FSH and LH Levels

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello again!  I posted last week about my all-night hot flushes.  Well, I went to my endocrinologist on Monday for a usual check up of my thryoid and told him that I feared my thyroid meds were too much because of the sudden hot flashes but, it's hard to know anymore because of my age and perimenopause.

He decided to run my FSH and LH levels and here are the results:

FSH = 79.1

LH = 54.3

Now these levels aren't flagged as low, high, or normal because there are various ranges they can normally be at depending where you are in your cycle.  Now, I have been getting my period irregularly, but still getting it (last time was early June).  It's been on a every 2 month track for a bit.  

Haven't heard yet from my doctor (I got these off my lab's website).  Just wondering what you think of these levels.

Thanks,

Christine

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, my endocrinologist finally called back.  He said that my thyroid levels are a tad bit on the high side and that my LH and FSH indicate that I am perimenopausal.  He suspects a combination of the two as the "culprits" for the hot flashes.  Basically, since I am perimenopausal and cannot regulate temperature as well as I could in my youth, that the borderline hyperthyroidism is exacerbating it.

His recommendation is for me to cut back, very slightly, my thyroid meds to see if I can get *some* improvement.  If not, he would like me to work with my GYN to start some low-dose HRT (or the antidepressants, if i prefer that).  He also said, in the meantime, I might try consuming some soy products as that is reported to help some women.

So, not sure what I think but I guess I will start with lowering my thyroid meds a bit and see if there will be some relief.

• Posted

So my thyroid result was 0.5 and I take 150mg a day a and I'm perimenopause. Are you over or underactive thyroid? I'm underactive Christine
    • Posted

Chris,

Well godd you got some kind of answer.  

Just a word of caution about the soy though.  Soy used to be touted as the answer to low estrogen, and yes it has some similar properties.  But I think the latest that I have read is suggesting that it will take up spots on your estrogen receptors and therefore will displace what estrogen your body does have.  Now the thinking is that soy might not be such a great thing.

Let's just face the fact that our bodies aren't screaming for soy, or acting strangely from a soy defiency.  While herbs and supplements might help calm some symptoms, it really isn't addressing the true nature of the problem.     

• Posted

Ok can't find an edit button.  The first line was:

Well good, you got some kind of answer.

• Posted

My thyroid was removed 20 years ago due to thyroid cancer.  I take suppressive doses of thyroid hormone to keep the cancer from recurring (that's protocol).  Because I am low risk and 20 years out, it is easier/safer for me to tweak the meds a bit.  But, based on my number, I am marginally hyperthyroid.
    • Posted

I didn't hold out much hope for working with soy.  I'm not overly a fan of it.  I do know that they suspect Asian women have less trouble with hot flashes due to the extra consumption of it, though.  But, yeah, it just covers the symptoms rather than corrects the problem, I guess.
    • Posted

Asians have different blood types to westerners, different enzymes (they can digest some things better than we can and vice versa), smaller bodies, and probably a whole lot of other reasons why soy works for them (or is it just a theory?).

gailannie and Tracky:  Glad to read an intelligent discussion of hrt use for a change.  Plus you are working around a thyroid issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.