FSH 1.64, FT4 12.8, FT3 4 could I have secondary hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism but have been pushed down the chronic fatigue syndrome. Am I wrong to think I might have hypothyroidism? Thanks. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jenny:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

I think you meant TSH not FSH!   TSH is a scale and indicates thyroid Hypo or Hyper.

If you are at 1.64 you are okay.  Normal Is: 0.45 to 4.50.  If your on the low end that means Hyper and if you are at the high end it means HYPO. You are in the mid zone which is good.

Can you please post your lab work  again but correctly!  Your numbers are not correct and I can tell from this post.   FT4 is different than T4 level. Make sure you post it as written on the lab paper, please!

I need to see the proper levels.  Normal FT4 is 0.82 to 1.77 so please post them and with the lab's ranges.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes I meant TSH. 

Results (UK)

thyroid stimulating hormone 1.64

free thyroxine 12.8

free t3 4.0

• Posted

Hello Jenny

TSH is okay at 1.64 norm 0.45 to 4.50.

FT4 ...12.8  should be( 0.82 1.77)   too high at 12.8

FT3.... 4.0  should be (2.50 to 3.90)  a little bit high 

You have some abnormal results and are you on any Thyroid meds? I would see an Endocrinologist.

What symptoms do you have?

Hypo symptoms are: Tired, feels depressed, feels COLD, no energy, weight gain, brain foggy, brittle nails, dry skin, acne, muscle aches, low temp and low heart rate, no periods or infrequent ones.

Hyper: Losing weight, insomnia, feels anxious, nervousness, eye bulging, rapid heart rate, feels HOT, feels sweaty, heavy periods.

So tell me what symptoms you have.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Was interested to read  your post and wondered if you had any luck with finding anything out?  Your results are very similar to mine (also based in the UK) and guessing that your free T4 was a pmol/L range test rather than the other one that they use in the States?  My TSH is 1.1 and my T4 is 12 based on a range of (10 - 23 pmol/L).  I didn't have a free T3 test done but have all the symptoms of an underactive thyroid.

So, the question is - have you got anywhere with finding anything out?!

Hope you're feeling a bit better!

sarni

x

• Posted

Hi Sarni

I've been told that I most likely have CFS. However I have a lot of secondary symptons like female pattern baldness, dry skin, weight increase without diet change, TATT. Since CFS is diagnosed by exclusion they are running more tests. I'll post any news. 

• Posted

It sounds like you definitely need more tests; I hope you get to the bottom of it.  CFS is a bit like a 'virus' isn't it - when they don't know what something is!!!  Good luck and feel better! xx
  • Posted

Hi Jenny,

Could you please put the ranges with your results as these vary across the UK and can be VERY different.

• Posted

Hi Lindy

Here they are

TSH 1.64 range 0.27 - 4.2

FREE THYROXINE 12.8 range 12.0 - 22.0

FREE T3 4.0 range 3.1 -  6.8

i also have low blood volume and low resting heart rate of 51

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

As you can see the ranges vary and this can change totally what people say when trying to help.

Your TSH is middling and would not normally show a problem. However, your FT4

is low within range and so is your FT3.  This could be caused by different things, one being secondary hypothyroidism.  You don't seem to have had your thyroid antibodies checked and that should really be done before anything else in case you have Hashimoto's disease.

If you have ever had a head injury, then secondary hypothyroidism is something you need to discuss with your GP as other tests cane be done - "dynamic" testing.

Hope this helps.

TSH 1.64 range 0.27 - 4.2

FREE THYROXINE 12.8 range 12.0 - 22.0

FREE T3 4.0 range 3.1 -  6.8

i also have low blood volume and low resting heart rate of 51

• Posted

Hi Jenny, NICE guidelines state that doctors can put people on levothyroxine (the synthetic T4 hormone which is the only treatment routinely offered on the NHS to people with under active thyroid) for a trial period if they have symptoms of under active thyroid but whose tests are showing up as 'normal'. Ask your doctor for a trial and keep a diary of your symptoms. It will take up to 6 weeks for improvements to be noticed. If you start feeling better, don't let them stop the medication. That would be negligent of your doctor. 
  • Posted

Hi Jenny,

In my experience, GP's would never give treatment to someone who has a TSH of 1.64 even if they have thyroid antibodies.  A private doctor might but I doubt it.  It might be an idea to check your vitamin B12 levels as symptoms of low B12 are similar to those of hypothyroidism.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.