FULL HYSTERECTOMY!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've just found out I have to have a full hysterectomy I'm still a bit of shock as I'm only 36 it's long story but I bleed all time I'm severely anemic and have been for a long time ! So that's it it's all going !!! Just wondering if anyone has had this done and did it affect your fibromyalgia? On a good note I went for a assessment for a blue badge and I've been awarded it yay x also my ot had been round and I'm getting lots of help which is great sonafter Xmas I'll go for the mobility side of pip as I'm on the standard rate at the moment

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sadie,

I had a full hysterectomy at age 35 due to endometriosis and like you it came as a bit of a shock. They had planned on taking one of my ovaries as it was diseased, but after the op, they admitted that they had taken the wrong one, so I then had to have another op to remove the one they should taken away first time.  This then threw me into a rapid menopause, I was put on HRT for a few years, which did help, but it affected my unstable angina so had to stop it.  I never regret having it done as like you, I used to bleed all the time.  

I know they can sometimes do the op through keyhole, that didn't happen in 1983 so I was cut along the bikini line and couldnt do anything for about 4 months.  I hope it all goes well for you. x

• Posted

Hi Hun

I will have a estergon tab to take ever day until I'm older which the doc says that's nothing to worry about so I'm ok with that just bit shocked that my cervix is honing to be honest ! Will effect my sex life etc

• Posted

Hi Sadie,

I had Hysterectomy approx 3 years ago. I had fibromyalgia at the time and didn't Know I had fibroids the size of grapefruit inside me.

I was having some breakthrough bleeding and thought things might be changing . I got very weak and became bedridden from the fibromyalgia.

I'm sure the fibroids weakened my body too.

They thought it was cancerous so we decided to do the hysterectomy.The surgery was not thst bad , but right after sugary in the post op area I had a lot of pain. More pain then usual at the incisional site.just make sure you are medicated comfortably, because us with Fibro do experience more pain then others do. Due to increased sensory nerves and things.

I was on a PCA which is a patient controlled anagelsia. I would recommend pressing that button as often as u need it. Don't wait for the pain to escalate before u take your pain mess.

Otherwise I was Exhausted the day after but I got up and walked, because I had to fly to Virginia to see him graduate from the Navy.

I left the hospital the 2nd day. The dr preferred I stayed 4 days, but I couldn't miss it.

My husband pushed me around in a wheelchair, because it does take a long time to.

Just so you know, the swollen stomach lady several months, but the pain is tolerable. Make sure u get pain medication for home and you'll do fine.

I would also recommend a abdominal binder band with velcro. That helped keep me secure and less pain.I bought mine on the web site Hyster Sisters. They have great information and other woman thst can answer questions.

I wish u luck and just take everything slow and don't over do anything

• Posted

Thank you for the advice Hun it's much appreciated going to ask about more pain meds after op as scared it won't be controlled! I also told them I didn't want op until after Xmas I have three children so need to be up and about for them

• Posted

Hi Sadie

I had hysterectomy at age 30. After much discussion with my surgeon we decided on the sub-total route which meant leaving the ovaries and therefore not needing HRT as the hormones would still be produced (he said not guaranteed but usually works that way).  I managed without HRT although the down side of sub total was that annual smear tests are needed.  Can't say I have noticed one way or the other whether it made any difference to the fibro but it certainly made a difference to me.  I must say not having to buy all the necessary stuff needed when one bleeds constantly was a great bonus!   Glad to hear you have been awarded a blue badge - something I am considering applying for but feel really nervous about it.  Good luck with the surgery and remember accept any help offered and pace yourself.

• Posted

We were going to leave mine but they are covered in cysts and endometriosis so that's it the lot has to go 😭

• Posted

I was 20 whenI had my hyster (everything out including overies) i'm now almost 40. I can't say it effected much since I was only told fibro last month, but I've been living with signs of it since around 1990 onwards. 

Though I do know my lower back pain flaired like crazy after the hyster and took close to a year to go back to normal and only to flair back up again in 2015 and never go away and only get worse until my GP granted my request to see another doc who told me fibro. 

• Posted

Hi Sadie. I had a hysterectomy in December. Like you at 37 it was a bit of a

Shock but I had a very large fibroid and I had already had failed embolization

As the monster would not shrink.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 10 years ago and have never had a flair

Up. That is until now.

I had a very big flair up after surgery where I couldn't stand anything

Touching my skin This lasted for a hellish few days.

Now I just ache from the waste down. My knees, legs and ankles really ache.

I feel like I have run a marathon.

I was also diagnosed with piriformis syndrome which is irritating my sciatic

Nerve so sitting down is agony.

I am currently having physiology and am looking at reviewing my amitriptyline.

I am not regretting the surgery but I wish I had been more mentally as well as

Physically prepared for the long battle to recovery. Thankfully I have a great

Boss so I am slowly getting back to regular life.

Make sure you get everything prepared for a painful recovery ( I truly hope

It is not). I have found useful after are:

Hot Water Bottle (of course 😁wink

Tens Machine ( bought from eBay for £6. Best money I have ever spent)

Hubby/Partner for massages 😉

Extra pillows

Ice cream (or favourite treat) and a box set.

Plus of course any pain killers they are willing to give you. I hope your

Recovery is a lot quicker than mine. Its very hard to be patient when your in

Pain. Good Luck 🍀💜

• Posted

Hi Hun I'm going in Friday so fingers crossed 🤞 did you have key hole surgery and are you on hormones,?

• Posted

Hi

Yes I had key hole surgery.Is that what your having?

Not on hormones as I was able to keep my ovaries.

I have 3 nice little crosses.

I hope it all goes well Friday

• Posted

No. When he got in there the surgeon found endometriosis as well so he

Told me all but my ovaries had gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.