Full histerectomy or half???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning all,

I need some advice and guidance on this... I'm 37 years old and I've been suffering quite a lot with chronic pelvic pain and also something related to my body reaction to hormones... I'm not quite sure at the moment as I can't even remember all what the doctor said! I was advised to have or a full histerectomy or just half of it. Now here is when the confusion gets worse.... I don't get it. What is the difference? The consult did explain and he mentioned about HRT.... I just feel very confused. I've been reading a lot and I just don't seem to understand this. Does any of you had to make this choice also? If yes, what were your first steps? Thank you in advance and have a lovely day 😊

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Izzygg. I had a full hysterectomy April' 16. I have had everything taken. Ovaries. Tubes. Womb and cervix. Some people depending on their symptoms just have parts taken. Tubes and womb and leave cervix and ovaries or other varies ways. It may be a good idea for you to maybe ask to speak to dr again to see what advantages and disadvantages to you having all or half according to your symptoms. Hrt is for when they take your ovaries as the body is no longer able to produce certain hormones and you would go into early menopause. I'm on hrt  and feel great on it. Not everyone can take it due to history of certain cancers in family but I was lucky. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Write them down before you go and if need be write answers down to help remember. Or take someone with you. I remember  coming out of my consultations and there being whoa!!!! I don't understand. I'm sure lots of woman on here will share their advice or experiences but in the end it's your body and your decision. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi izzygg, it is all very confusing I agree but, if you let your gp know you need more information they will gladly explain everything to you so you can then make a informed.  Decision , all the best to you whatever you decide I go in for a full hysterectomy next Friday but I am already on my menopause so taking my overies away shouldn't make my menopause any worse to be honest . So don't be afraid to ask lots of questions it's your body at the end of the day. Xx

• Posted

Hi it really is preference and the reason behind the operation that you should consider. In hindsight having everything taken including ovaries I regret. You will probably need hrt as you are quite young and this comes with its own risks which if you kept your ovaries you wouldn't need to be exposed too. I had an underlying condition of vaginal atrophy which was only in the early stages and undiagnosed at the time. Removing my ovaries sped the whole process up which I cannot undo now. However this was my personal experience and certainly not everyone's.

I do think you should discuss the long term effects with the Dr and hrt options before making such a big decision.

Good luck

• Posted

Izzygg, 

These doctors apt are very overwhelming at this time, in fact the are so much more ..they are  scary  / surreal / awful by times As well as that there are so many new words and statements. Write all ur questions down between now and Monday and make an apt to see the doc or nurse again, 

They'll understand you didn't catch much of the information from ur last  apt. I know mine did and i can tell ya i needed one or two more apt after that to try digest  some of the information. 

Might be an idea to bring a partner or a pal. 

I hope this helps a little 

Take care xx 

• Posted

Perhaps Izzy, if you think this relevant, you could ask if a full or part hysterectomy will have an effect on your love life either one way or the other.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.