encouraging each other. Big 🤗 hugs to you.

• Posted

Absolutely. I was listening to early morning radio years ago.

There was a live chat with New York,

Where they exchanged news about anything and everything.

The American Gent. Said, " I hear that your gov. Has told Drs. To stop diagnosing ME. Which usually connected to Fibromialgia. It is a big problem in America. That's why it is so hard to be taken seriously. Problem being that most people are too ill to fight back.

• Posted

Bless you. Yes all of the above I have felt! My daughter has now flown the best but I still feel guilty about hubby having to come home after a heavy working day to then set to and help me with the cooking and cleaning. I also feel guilty etc for not being able to go back to work just now. I have been off for 9 months. I am lucky in the fact I worked as a Health Care Assistant at a busy Medical Practice so they are very supportive and said they will hold my job open but I worry for how long??

I also feel guilty about having to ask for money because I am not earning at the moment just get a small amount from ESA. I hate this but luckily hubby as assured me it's fine and to stop worrying. I am so grateful that I have such a good support network as I know a lot of people's families and work colleagues aren't so forgiving and understanding.

I think we have to be kind to ourselves and stop feeling the guilt and concentrate more on what we can do and build it up.

Take Care and don't beat yourself up. I am going to have to practice what I preach!

• Posted

Knives88, please don't despair, it is perfectly normal to feel that way. The acceptance is the hard bit once you overcome that you can focus on managing the pain. It is really important that you can talk to someone, and perhaps look at self-help remedies. I was ready to end my life, fell into deep depression but this site amongst other things helped me to deal with my mental health and pain. Mindfulness is a good tool to use.

• Posted

Yes me .. Omg I can’t even comb my dog’s hair and he looks so disorganized 😕 but I’m kinda at the end of this flare up ( it took me one month ughhh) and I hope I get my energy back to handle things better...Feel better you are not alone 🙏??

• Posted

HI,

im new to this as well it I should a lot to try and get your head around. The only advice I can give you is don’t beat yourself up, just do what you can manage to do when you are able to do it. If you stress yourself out it really won’t help you, so just take one day at a time and don’t push yourself. Sorry this isn’t much but hope it helps x

• Posted

I did feel overwhelmed for the first year. I agree with Oompa that, once you reach acceptance, you can get on with finding ways to live with this horrible problem.

You do have to pace yourself. You do have to rest more often, and you do have to treat yourself sometimes, for your own mental well being. Take care of yourself, so you can take care of your children.

​When I grew up, mothers were too busy to play with us, but we loved them just as much. They listened to us and were there for us. Your little ones will learn how to amuse themselves sometimes. That is a goodthing.

Look for new things to do which you enjoy, which are less stressful on the body. 

​Take care

​Big hug from someone who understands what you are going through.

• Posted

Hiya knives26761, Absolutely, .pprobably most of us can say ‘YES” to that, try not to stress, it’s really one of the worst things you can do with Fibro, it just loves it and you can easily and quickly get worse. Please don’t ever feel guilty it’s NOT your fault, it just the way Fibro makes you feel, (trouble is no one sees you’ve got a got a health issue with Fibro not like a broken leg) and there is light at the end if your tunnel. I’ve had it for 30years now and after the first 29 years I only get flare ups..they are nit good but I can have 6 months symotom free and then a flare up, certainly beats what it used to be like, be blessed knives and have a lovely day, gentle hugs from over the seas..😍😍

• Posted

Hi knives

I am struggling with this too I feel I have no purpose anymore 

My children are grown up but I still want to take care of them

My energy levels are so low

And  pain in my legs making my mood so low

It's been 2 years none stop now

I'm 47 and I'm beginning to think this is my future from now on 

It's so debilitating 

I push myself but never seems enough 

I'm constantly reading if I will ever feel normal again 

Spending time at home with your family is so special to them so try not to beat yourself up 

Bless you

• Posted

Thank all of you so much!

This community on here has helped me so much in every way in getting through all of this. You guys are such wonderful and supportive people and I hope to be the same for all of you!

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed recently (within the last year) and deal with much of the same. I am not even half of who i was, which is way past frustrating. It’s downright angering and maddening sometimes. I haven’t figured out how to cope with it all yet, but that’s why i joined this group. I feel pain everyday to one extreme or another and can’t keep my thoughts straight for anything. To add insult to injury, I’m a man, and i been td more than once that “only women get that” hopefully there’s a light at the end of the tunnel....
  • Posted

I have just been diagnosed recently (within the last year) and deal with much of the same. I am not even half of who i was, which is way past frustrating. It’s downright angering and maddening sometimes. I haven’t figured out how to cope with it all yet, but that’s why i joined this group. I feel pain everyday to one extreme or another and can’t keep my thoughts straight for anything. To add insult to injury, I’m a man, and i been td more than once that “only women get that” hopefully there’s a light at the end of the tunnel....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.